Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three week stall one week after surgery?

My surgery was 10 days ago. I seem to be stuck at the same weight for the past 3 days. I was wondering if the weight I lost on the 2 week Opti-fast liquid diet plus the weight lost during my first week home would make for a 3 week stall. Has anyone experienced this so early after surgery? I know it's still early but could use some encouragement. And I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm eating between 500 - 650 calories a day. I've so far not experienced dumping. I even had 1/2 cup of pureed split pea Soup last night for dinner. The only thing different so far is that my pouch doesn't like cold Water. It definitely has to be room temperature.

I am surprised that you can get 1/2 cup in. I am guessing that your body is simply waiting to see what is going to happen before it continues to release body fat. I would not worry as long as you are following the plan.

Make sure you get your Water, I have found it is critical to weight loss.

I had many many stalls.. I found that by tracking my weight in my fitness pal I could see a pattern to my stalls.. I would lose a couple pounds.. Stall.. Lose a couple pounds etc.. But the important thing is the graph went down.. My body would freak out after losing a couple pounds and hold on and then release.. So after keeping track every day for the last 8 months I found I have been losing about 10 pounds a month.. I'm 3 pounds from a normal BMI and I thought many times the stall would never stop lol it will just have faith and patience..

I'm having a lot of clear Soup, I find it easier to get my 8 cups of Water that way, when they say water does that mean only clear water??? I had my op on 2 Jan and only lost a couple of pounds, I know my body is holding not it's fat with a tight grip, I'm not weighing myself everyday and being patient for the drop!!

Clear Soup definitely counts as Fluid intake.. Just watch the sodium level.. It could make your retain Water if you are consuming to much sodium.

@@Djmohr Gosh I hope the 1/2 cup of yogurt or Soup for a meal is not a problem. Sometimes it's 1/4 yogurt and then 1/4 unsweetened applesauce. I'm following the sample food plan they made for us for the first two weeks after surgery. It takes a little while to get it down but no where near 45 minutes to an hour like the plan says. More like half an hour at the most. Most days I manage to drink about 5 cups of Water.

Thanks for your insights. =)

@@Ivanova8, I would not worry about it. Every surgeon seems to have a differnt plan. As long as you follow it, you should have no problem.

I was just surprised because it was a while before I could fit that much in my tummy. now of course I can easily get in 1/2 cup but not much more.

It also depends on what I am eating.

@@allielee I love MFP! Isn't it great. So handy for tracking and knowing what you ate each day.

Thanks for letting me know that your weight loss was in fits and starts. So frustrating since I'm doing everything that the plan says and I hope that I'm not doing anything wrong. But if this is normal even at this early stage then I'll take a deep breath, try to relax and let the process work. Hopefully a month from now I'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

@@Dyros You make a good point. I'm sure my body got comfortable and now doesn't want to lose the weight. So I suppose it needs time to realize that no, I'm not starving and it's okay to let it go! =)

My surgery was 10 days ago. I seem to be stuck at the same weight for the past 3 days. I was wondering if the weight I lost on the 2 week Opti-fast liquid diet plus the weight lost during my first week home would make for a 3 week stall. Has anyone experienced this so early after surgery? I know it's still early but could use some encouragement. And I want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm eating between 500 - 650 calories a day. I've so far not experienced dumping. I even had 1/2 cup of pureed split pea Soup last night for dinner. The only thing different so far is that my pouch doesn't like cold Water. It definitely has to be room temperature.

I had, and am still having the same issue. I lost 12 pounds my 1 st week, and now at 6 weeks out I am still only down 20 pounds total. Lots of stalling in the early weeks. Very frustrating! ????

Edited by BearerOfLight

@@BearerOfLight Oy vey. I hope it does not continue like this indefinitely. There should be a magic pill or formula to make it go faster or at least at an even pace.

I used to walk 2 miles or more at least 3-4 times per week but I'd only been doing short walks since surgery. So on Wednesday I started walking further again so I hope that will help. I'm for sure looking forward to being cleared for gym exercises.

Here's to wishing for an easier next six weeks for you!

This 2 weeks of stalling is so frustrating when I am doing everything within the guidelines. I

even survived a 3 day family gathering which had goodies and sweets all over the place. I have

identified that beef has been my main choice the last couple weeks, stuffed peppers, meatloaf, andchili.

Has anyone else experienced this beef factor in stalling or reducing weight loss?

@@BearerOfLight Oy vey. I hope it does not continue like this indefinitely. There should be a magic pill or formula to make it go faster or at least at an even pace.

I used to walk 2 miles or more at least 3-4 times per week but I'd only been doing short walks since surgery. So on Wednesday I started walking further again so I hope that will help. I'm for sure looking forward to being cleared for gym exercises.

Here's to wishing for an easier next six weeks for you!

Thank you!