Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Caterers or Professional Chefs out there?

Hi, I am just starting the process but ready to get through the list of "must-dos" to get to my surgery date.

I am a wedding caterer and event planner at a large catering company. I am around incredible, yummy and plentiful food every single day at work. Is anyone out there in the food/hospitality business that can share tips on how they managed your business life after your surgery?

I am in sales - so much of my time is entertaining clients with drinks, dinners, etc. Not sure how to manage that part of my job while following the post op plan.

Thanks in advance!

S

I'm NOT a professional chef; but one of my greatest fears was not being able to cook for others, cook a lot of food and if I was going to be despondent that I couldn't eat a lot of food, etc.

I can cook for others, etc. That all worked out fine.

Initially, you will (or should be) so focused on not doing anything to violate your surgery, or to stretch out your stomach. That 'fear' [commitment] alone will give you the discipline to not do wrong.

Let them eat cake, etc. You'll learn how to carry that glass [champagne flute] of Water and make it last the whole night, etc. Pick the proteins--shrimp cocktails, crab cakes, etc. Later, you'll still get to eat some of that stuff, but be careful....one you get started with those carbs, it's hard to stop.

It will be nice to hear if there are any caterers here, to see their advice. ALSO read about some popular TV chef who had the sleeve. I forgot his name. he was on the TODAY Show. Google 'TV Chef Sleeve surgery Today' or something like that. Natalie M interviewed him.

Good luck.

I own two restaurants, have a successful catering company, AND do lots of personal appearances for food, cooking, restaurant consulting, etc.

My BIGGEST worry was how I would be able to work at my places (with all the food I love the most!) and not pick, snack, or just be miserable.

I had my surgery on Dec 16, 2014, and have lost 38 pounds. I worked a 12 hour day three days after my surgery.

I was prepared to grit my teeth, lock my jaw, and just be terribly miserable, but the truth is, so far, it hasn't been an issue for me. There have been exactly two times where I have said to myself, "I wish I could eat that," but when I realized I couldn't, I forgot about it quickly.

I also used to have a coffee cup in my hand, constantly refilled, drinking maybe two pots a day. I thought that would be awful, too, but now I just always have a Water bottle in my hand and it fulfills that habitual need.

I'm off to a great start here, and I wish you the same. I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years (and overweight just as long), so I know what a big change this will be. But I'm thinking about you and sending you great vibes.

Thank you for the replies....@@Bob B I am thrilled to have found you! Great to have someone that "gets it" as far as my worries. I have lots of questions if you wouldn't mind sharing!! Do you attend tastings with clients - and how do you handle that? We typically sit and sample full menus and wines with clients. If they say something is too salty or they don't like a sauce it helps for me to be able to taste it.

I should be approved and ready to schedule surgery the first week of May.....which of course is right smack in the middle of busy season for me. With multiple weddings almost every weekend from May 15 through the end of June, do you think I should wait until July for surgery? I was so happy to hear that you were back so quickly. Since I am in sales and the planning side, I'm not in the kitchen like you are so it is less physically demanding, but the stress is a killer. Do you think I'd be crazy to go ahead with surgery in May?

And yes, I'm over thinking this a bit!

Where are you in California? Our company is bringing our sales team to Napa and San Francisco this week for some fabulous food + wine.

I think you should do it as soon as you can, if you have already committed to having it done.

Yes, I need to be tasting with customers. I planned my surgery over the Christmas holidays so that all of my sales were behind me, and we were just executing parties, but the truth is this: Mostly, no one gives a shit about what you are doing with your food. No one has said to me, "why aren't you eating more of your food? "

If someone says something is too salty, say, "I'll make sure we ease up on the salt for your event."

I know it's hard to imagine that you can do this (I posted a similar "anyone in the restaurant business" post and got no responses), but I'm telling you that you can.

BB

When you get further post op..2+ years, it may be easier to slip. Suggestion would be to totally commit to a new way of eating and life change and the future you will not have a problem. ;)

Graham Elliot had the sleeve. TV chef from Masterchef.

Graham Elliot had the sleeve. TV chef from Masterchef.

Thanks woo woo! I've been reading a lot about Chef Elliot and very helpful.