Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Fills? Normal? When you actually start losing weight?

Had my surgery on 12/29/2014.

My first fill occured on 1/20/2015.

After reading some posts, I thought that they had already partially filled my band when it was put in. Yesterday the doctor said they only filled to have it snug against the stomach, but they did not actually consider that a "fill".

They filled me with "1 CC" of Fluid. I was told that each visit would add 1 CC until I got to "4", then it would only be increased at .25 CC. I can only come in for fills ever 3-4 weeks.

Question: Is this normal? Just 1 CC fills at a time? It seems that the weight loss would not really occur until I get to the green zone, and at that pace it would be months before I hit that point!

Thanks for everyone's help! I live in a rural area (3 hours away from my doctor), there is no support groups near me, so I rely upon this site for my help. Thanks again!!!

That's the way mine has been. Trust me .. you don't want too much too fast. I shot myself in the foot by trying to go too fast with it, and I've been fighting to get back on track. It didn't help that all of this happened right after Thanksgiving. I didn't gain a lot ... but it's enough that I could feel it. Take your time. Get used to the way your band feels. :)

I was banded on Oct 3, 2014 and for my first fill I was given 2cc as a "primer" and 6 weeks later I was given 1cc. Today I go for another fill and my doctor believes in slow steady fills to get you in that sweet spot (green zone) doing it to fast can actually be worse. I am also frustrated but I also realize its what is best for me. My doctor has a lot of success with his bands because of the way he does it. I also have my port in my chest (near my left armpit) and not my stomach so it makes fills so much easier. Hang in there.

My first fill was at 6 weeks and I was given 5 ccs. Then two weeks later I was given 2 more ccs. Then 4 weeks later another 1cc. Go back in 4 weeks to see how I'm doing

Same here, was bended 12/3... Went for post op on 12/29 and asked for doc for fill due feeling no restriction and swallowing just fine. To my surprise I had little less than 1cc which as explained to you, was just placed snug around the stomach. Doc placed the 1cc back plus one more (total 2). Another fill is on 1/26 for probably 1 more, I can eat freely but training to find that full feeling by measuring food and eating slow (or trying too lol).

I do wish I could get tight enough sooner but I trust my doctor, after all I allowed him to perform surgery on me :)

It must be tough with doctor being this far for you, however don't rush, you would not want to stretch your stoma or have slippage.

Like you I am learning will be a slower process for me than what I was predicting but you have to get the most out of your situation. Take your time ti learn to eat with the band even if it allows you to eat more than a cup. Band does not mean you won't be ever hungry again ;)

Good luck and hang in there, with me :)

Edited by lulalove

This is from someone whose doctor went to fast with fills. I was at 8.5 in a 14 cc band and started to have horrible problems. I have been unfilled and another doctor started slowly and I am at 5.5 where I don't have any problems need to watch what I eat but we should be doing that anyways. slowly if you can afford it is better. it gives you time to adjust. don't think the band will do all the work for you like I thought. some of my damage is irreversible. it is hard when you have no restriction to be patient. but eat as if you do have restriction. so when you do hit the green zone your eating habits are already established. I wish you loads of well wishes

"eat as if you do have restriction. so when you do hit the green zone your eating habits are already established."

Terry is right. My surgeon had this attitude. My post op protocol was super strict with six weeks of liquids followed by 800 calories a day. Holy Moses did I want more food.

I peppered the NUT with why why why and she said this early post op time was what my doc used to jump start a solid weight loss, get momentum going, and put good compliance habits in place. The nurse also had me on the treadmill day 2 after surgery. I was so damn complaint in those early weeks. I lost like crazy too.

Was I hungry? Sometimes yes. Most of the time though, with strict compliance, my body got appropriately hungry at mealtime and was satisfied with the small meals. When I started messing around and began snacking, it screwed that up and I then got hungry between meals. That quickly taught me to stop snacking.

Stopping exercise was the stupidest thing I did, because now it's really mentally hard for me to get back to it. I had a treadmill in my old house and I no longer do. But that's just an excuse. I am slowly adding a pathetically small amount of exercise back, and it's hard, but necessary if I want to get these last fifty pounds off.

I'll get there. But the motivation of the early weeks and months doesn't last indefinitely. So build those strong habits now. Good luck.

Ideally , you want to have less per every visit. Sounds crazy when you know you can handle more CC. Really, take the time and have the body get use to the adjustment and yourself with daily eating. I was banded 6 years ago and took 16 weeks to get myself adjusted to "Perfection" . I also had to have some Fluid removed when I started a job that required me to eat more Protein (outside construction work) , yet I have gotten back in the office and did have another adjustment to scale down the amount of food I have per meal. Remember , ideally 4-6 Oz of the right food. Should be good for you.

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Sounds like slow and steady is the key.

Seems like I am not that restricted right now (at a 1 CC still). Had a good size bowl of Soup last night (with corn, green Beans, black Beans, some meat). Thought I would be filled-up much quicker then I was, especially with the beans in the Soup.

Looking forward to getting back to the "full" feeling quickly (like I was right after the surgery).

my dr did1 cc at a time until we hit the sweet spot 5.5 cc which took just over 3 months then it started coming off for me and for my wife it was about about 2 months at 3.5 cc

I had 3 ccs at one month, another 3 around 3 weeks after that and went in today (3 weeks from last one) and got 1.5. I tried broth this evening and have thrown up twice and am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks because I think I have to puke again. I have been steadily losing, not too hungry, but have not felt a ton of restriction... Before now. I'm hoping this means green zone. LOL

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Sounds like slow and steady is the key.

Seems like I am not that restricted right now (at a 1 CC still). Had a good size bowl of Soup last night (with corn, green Beans, black Beans, some meat). Thought I would be filled-up much quicker then I was, especially with the beans in the Soup.

Looking forward to getting back to the "full" feeling quickly (like I was right after the surgery).

I did not feel restriction until 3cc currently added a week ago & went from 2cc to 3cc. A week into additional c. I am starting to feel restriction SPECIALLY when cheating. Example: rice and bread. Although it makes me feel miserable physically for 30 minutes, I am glad its reinforcing me to think twice now!!! I still don't feel at green zone but know its around the corner! Oh and weight started coming off a tad bit faster... yessssss! :)