Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saving Money on Supplements & Protein

Let me start off by saying that I always look for a way to save money...when I can. Here's something I discovered recently.

I was getting in some walking the other day in costco and stumbled, almost literally over the Kirkland brand Calcium Chews. A bag of 180 is $9 versus $30 for 90 when I bought them at the doctors office last month.

Doctor also sells some really good Ostrim Protein sticks (I got the habanero beef and elk stick) for $2 at the doctor's office. Go to the company direct and they're $1.25. http://www.protos-inc.com/ostrim_Elk_Hab.html There are a lot of flavors, they're really meaty; don't think Slim Jim cause these are 2 oz.

Hope this helps!

my number one rule......"never buy anything at the doctors office"......they're rich enough.....(and I'm not) <_<

And you're right about costco......I buy alot of stuff there.... and thanks to my Vacuum Sealer, I can package most bulk stuff in smaller sleeve size meals for the freezer. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I am the queen of coupons and bargain shopping. I compare shop for everything.

Good tip, thanks!

I believe the calcium chews at costco are Calcium carbonate. Please check the label and correct me if I am wrong because I would love to buy them. I was told only calcium citrate because we can't absorb calcium carbonate as well as calcium citrate.

Sorry, didnt realize I was responding to a "guys room" post I always look at "new content" not at individual forums

I believe the calcium chews at costco are Calcium carbonate. Please check the label and correct me if I am wrong because I would love to buy them. I was told only calcium citrate because we can't absorb calcium carbonate as well as calcium citrate.< /p>

Michele,

I know directions from different doctors are often different. My doctor and dietician indicated that calcium citrate was necessary for bypass patients but for sleeve patients, calcium carbonate is fine. The dietician actually pointed me towards the calcium chews at costco as a low cost alternative.

Randy

I was getting in some walking the other day in costco and stumbled, almost literally over the Kirkland brand calcium chews.

Bought those same ones this weekend. They are pretty tasty, too!

Thanks for the tip on the meat sticks, I'll be checking those out.

Both of my surgeons, from band and sleeve, as well as my nutrtionist told me that Calcium carbonate is a very cheap kind of calcium, and our tiny stomachs would not absorb much calcium from them. All 3 agreed that we need calcium citrate.

Both of my surgeons, from band and sleeve, as well as my nutrtionist told me that Calcium carbonate is a very cheap kind of calcium, and our tiny stomachs would not absorb much calcium from them. All 3 agreed that we need calcium citrate.

I am not sure why they would tell you that since no nutrients are absorbed in the stomach, they are absorbed in the small intestine. Neither form of calcium is absorbed in the stomach.

I am not sure either but I know that I don't want to get osteoporosis. If all 3 of them who don't even know each other, independently recommended Calcium citrate that's good enough for me.

Also, if you're on a PPI it will reduce your absorption of Calcium.< /p>

I am not sure why they would tell you that since no nutrients are absorbed in the stomach, they are absorbed in the small intestine. Neither form of Calcium is absorbed in the stomach.

Not true actually - B12 is absorbed almost exclusively by the stomach, as is alcohol. My understanding of calcium citrate vs carbonate is that there isn't enough acid production to break down the carbonate enough for your body to absorb it properly. calcium citrate is a much more bioavailable form that doesn't require as much acid to break down.

Not true actually - B12 is absorbed almost exclusively by the stomach, as is alcohol. My understanding of calcium citrate vs carbonate is that there isn't enough acid production to break down the carbonate enough for your body to absorb it properly. calcium citrate is a much more bioavailable form that doesn't require as much acid to break down.

efierke,

Please provide a reference or source for your assertion that what I stated about Calcium being absorbed in the small intestine and not the stomach is not true. Also, are you able to cite a medical reference that actually states, B12 is absorbed in the stomach? If so, please provide the reference.

B12 is not absorbed in the stomach. B12 is absorbed in the small intestine. Bound B12, that is B12 contained in food we eat, rather than supplements we take, requires "intrinsic factor" which is produced in the stomach to be broken down and absorbed in the small intestine. It is NOT "absorbed almost exclusively in the stomach" as you assert.

From the Merck Manual which you can find here: http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/disorders_of_nutrition/vitamins/vitamin_b12.html

"Vitamin B12 occurs in foods that come from animals. Normally, Vitamin B12 is readily absorbed in the last part of the small intestine (ileum), which leads to the large intestine. However, to be absorbed, the vitamin must combine with intrinsic factor, a Protein produced in the stomach. Without intrinsic factor, vitamin B12 moves through the intestine and is excreted in stool."

From another source located here: http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/y2809e/y2809e0b.htm

Absorption

"The absorption of vitamin B12 in humans is complex (1, 2). Vitamin B12 in food is bound to Proteins and is released from the Proteins by the action of a high concentration of hydrochloric acid present in the stomach. This process results in the free form of the vitamin, which is immediately bound to a mixture of glycoproteins secreted by the stomach and salivary glands. These glycoproteins, called R-binders (or haptocorrins), protect vitamin B12 from chemical denaturation in the stomach. The stomach’s parietal cells, which secrete hydrochloric acid, also secrete a glycoprotein called intrinsic factor. Intrinsic factor binds vitamin B12 and ultimately enables its active absorption. Although the formation of the vitamin B12 - intrinsic factor complex was initially thought to happen in the stomach, it is now clear that this is not the case. At an acidic pH the affinity of the intrinsic factor for vitamin B12 is low whereas its affinity for the R-binders is high. When the contents of the stomach enter the duodenum, the R-binders become partly digested by the pancreatic proteases, which causes them to release their vitamin B12. Because the pH in the duodenum is more neutral than that in the stomach, the intrinsic factor has a high binding affinity to vitamin B12, and it quickly binds the vitamin as it is released from the R-binders. The vitamin B12-intrinsic factor complex then proceeds to the lower end of the small intestine, where it is absorbed by phagocytosis by specific ileal receptors (1, 2)."

I can produce at least another 20 medical references that clearly state that food bound B12 is absorbed in the small intestine and not the stomach if you would like me to do so.

Efierke,

I did not address your statement on alcohol. Less than 20% of alcohol is absorbed in the stomach, the remaining 80%+ is absorbed in the small intestine. I can provide numerous references supporting this if you would like me to.

Edited by safemancsp