Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How upfront was your surgeon about a goal weight?

My surgeon has not murmured a peep about a goal weight for me.

She's only given her practice averages based on each surgery.

If your surgeon gave a goal weight, who's was more motivating theirs or yours? How many pounds were they different?

Reading all this stuff about bounce weight and stretch goals etc.....

My surgeon didn't until after surgery and then he used the weight chart to determine what my excess weight was and what was the average weight loss I could expect. For me, not an issue as I do not have a goal weight in mind. With my age and BMI being about the same (past 50), I knew that I was a walking poster child for co-morbidities. 100% of my reason for doing this was to prevent illness. I am very lucky not to already have diabetes or other conditions and I don't want to get them! So, anything that gets me a BMI under the "obese" range is good for me!

My bariatric surgeon never gave me a goal. We didn't even talk about it. I did have input however from two other sources. My PCP and my orthopaedist. My PCP told me that if I could get down to 150 lbs. she would be quite satisfied. My orthopaedist said I wasn't a good candidate for joint replacement till I was under 200 lbs. I weighed 267 at the time.

I haven't changed my eating since I was banded two years ago. I was losing consistently so I figured the weight would stop coming off when my body was done shedding. I'm probably done at this point as I am basically staying in the neighborhood of 115-118 lbs. So 'technically' I surpassed my goal of weighing 150 but again...it was a very arbitrary goal. My BMI at 150 was still in the overweight category. But I also know that BMI is far from an exact measurement as well.

My opinion...and it's just my opinion...is that your goal should be a healthier and happier life...and not go by a number. In fact...my goal was really to lose enough weight to get my hips replaced and that goal was met when I weighed under 200 lbs. The remaining 85 lbs. I lost was gravy as far as I'm concerned.

My surgeon asked me what I thought my goal should be, and I told him, and then he said he thought that with my age and height I should be able to lose to about ten pounds below that. From the way our discussion went I got the feeling that it was more of a motivator than a measurement of failure or success, and I don't think he's the type to be anything but positive about weight loss regardless of goal. I plan to stop losing when I feel comfortable and healthy, and only use the number as a guideline.

I know. I know gowalking.......I'm definitely happy I made this decision for health and quality of life reasons. Maybe I came off as a weight loss surgery rookie asking about goal weight right out the gate, but I'm not. Well, I am new to the surgery part of it, but I've lost 140 pounds and kept it off within 15 pounds prior to having surgery....for 8-9 years....

I'm bored and home for several weeks just striking up conversation..being a chatty Cathy, but thanks for the reminder.... :-) not planning a weigh in for a while..

My doc did not even want to talk about the scale. We set goals that resulted in my health improving. No more diabetes, Gerd, high blood pressure, sleep apnea. I do have a non scale goal I have been working towards and I am well on my way. My personal goal is to ride a bike this spring!

I used to hate excercise which is part of the reason I got to this point.

I excercise regularly now and I rather miss it if I skip a day.

My surgeon did not give goals. The rationale was to not discourage someone like me (high BMI). They said that sometimes people lose 100# but are bummed because they didn't meet the goal and lose 150# for example.

My personal goal was to get under 200# and MAINTAIN it.

Then, when I got under 200# i decided to go for a goal weight of 158 which meant I lost a nice round 150#. I lost more after that (and have regained some so back to goal!) but i keep my goal at 158.

He gave me one before my surgery which is 125, I do better though by setting small goals for myself, I'm 8lbs from losing my 1st 100lbs and that's my goal right now 8lbs, my next goal will be to get to 199, and so forth and so on.

My Surgeon never gave me a goal but rather asked me what my goal was. I asked a couple of times throughout my journey (in the early stages) about a goal and I was simply told..."Just do your best and see what you can do with it. Goal is to live a healthy, happy life"

I started thinking he did not want to put pressure on me by giving me a goal weight especially while pushing 488lbs.

My goal was 220. I figured if I could hit 220lbs again I could live with that....

My surgeon never mentioned a goal weight during our initial appointments but I noted on some of the paperwork I received that it stated I could expect to reach a goal weight of 160 by my one year surgery date based on the excess weight I had to lose. I think I was 236 when I started the program, 226 day of surgery (April 2014) I reached 160 pounds at around 9 months out. I initially thought I wanted to get down to 140. I'm currently 158 and at 5'7", I don't think I have that much fat left on my body to lose another 18 pounds the next 3 months. Geez, never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would ever be saying that!!!!

Edited by Bluesea71

my surgeon asked me what i wanted and then said my goal should be about 20 pounds lower. lol Bit my goal weight on my ticker etc is the one he gave me. my goal weight is what i assume my bounce/maintenance weight will be. but we shall see id love to beat them both.

My surgeon asked if I had a goal. At the time I was aiming for 175 as that put me at a 25 BMI. He said I would easily blow by that so I decided on 160.

My surgeon asked, " What weight did you feel most healthy at?" I said 170 and he said sounds good!

My surgeon's dietician gave me an expected goal after doing a body fat analysis and asking a lot of questions about my past and present weight and activities. My personal goal was 10 pounds less than hers based on what I weighed in my 20's when I was very fit and active. I currently weigh 13 pounds less than that. Your body will make the ultimate decision on your final goal weight.

My Surgeon is honestly the best..he's easy on the eyes LOL..and he asked questions and listen really well...Yes at the very first meeting he did asked what are my goals and what is the ideal weight for some one my height...We discussed the different types of surgeries and what was best for me....I have my own goals and am working hard to get there...Good luck ALL!!!