Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. My name is kelly. I needed a little bit of advice. You see, I am 19 years old and got banded in august of 2014. Well i cheated from the very begginning. I ate mcdonalds two days after surgery. I havent gone back to see my doctor. I kind of just never showed up to my appts for my fills and stuff. I am able to eat as much as i could before surgery. Like for instance, not too long ago I ate taco bell nachos, two burritos, and a crunch wrap and could probably fit a little more if i really wanted to. Its no problem. But I am ready to get back on track and do things how i am supposed to and lose this weight. No more excuses. It is all my decision and if i cheat its not because its hard it is because i chose to do it. Now I am choosing to lose this weight. I just need a little help. I don't have any stomach pain. Does that mean that my band is fine? no dilation no slippage nothing like that? If so, should I go on a liquid diet for a week, then soft foods, then regular foods. start over with the basics before i call my doctor and go get a fill done? What should I do?? Please help. I have been so lost and havent even been acting like a banded pt. I think I am ready now. I need help getting back to basics because i think i weigh more now then i did before surgery :( P.S. I have tons of Protein shakes that i get in the mail every month that my insurance pays for, do think that I should be on that for a week?

Ok. First thing I would do is get in to see my doc and nutritionist. I know you are prob embarrassed to see them because you've ditched appointments and have been making bad food choices but they are there to help you. Until you get in to see them I would take a few days and do liquids just to restart the mindset. You really might need to think about a counselor or therapist to make sure you are ready and able to deal with all of these changes. I wish you the best. I would have given anything to have done this at your age and not waited until I was in my late 30s. You can do this!!

I second everything 2babutterfly wrote. Just the fact that you take responsibility for your poor choices means that you can...and will succeed.

Good luck and come here as often as you need to for support.

Never give up on yourself!! Good for you for facing this. You can stop potential damage and get right to losing the weight right now. Consider the last few months a poor choice and a Detour, but today is when it turns around. Call and make an appointment. Get in to see the doc and NUT asap. If you have Protein shakes sure, use them. No need to starve yourself. Replace a lousy food choice like fast fried food with a Protein shake today. Eat some lean Protein at every meal first. Don't drink with your meal or for half an hour afterward. Your band needs to be checked out and you may get a strict menu from your doc, but listen to him or her and chalk it up to experience.

Here's one thing I will say. When I was nineteen I thought I was indestructible. I abused my body and overate. I smoked. I never exercised. I became obese in my twenties and because I was always able to get up and do it again the next day I thought nothing of it. Well all the years of obesity and bad choices left me with shot knees, back disc problems, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, chronic bronchitis in winter, infertility, hemorrhoids, Migraines and half a dozen prescription medicines and half a dozen OTC medicines just to get through each day.

At 53 I got my LapBand. As you and I know, it doesn't do the work for us.

But as you don't know yet BUT I DO, once you really commit to the banded lifestyle, it gets easier and the band does help you stick to good eating. Once you stick to good eating, the weight starts coming off. Once the weight starts coming off, you feel better. Once you feel better, you start to make other changes, like moving more. Once you move more, the weight comes off faster. Once the weight comes off faster, your self confidence increases. Once your self confidence increases, you begin to believe you are worth it. And once you believe you are worth it, you've made a lasting change.

You can do this. You don't need to waste your twenties and thirties and forties. You have a LapBand and a supportive community here and a doc and a NUT who all want you to succeed.

Take this step today and save your life. You are worth it. We will help.

Make that call! There is a learning curve with the band. You have had it installed but now you need to go through the process. The band works by dimming your appetite so you can make good choices but it has to be adjusted properly and this can take a little time. It's all about the Followup! Get in to see your medical professionals--they are your partners in this process. I am some one who benefitted from seeing a therapist to sort out food issues. When you got your band you were choosing your healthy future -- now it's time for the next step. Keep choosing yourself, choosing to show up for yourself. You are here and that is great. We are all behind you. No shame in struggling or setbacks -- let that go and know that you can do this. You are deserving of all good things and health is at the top of the list. Once that appetite monster is off your back it will be so much easier!

Call your Dr. at least let him know. Don't be embarassed you can't undo what you did, just move forward, My Dr. was upset with me for eating muddy buddy chex mix 1 month after my surgery so mentally prepare yourself, he might lecture you, don't let that stop you from going though, it's not pleasant to have someone tell you what you already know, but it's not the end of the world, my guess is your Dr. wants to see you succeed as much as you want to succeed. I'm not saying eating all that was okay right after surgery, it was risky, but your not the 1st one to do it or the last. Good luck.

As the others say. You have accepted the problem, now get help to deal with it.

Firstly, you wanted the band to lose weight so you must have really wanted that loss!

Secondly, without any fill in your band, you may well have done no harm but that doesn't mean you aren't going to! This is serious stuff. Not just discomfort. If you damage the tissues round your band nasty things can happen. This is going to sound over-dramatic but it can even cause cancer. We can get reflux without even being aware of it and acid attacks the tissue in the throat which can cause oesophageal cancer! OK, very worst scenarios but, yes, I am trying in a way to frighten you! Cancer is unlikely but slips can be painful and can lead to further surgery. We can damage the vagus nerve which sits just above the band and is crucial for many bodily processes.

With a loose band - none of this is likely. But it is possible. Silly to run risks like that at your age.

See your doctor, see a nutritionist, see a therapist.

Best wishes.

As the others say. You have accepted the problem, now get help to deal with it.

Firstly, you wanted the band to lose weight so you must have really wanted that loss!

Secondly, without any fill in your band, you may well have done no harm but that doesn't mean you aren't going to! This is serious stuff. Not just discomfort. If you damage the tissues round your band nasty things can happen. This is going to sound over-dramatic but it can even cause cancer. We can get reflux without even being aware of it and acid attacks the tissue in the throat which can cause oesophageal cancer! OK, very worst scenarios but, yes, I am trying in a way to frighten you! Cancer is unlikely but slips can be painful and can lead to further surgery. We can damage the vagus nerve which sits just above the band and is crucial for many bodily processes.

With a loose band - none of this is likely. But it is possible. Silly to run risks like that at your age.

See your doctor, see a nutritionist, see a therapist.

Best wishes.

I agree with what everyone else is saying! I have done the walk of shame to my drs office many times. I haven't lost any weight in a long time and have started gaining back. I made the commitment to myself and my dr. that I would go to the appointments and tell the truth. Believe me, they've heard it all and want to help. I've also started seeing a counselor who works with post-surgery patients to help deal with food addiction.

I feel so horrible. I got the lap band 2 years ago and yet I still continue to overeat. But, here I am. Today is a new day and together we CAN and WILL succeed.