Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months out- hit a big wall. Not losing at all

I also want to drop my last 20-30lbs so I can get my BMI under 30. I decided to go back to my pre-op diet for a week or 2 in hopes that it kicks everything back in gear. Lost 2 lbs since yesterday so thats cool.

I think adding carbs back into the mix really was the beginning of my stall. I really think it kicks off maintenance mode. I think the NUT's and Dr. realize that we have to get back to a normal diet and they hold off carbs because they know they just mess everything up. In all honesty we dont need carbs.. they just add variety to our limited food pool. Plus they are yummy, lol.

I think this is the part of the journey that is the hardest because its really up to us to figure out how change. We have been given the gift of a surgery and a plan, which has built in controls but now were kind of left to discover the rest. I think this is when a little personal or group therapy might be really helpful because mentally were still that little fat kid with keys to the candy store.

17 hours ago, DeeM said:

Hello, I'm 9 months out and have only dropped about 10lbs in the past 4 months. I'm down 113lbs (CW174) total. I feel great! I'm exercising and enjoying it. BUT, I want to lose 15-20lbs more. I'm curious how many Protein grams you've increased to? I know my weakness is my carbs. I strength train and have been told carbs aren't always bad....but for me they are my weakness. I need to find the happy medium. I feel I go way overboard on them. Lol I'd like to start losing regularly again. Seems it's only been 1-3lbs a month. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

It's definitely the carbs. I'm still on a low carb diet roughly 50-60 net carbs per day, but I do allow a cheat day on Sundays. Just to shake up the routine a bit. I used to average about 70-80 grams a day. Now I'm at 85-95 on my workout days only. And that depends on which one I do that day. I do AquaFit, Step plus abs, Body works plus abs, and some light weight training. I try not to do much weight training since I'm still in the losing stage.

I'm still only eating 3 meals a day with a Protein Shake.

3 hours ago, Brian B said:

I also want to drop my last 20-30lbs so I can get my BMI under 30. I decided to go back to my pre-op diet for a week or 2 in hopes that it kicks everything back in gear. Lost 2 lbs since yesterday so thats cool.

I think adding carbs back into the mix really was the beginning of my stall. I really think it kicks off maintenance mode. I think the NUT's and Dr. realize that we have to get back to a normal diet and they hold off carbs because they know they just mess everything up. In all honesty we dont need carbs.. they just add variety to our limited food pool. Plus they are yummy, lol.

I think this is the part of the journey that is the hardest because its really up to us to figure out how change. We have been given the gift of a surgery and a plan, which has built in controls but now were kind of left to discover the rest. I think this is when a little personal or group therapy might be really helpful because mentally were still that little fat kid with keys to the candy store.

I still go to the support groups each month. And I seen my bariatric team every 3 months to stay on track. They have been helpful, for me I just try to stay away from junk food. My Portion Control is good

The pre-op diet is working .. losing about 2 lbs a day, but I am not sure if I can keep it up. I don't have physical hunger pains .. they are all mental. Its like I look forward to eating which is really turning out to be my biggest problem. I also have the biggest cravings for salty food which of course all junk food lol. I guess eating a bad of fritos is better then a bag of jolly ranchers. I never craved salt or even put it on anything before my surgery, so that is new.

At this stage I have come to realize that my eating plan is really my life plan, I seemed to be suppressing this. I think in the back of my head I was saying to myself .. just get through this and you will be better! Over the last week it is becoming clear that restricting what I eat is a good thing and just because they make Fritos, doesn't mean you have to eat them =D

What ever happened to finding normal...

I am trying to come at this as, this is my new "normal." All my friends ask - when can you start eating pizza, mexican food, etc., when can you start drinking again. It drives me crazy!!! I continually tell them, I can have anything I want right NOW. I'm making the choice NOT to have them because those foods/alcohol are what got me here in the first place. Might have to find new friends - those skinny b*&^es!

Y'all wanted to know how those of us who posted long ago are doing so I'm doing just that!

I hit my "ideal body weight" (according to standard charts) a year after my surgery. And have maintained that +/- 2 lbs ever since.

Got pneumonia in the hospital so was incapacitated for weeks but eventually got back to "normal" recovery. Had the usual stalls, Hair loss, etc Weighing only once a week helped keep the "stalls" in perspective.

I was genuinely hungry just days after the surgery which scared me because most people aren't. But it all worked out okay.

FWIW, I think the two things that have helped me lose/keep off the weight so far are:

- During the "honeymoon period" I intentionally minimized sweetened things, including artificial sweeteners. My "sweet tooth" is still there for sure, but it's much more sensitive - things I used to love are just too darned sweet now.

- Most of the food I eat is or comes from plants, so it's naturally high in Fiber (fills you up) and nutrients, and naturally low in unhealthy fats and cholesterol E.g. Legumes, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits, and healthy whole starches (mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes, & corn).

- I've been one of the "lucky" ones who does get dumping syndrome There's no denying that that has helped a sweets-a-holiday like me. My friends who do not dump seem to struggle a lot more to lose all their desired wt and keep it off. I hope some day the surgeons figure out what causes it so that everyone who wants that outcome can have it

On 5/18/2017 at 10:53 AM, YeaMe said:

I am trying to come at this as, this is my new "normal." All my friends ask - when can you start eating pizza, mexican food, etc., when can you start drinking again. It drives me crazy!!! I continually tell them, I can have anything I want right NOW. I'm making the choice NOT to have them because those foods/alcohol are what got me here in the first place. Might have to find new friends - those skinny b*&^es!

LOL .. exactly. I have had the same "trouble" and people just don't get it.

2 hours ago, talkingmountain said:

Y'all wanted to know how those of us who posted long ago are doing so I'm doing just that!

I hit my "ideal body weight" (according to standard charts) a year after my surgery. And have maintained that +/- 2 lbs ever since.

Got pneumonia in the hospital so was incapacitated for weeks but eventually got back to "normal" recovery. Had the usual stalls, hair loss, etc Weighing only once a week helped keep the "stalls" in perspective.

I was genuinely hungry just days after the surgery which scared me because most people aren't. But it all worked out okay.

FWIW, I think the two things that have helped me lose/keep off the weight so far are:

- During the "honeymoon period" I intentionally minimized sweetened things, including artificial sweeteners. My "sweet tooth" is still there for sure, but it's much more sensitive - things I used to love are just too darned sweet now.

- Most of the food I eat is or comes from plants, so it's naturally high in Fiber (fills you up) and nutrients, and naturally low in unhealthy fats and cholesterol E.g. Legumes, nuts, seeds, veggies, fruits, and healthy whole starches (mostly potatoes, sweet potatoes, & corn).

- I've been one of the "lucky" ones who does get dumping syndrome There's no denying that that has helped a sweets-a-holiday like me. My friends who do not dump seem to struggle a lot more to lose all their desired wt and keep it off. I hope some day the surgeons figure out what causes it so that everyone who wants that outcome can have it

Thanks for the update. I too wish I had the dumping but I do feel sick if I eat too much too fast.

I to am struggling 9 months out can't seem to lose any more weight I've lost 80 so far no dumping ever pick up on sweets also eating more food I need help suggesting about getting back on track

10 minutes ago, sweetz428 said:

I to am struggling 9 months out can't seem to lose any more weight I've lost 80 so far no dumping ever pick up on sweets also eating more food I need help suggesting about getting back on track

re-think your food....portion size .. weight everything ..

therapy ... losing weight is taking care of a symptom of something else .. have out figured out why yet?

pre-op diet ... use your pre-op diet for a week or 2 to get back into the post op plan .. remember back when you ate what you needed and not more food?

Your surgery can't lose weight for you.. its not a magic pill. If you eat 2000 calories and you burn 2000 calories you won't lose weight. You also can't use exercise to lose weight.. you have to realize its all about what you eat and how much you eat. When you stall and you don't see those number falling you will feel depressed but you have to realize you will stop losing at some point. This needs to be addressed.

I stalled out around 8-9 months and haven't lost any but I was happy with where I was at. I missed getting on the scale and seeing a smaller number. This also coincides with when my plan allowed us to start eating carbs as a portion. Carbs are the root of all evil. Have you increased your carbs? Maybe to much?

I did my pre-op diet this week and have lost 6 lbs... its not hard to lose weight when you strictly follow your plan.. I think the problem for most when they hit 7+ months out is that we are allowed to add things off the menu and we have proved that we suck at eating correctly :P Really think like you did back in Month 1, 2 3 .. and realize where you are going wrong. Its not the surgery's fault.

Don't get discouraged .. make better choices.

re-think your food....portion size .. weight everything ..
therapy ... losing weight is taking care of a symptom of something else .. have out figured out why yet?
pre-op diet ... use your pre-op diet for a week or 2 to get back into the post op plan .. remember back when you ate what you needed and not more food?
Your surgery can't lose weight for you.. its not a magic pill. If you eat 2000 calories and you burn 2000 calories you won't lose weight. You also can't use exercise to lose weight.. you have to realize its all about what you eat and how much you eat. When you stall and you don't see those number falling you will feel depressed but you have to realize you will stop losing at some point. This needs to be addressed.
I stalled out around 8-9 months and haven't lost any but I was happy with where I was at. I missed getting on the scale and seeing a smaller number. This also coincides with when my plan allowed us to start eating carbs as a portion. Carbs are the root of all evil. Have you increased your carbs? Maybe to much?
I did my pre-op diet this week and have lost 6 lbs... its not hard to lose weight when you strictly follow your plan.. I think the problem for most when they hit 7+ months out is that we are allowed to add things off the menu and we have proved that we suck at eating correctly [emoji14] Really think like you did back in Month 1, 2 3 .. and realize where you are going wrong. Its not the surgery's fault.
Don't get discouraged .. make better choices.

Great motivator! :)

I really wish we had better support groups in my area. I found the support group to be a joke. It's a mandatory thing that you have to attend one support group for pre-op requirements and get it signed off by the person running the group. So 95% who go are just there to get their paper signed and haven't even had surgery yet. So what support are they? So I stopped going. Just wish I could find another. I'm thinking of putting in a complaint but have been too busy...kids, work, sports, sports, and oh did I mention sports?! Lol

I'm looking to find a therapist. I also don't find the support groups that valuable. But they are for some people and maybe they are when you combine it with a therapist. One of the only reasons I keep going back to my support group is that I really like the people in the group and we have bonded a bit. In fact, one day, some of us got together and cooked all day and packaged the food up into nice portion sizes. It was great. But, maybe look for a therapist that deals with food issues.

I'm looking to find a therapist. I also don't find the support groups that valuable. But they are for some people and maybe they are when you combine it with a therapist. One of the only reasons I keep going back to my support group is that I really like the people in the group and we have bonded a bit. In fact, one day, some of us got together and cooked all day and packaged the food up into nice portion sizes. It was great. But, maybe look for a therapist that deals with food issues.

Great idea. That's great that you've made some friends with surgery in common.

@sweetz428 I disagree slightly with Brian B about carbs (complex carbs are healthy and filling -- as long as you don't overdo them), but everything else he said is spot on! Take his advice. Go back to basics: eat 4-6 meals a day (measure if you have trouble telling when you're full). Take small bites & chew well. Use small plates, & baby forks/spoons. Don't drink before/during/after meals. Exercise daily. Eat food that nourishes your body rather than harms it.