Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want the band removed - not sure of revision- help?

I had the lap band surgery done in 2008. It never worked as promised for anything. It never caused me to have satiety. It just made it painful to eat. My surgeon was inexperienced and put a 4cc band in but told me it was 10cc so I was confused at to why 3cc of fill was causing me so many problems. He ordered an upper GI and found out why and immediately took out 1.5 cc (nothing was getting through). He had unrealistic expectations for weight loss (wanted 10-15 lbs in 3 weeks post surgery and without any fill). I left him and went to another doctor at another hospital who was satisfied with my weight loss at that point. However, I always had left shoulder pain (my original doctor never heard of this), I never felt satisfied, none of my vital statistics improved, and neither did my back pain. So, after a major stuck episode in 2009 that took me to the ER, all the fill was removed. And I only went back to the doctor I think once after that - haven't been back in years.

I still get some stuck episodes but have learned how to make myself throw up. Very unpleasant. And the left shoulder pain. And the ability to eat the wrong but not the right foods.

So, I want this band out and am taking the initial steps to do so, however, I don't know if I want to go through another surgery - gastric sleeve - at this time. After all the failures of the band I don't know if I have the motivation to not eat this type of food or that type (e.g. bread, Pasta, rice - you know all the stuff the band has problems with).

I am 64 years old and although so many say the sleeve is what they thought the band would be - I am not sure at my age I can go through all this again.

How much follow up is there to the sleeve? Do you lose your hair? Do you get stuck? Are there foods you can't eat (not because of calories but because of the sleeve)?

I'm not looking for any easy way out - but I have to be honest that my motivation isn't what it was 7 years ago due to all the disappointments already.

Any suggestions?

I am 64 yrs. old also. I was sleeved Sept. 26th, a Friday morning. I went to a surgeon at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I had minor nausea coming out of anesthesia (usual for me), that was it. By Sunday morning I felt as though nothing had happened. I had no pain. I learned to eat slowly and leave the extra on my plate. I can eat anything I want but find that I want to eat the healthy food. I do eat carbs, but a limited amount; really don't want much of them. I keep track of my Protein grams and the liquids I drink on a spreadsheet. For me this is easy peezy. I'm so glad I did this. No regrets.

I was banded in 2001 and had a similar experience. I had it removed in September 2011 because it was slipped, pouch was dialated, danger it could suddenly slip further and cut off ability to swallow Water. I had the same fears you express about the sleeve so I didn't commit to revision. I was so hungry and frankly kinda down after the band removal. I was grieving that whole failure. Anyway my raging hunger made me realize I needed WLS and I was sleeved in Dec 2011

I lost 150# in 14 m months to get to goal. The sleeve has worked for me but it is still alot of effort for me. No pain or vomiting though!

I am 64 yrs. old also. I was sleeved Sept. 26th, a Friday morning. I went to a surgeon at a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I had minor nausea coming out of anesthesia (usual for me), that was it. By Sunday morning I felt as though nothing had happened. I had no pain. I learned to eat slowly and leave the extra on my plate. I can eat anything I want but find that I want to eat the healthy food. I do eat carbs, but a limited amount; really don't want much of them. I keep track of my Protein grams and the liquids I drink on a spreadsheet. For me this is easy peezy. I'm so glad I did this. No regrets.

BeagleLover,

Was your surgery revision surgery? If so - when were you banded?

I was banded in 2001 and had a similar experience. I had it removed in September 2011 because it was slipped, pouch was dialated, danger it could suddenly slip further and cut off ability to swallow Water. I had the same fears you express about the sleeve so I didn't commit to revision. I was so hungry and frankly kinda down after the band removal. I was grieving that whole failure. Anyway my raging hunger made me realize I needed WLS and I was sleeved in Dec 2011

I lost 150# in 14 m months to get to goal. The sleeve has worked for me but it is still alot of effort for me. No pain or vomiting though!

I have no fill in my band. I am always hungry now, so what is the point of having this band in me? It caused nothing but problems when filled, never caused me to have satiety and even with no fill I still have shoulder pain, episodes of being stuck and it has never caused me to lose weight - filled or unfilled. I just want it out. Not sure of the sleeve yet. My appointment is next week but if the removal and sleeve requires two separate surgeries then I am inclined not to get the sleeve. I am tired of jumping through all the hoops.

@, No it was not a revision.

@@Cleo's Mom, I can understand your reluctance to go forward, but please don't give up based on your experience with the band. I've never had a stuck feeling and I can eat anything I want. I can't eat a lot, but I'm not restricted. There is no way I could have lost what I have without the sleeve. I wish the same for you.

Hi Cleo`s Mom, I too had a really bad experience with the band it never worked for me.I veered between no restriction and violent vomiting.I had to have it removed as an emergency as I could not even hold down Water even with it completely empty.I know some people are fine but it was a complete nightmare for me.I felt so low and such a failure after that it has taken me almost 2 years to have a sleeve.The difference is as between night and day.I have had a really trouble free surgery and was back at work in 10 days and I am 65years old.For the first time in my life I feel free of the torment of being out of control with my eating.

If you were a loved one of mine I would absolutely say have a sleeve it is the best decision I ever made.Please message me if you have any fears.Pippinleicester.

I met with my doctor today (this is not the doctor who placed the band) and she said she could do the removal of the band and revision to sleeve at the same time. I am required by my insurance to do the 6 months pre-op diet along with all the other testing required (psych eval; chest x-ray, sleep study, etc..).

I feel a bit overwhelmed at this point. I mean I am 64 years old. Having lost around 75 pounds on the lap band journey (60 lbs. from 6 month dieting and 2 week liquid pre and 2 week liquid post op dieting) with only 15 pounds from the band. And I always felt hungry even though I couldn't eat more. It was like the bottom part of my stomach was saying - hey I'm empty - I need food in me. And indeed that is how a normal stomach works - when it is filled with food it stretches and sends the message to the brain - I'm full/satisfied. I NEVER got that with the band.

Anyway, I have gained 30 lbs back and am at a BMI of 35. I am less inclined to be doing this for medical reasons as none of my medical conditions improved with my weight loss - particularly my severe back problems where all those doctors urged me to lose weight to help. It didn't.

So, now I want to do it look thinner and look better and feel better.

I guess I am just looking for words of encouragement that this is the right choice at my age. After all, this is elective surgery.

Thanks!

I also posted this under the other thread about the band removal and sleeve revision being done at the same time.

It sounds like a good plan!

Cleo's mom- I just had the revision because what bothered me about the band is that when food did get stuck - I rarely threw up but would dry heave. Then I would go finish my meal. Or in a restaurant- I couldn't eat the whole meal because I was getting stuck but as soon as I got home I would finish it because I was still hungry. I'm still in the liquid phase but what I want is that if I take leftovers home- I won't eat them until the next day because I'm satisfied for the night. I'm praying that this works but right now I'm focused on my body healing & following the doctors instructions.

I just read through all my surgery stuff and it said no NSAIDS for the

rest of my life. What am I supposed to do for my chronic back pain/ conditions and arthritis that don't respond to Tylenol? The amount and duration of Tylenol that I would have to take would surely cause liver damage over

time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

What is an NSAIDS ?

I just read through all my surgery stuff and it said no NSAIDS for the

rest of my life. What am I supposed to do for my chronic back pain/ conditions and arthritis that don't respond to Tylenol? The amount and duration of Tylenol that I would have to take would surely cause liver damage over

time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Losing weight has reduced my need for pain relief. I only occasionally take arthritis Tylenol now. I went off NSAIDS a week before surgery. My knee pain is much less and my back pain is gone.

Edited by JustWatchMe

My Dr is okay with nsaids within reason with the sleeve but no nsaids if I got the bypass. I was told the trammadol I take is okay as well.