Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removal

Is anyone getting their lapband removed??? My guy had his band 5 years lost maybe 50 pounds and he was a big guy 415. But he's now had some scary side effects which we are now action upon and asking for removal. He has lots of getting stuck episodes where he has to puke up what he's eaten, he has to have a pike cup with him when he eats and on the bedsi de table, he has regurgitation issues at night with either saliva or air, he chokes on it and has even had an episode that caused enough to get in his lungs and cause pneumonia, he has passed out and had seizures twice due to stuck meds and food. Fir $t time I found him in the bathroom unresponsive, jerkinf, puking, lost control of bowels. He had told me he was feeling woozy after his swallowing his meds. Luckily, I had decided to wake up bc it was early and he was supposed to be leaving for work. I ended up catching him as he fell. The second time he had a bite of grilled cheese. Had I not been there to pull him forward he would've died choking on his own vomit. Both times the doctor thought it was unrelated. I disagree. He has never had an issue before and now he's super careful and it hasn't happened since. I did some research and when food gets stuck you can have esophageal spasms which can cause your heart rate to slow and cause seizures it's happened to others as well as the pneumonia... I cannot believe lapband is allowed to be implemented anymore. I would highly caution you against it. Much love. I understand the struggle <3

Wow. If these things were happening to me, I'd be at the hospital TODAY demanding removal. I think your bf is doing the right thing. There are other WLS he can do that might be a better match for him. Sorry that the band didn't work out and I hope he finds a better fit with another tool.

Hello, I had my SLIMBAND removed in December 2014. In November of 2014 I was informed by an independent surgeon there has not been even a gastric pouch since November of 2013. How many of SLIMBAND patients are there that think they have a gastric pouch for weight loss and don't, and are still paying??

I had my Lapband removed in 2010. Many of the same reasons mentioned above. I'm sorry to hear your boyfriend is experiencing these issues. It's very scary to deal with. Get started now and keep record of everything. Best to you both. @@j-rod

Going to surgery in a couple hours to have mine removed! I've dropped 130 lbs in past year and a half but had a slip. Should've went with the sleeve! I'm nervous about gaining weight back

I got it taken out. Instant relief. Wish I had gotten the sleeve from the get-go. I'd say it was a Waste of 15 grand if I didn't lose any weight- but I dropped 130 lbs, so it wasn't a total waste. If I could have done it over again- even knowing all the pain, I still would have done it- Cuz it changed my life. Now it's up to me to work out consistently and not overeat so that I can keep this weight off

So I am concerned too and was wondering how all of you are doing after band removal. Mine was done in 2006 and dr that i went to to see about getting it removed and sleeve said it was oldest unit. I am not filled and gained my weight back. Struggling with getting a fill again and trying to lose all of it again and then getting it out? I started at 220, down to 140 for 2 years and then back up over 200 now...i took liquid out as throwing up but still do

I got it taken out. Instant relief. Wish I had gotten the sleeve from the get-go. I'd say it was a Waste of 15 grand if I didn't lose any weight- but I dropped 130 lbs, so it wasn't a total waste. If I could have done it over again- even knowing all the pain, I still would have done it- Cuz it changed my life. Now it's up to me to work out consistently and not overeat so that I can keep this weight off

Thanks for the update!

Is anyone getting their lapband removed??? My guy had his band 5 years lost maybe 50 pounds and he was a big guy 415. But he's now had some scary side effects which we are now action upon and asking for removal. He has lots of getting stuck episodes where he has to puke up what he's eaten, he has to have a pike cup with him when he eats and on the bedsi de table, he has regurgitation issues at night with either saliva or air, he chokes on it and has even had an episode that caused enough to get in his lungs and cause pneumonia, he has passed out and had seizures twice due to stuck meds and food. Fir $t time I found him in the bathroom unresponsive, jerkinf, puking, lost control of bowels. He had told me he was feeling woozy after his swallowing his meds. Luckily, I had decided to wake up bc it was early and he was supposed to be leaving for work. I ended up catching him as he fell. The second time he had a bite of grilled cheese. Had I not been there to pull him forward he would've died choking on his own vomit. Both times the doctor thought it was unrelated. I disagree. He has never had an issue before and now he's super careful and it hasn't happened since. I did some research and when food gets stuck you can have esophageal spasms which can cause your heart rate to slow and cause seizures it's happened to others as well as the pneumonia... I cannot believe lapband is allowed to be implemented anymore. I would highly caution you against it. Much love. I understand the struggle <3

Not sure whats scarier: The symptoms you described, or the Dr. thinking it's unrelated to the lapband :o