Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello guys, some questions :)

Hi!
I´m new here and on my way to getting a gastric sleeve, maybe in about 4 months, hopefully.
I´m 5 feet 6 inches tall and weigh 316 lbs.

I have hypothyroidism (?) and diabetes type 2.

What is a realistic goalweight for me?
I´m looking forward to this adventure and I´m dreaming away looking at clothes that maybe will fit me some day.. :D
What do you is realistic there aswell, what clothessize do you think I can wear after my weightreduction? ;)

Btw, I´m 28 years old, soon 29..

I'm 5'9 and my personal goal weight is 150lbs. Hope that helps as a guide.

From WLS stats the average weight loss is about 60 % of your excess body weight. What my surgeon did was subtract my starting weight from what the weight charts had as my ideal weight. Then take 60% of that. So if you have 100 pounds excess weight, the average weight loss would be 60 pounds. Please note that this is average. Some people lose way more and some don't. Good luck.

you can loose depending on how much effort you put in!!! the VSG is just one of the tools that you will have to help you. the others are the choices you make, i.e. exercise, food, etc. the sky is the limit. believe in yourself. start making those changes now. wrap your mind around this surgery ever moment of the day. you can do it. we are here for you too. welcome to the site!!!

Thank you for the support!! :)
I´m going to fight for this new life I am heading to, and not waste it! I can hardly wait to get a date for the operation.

I like to go the gym and I swim too regularly so I´m going to get plenty of exercise :)
"Dreamnumbers" for me would be something like 154 lbs, so I´m hopeful that I can reach that!! B)
This forum is great and I love too see all the Before and after Pictures, keep it going guys :D

All the stats don't really mean much. In the end it's gonna be up to you. My surgery helped me to get the bulk of my weight off very quickly, then seemed to slow to a halt. However, It got me.....no, that's incorrect..... I got me that far.....And there is no reason I can't get all the way to where I really want to be. You can too.

The process will help you develop the habits to eat and exercise and lose or maintain your weight much better than anything before ever worked.. Just use those methods and new habits to accomplish whatever weight you choose.

Good luck ;)

You may get a goal weight suggested to you by your surgeon or nutritionist. When my nutritionist came up with my goal weight of 165 (my personal goal is 155), she asked me a TON of questions in addition to looking at my current weight and body fat percentage. She asked what was the least I'd weighed as an adult, what was the most I'd ever weighed, how much weight I'd managed to lose through diet and exercise in the past, what kind of exercise routine i'd managed to keep up in the past, and I don't even remember what all else she asked. Based on all that info, she did a bunch of calculations and came up with 165.

I'm 5'6" like you, but my highest weight ever was only 270 and my surgery day weight was only 236. So your realistic goal weight might be a little higher than mine. Definitely just listen to everything your surgeon and nutritionist tell you and be as honest with them as you possibly can.

I would say do a BMI calculator put in weights until your in the normal weight category and shoot for that. Anything more is just icing!

Yeah I can imagine that they will give me a higher goal weight than u got based on the facts, basically I will be happy just to get healthy but I will not stop aiming for my own goals either, we´ll just see what happens :)
I see you are well on your way with your weightloss, nice going :)

You may get a goal weight suggested to you by your surgeon or nutritionist. When my nutritionist came up with my goal weight of 165 (my personal goal is 155), she asked me a TON of questions in addition to looking at my current weight and body fat percentage. She asked what was the least I'd weighed as an adult, what was the most I'd ever weighed, how much weight I'd managed to lose through diet and exercise in the past, what kind of exercise routine i'd managed to keep up in the past, and I don't even remember what all else she asked. Based on all that info, she did a bunch of calculations and came up with 165.

I'm 5'6" like you, but my highest weight ever was only 270 and my surgery day weight was only 236. So your realistic goal weight might be a little higher than mine. Definitely just listen to everything your surgeon and nutritionist tell you and be as honest with them as you possibly can.

Yes that´s what I have done and got 154 lbs, so that is a big dream of mine to be able to see normal weight on BMI, that´s not all in life but still, would be so awesome!
Either way it´s going to be big improvement from my current weight!
I´m going to try to lose some more weight before it´s time for surgery, just as I get recovered from my flu!

I would say do a BMI calculator put in weights until your in the normal weight category and shoot for that. Anything more is just icing!

I see you are well on your way with your weightloss, nice going :)

Thanks! It's been kind of slow going compared to some on the site, but I'm really happy with it. I am 19 weeks post-op and only down 38 pounds whereas some people lose like 40 pounds the first month! Everyone's journey is different and as long as that scale keeps moving down, I am happy. This isn't a race. There's no need to get to my goal ASAP. I think that whole drive to lose weight really fast comes from our old "diet" mentality, where getting to the goal more quickly meant we were "done" with the diet sooner. But I'm never going to be "done" with my sleeve, so if it takes me 6 months or 2 years to get to my goal, what does it really matter?

you have the right attitude, thumbs up! :)

Thanks! It's been kind of slow going compared to some on the site, but I'm really happy with it. I am 19 weeks post-op and only down 38 pounds whereas some people lose like 40 pounds the first month! Everyone's journey is different and as long as that scale keeps moving down, I am happy. This isn't a race. There's no need to get to my goal ASAP. I think that whole drive to lose weight really fast comes from our old "diet" mentality, where getting to the goal more quickly meant we were "done" with the diet sooner. But I'm never going to be "done" with my sleeve, so if it takes me 6 months or 2 years to get to my goal, what does it really matter?

I met with my psych for the first time today. He asked me some of the exact same questions. What'd I weigh in high school, what was my lowest weight, what is my highest weight, etc. He came up with me losing "realistically" 80 pounds. In my mind, I am telling myself...I am NOT having 85% of my stomach removed to only lose 80 pounds. I will lose the 120 pounds I need to lose. You see, I am optimistic, and a rule follower. I will have this new internal "tool" that will keep me compliant, and I have a terrific support system. I can do this!! You can too! We are worth it!!

You go girl :) :)
When do u think u will have your surgery?

I met with my psych for the first time today. He asked me some of the exact same questions. What'd I weigh in high school, what was my lowest weight, what is my highest weight, etc. He came up with me losing "realistically" 80 pounds. In my mind, I am telling myself...I am NOT having 85% of my stomach removed to only lose 80 pounds. I will lose the 120 pounds I need to lose. You see, I am optimistic, and a rule follower. I will have this new internal "tool" that will keep me compliant, and I have a terrific support system. I can do this!! You can too! We are worth it!!