Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marathon training

Anyone else training for a marathon?

What training plan are you using?

How are you eating to run long?

How far along are you?

What marathon are you going to run?

I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice and on week 5 Day 3. I'm not eating on my long runs yet (only up to 9 miles). I'm hoping to do the OKC Memorial Marathon.

Had a PR on 5K this morning, so I'm getting faster!

Starting Hal Higdeon Novice 2 next Monday for the Mountains to Beach marathon in May in Ojai/Ventura CA.

Fueling will be interesting! I've done half marathons and 10K's and relays where I've done 15+ miles but 26 is a whole nother ballpark regarding glycogen storage and all. Thinking of meeting with my nutritionist and talking plans.

I am at goal so need to adjust anyhow...actually well below goal and still dropping. Need to fix that.

For the halfs and anytime I go more than an hour I do carbs---bananas, oats, flax, coconut flour, fruit, dates, quinoa, etc--an hour before then use a Gu or Beans or Gels every half hour.

I'm still dropping too, but would like to be 10 lb lighter for running. Not liking that I'm losing my ass though. :)

I like bonk bars. Not a fan of the gels and goo and Beans. I have reactive hypoglycemia and those can really do a number on me.

Yeah they're pretty much straight sugar! I am working on alternatives... I make date balls---cup of dried fruit cup of nuts cup of dates tsp vanilla in food processor then roll into balls. Gonna try those next long run. Been looking at the bonk bars do you like em? I HATE gu's but they do the job for me-- the Beans are my favorite, the ones by jelly belly

I am down to my "running weight" and 17% body fat, seriously don't want to drop more. At 45 and 5'6" with some of that weight extra skin to remove...135 is plenty low

I'm training for a 10k in a month. Been running for only 4mths but just started using the routine in the book Chi Running. Amazing book. Must read. Changed my running completely. Much faster, lighter, and economic. I'm down 127 lbs since MGB surgery 8 months ago.

I've been researching (with no luck I might add) the nutritional needs of the Bariatric athlete. What do we eat, how much, and when? What calories do we consume and how much more than the standard 900/day most of us are on as post surgery patients.

I upped my Premier Protien shakes (Costco) from one in their bing to three during the day. My calorie count rose from 900 to about 1500/day and I'm still losing weight but feel great and have tons of energy.

When do you eat? An hour before a run? On an empty stomach? What do you eat after? Protein? Carbs?

I have a Premier shake first thing in the AM at around 6am when I get up. I wait an hour or 1.5 hrs and have two eggs and two slices of dry multigrain toast or two slices of multigrain toast with 2 tsp Peanut Butter and a banana. I wait another hour then run for 73 minutes (10k).

When I return I have fruit, Water, and maybe some Protein.

Comments appreciated!

Yeah they're pretty much straight sugar! I am working on alternatives... I make date balls---cup of dried fruit cup of nuts cup of dates tsp vanilla in food processor then roll into balls. Gonna try those next long run. Been looking at the bonk bars do you like em? I HATE gu's but they do the job for me-- the Beans are my favorite, the ones by jelly belly

I am down to my "running weight" and 17% body fat, seriously don't want to drop more. At 45 and 5'6" with some of that weight extra skin to remove...135 is plenty low

The bonk bar I like is the Peanut Butter / banana. It settles my stomach and doesn't cause issues. I only need it for runs over 7 miles. I've already had plastics and with implants (Breast and butt flap) I'm 49 and at 172 (5'10"), so I probably have another 7-10lbs I could lose, but my face is starting to look older.

I drink a Protein shake and sometimes eat a banana before running. I don't eat much after I get back. I concentrate on fluids.

I'm training for a 10k in a month. Been running for only 4mths but just started using the routine in the book Chi Running. Amazing book. Must read. Changed my running completely. Much faster, lighter, and economic. I'm down 127 lbs since MGB surgery 8 months ago.

I've been researching (with no luck I might add) the nutritional needs of the Bariatric athlete. What do we eat, how much, and when? What calories do we consume and how much more than the standard 900/day most of us are on as post surgery patients.

I upped my Premier Protien shakes (Costco) from one in their bing to three during the day. My calorie count rose from 900 to about 1500/day and I'm still losing weight but feel great and have tons of energy.

When do you eat? An hour before a run? On an empty stomach? What do you eat after? Protein? Carbs?

I have a Premier shake first thing in the AM at around 6am when I get up. I wait an hour or 1.5 hrs and have two eggs and two slices of dry multigrain toast or two slices of multigrain toast with 2 tsp Peanut Butter and a banana. I wait another hour then run for 73 minutes (10k).

When I return I have fruit, Water, and maybe some Protein.< /p>

Comments appreciated!

Yay! Congrats on your success!!!

I am learning as I go on this and have no way near figured it out! I read a lot of places you should eat back 30-50% of the calories you burn to keep your metabolism and energy up. I never did, I just rushed on the weight loss express, but I find more energy and faster run times now that I fuel better! Or maybe it's the 136 lb loss, who knows! If you are still losing and have energy, I think you have found your balance, truly.

My pattern is to eat more carbohydrates with a little bit of protein before my runs (an hour typically) and more protein after, it's supposed to help with recovery. So I do a banana/peanut butter or an oatmeal/quinoa hot Cereal blend or one of the ricotta/flaxseed pancakes from EggFace's blog with some Peanut Butter before I run...something along those lines. Then I do a Protein Shake as soon after as I can stomach it (I use BSN Syntha-6 or Syntrax Matrix usually).

The bonk bar I like is the Peanut Butter / banana. It settles my stomach and doesn't cause issues. I only need it for runs over 7 miles. I've already had plastics and with implants (Breast and butt flap) I'm 49 and at 172 (5'10"), so I probably have another 7-10lbs I could lose, but my face is starting to look older.

I drink a Protein shake and sometimes eat a banana before running. I don't eat much after I get back. I concentrate on fluids.

Oh I would def like that...I eat a banana dipped in Peanut Butter before running quite frequently, LOL! Yeah I don't typically fuel during running unless I go over about 7-8 miles as well.

Jealous!!! I want to have plastics...starting to research, but scared of the cost! Can I ask where you had yours done?

I know what you mean about the face looking older! I looked younger for so much of the weight loss journey, but now it's definitely starting to show as older in my face. One of the reasons I am trying hard now to stop losing!

I had plastics with Dr Sauceda in Monterrey MX. Love him and his nurse Paty. I had a breast lift/aug, lower body lift w/ butt flap implant, arm lift and neck lift. There's a really good support group and lots of info on ObesityHelp and Facebook.< /p>

My weight was stable for a year even with running and I didn't think I was going any lower. Lost 15 in the last month but it seems to have stopped.

Ah yes Dr S is on my research list for sure...DH isn't keen on the whole going to Mexico thing, may need to convince him. How was your recovery? Did you have all that at once?

So weird sometimes how the loss comes in stops and starts! Congrats on the 15lbs!

you guys and gals are awesome, truly. literaly my whole office runs, 5k's 10k's marathons, two out of 28 did the Ironman tri a few months back. I am looking forward to someday running without dying lol. please keep us all informed, its inspiring and helpful. To think if i get my wish in a while i could work up to running my home marathon here in Boston. Whew thats an emotional rush thinking about it. ( im only 3.5 weeks post op right now lol.) One good thing is my company has a benefit where they pay any entry fees and costs associated with a 5k 10k or marathon or road race or obstacle thing. etc. ( in the US) and grants time off for it as well. You guys rock!

you guys and gals are awesome, truly. literaly my whole office runs, 5k's 10k's marathons, two out of 28 did the Ironman tri a few months back. I am looking forward to someday running without dying lol. please keep us all informed, its inspiring and helpful. To think if i get my wish in a while i could work up to running my home marathon here in Boston. Whew thats an emotional rush thinking about it. ( im only 3.5 weeks post op right now lol.) One good thing is my company has a benefit where they pay any entry fees and costs associated with a 5k 10k or marathon or road race or obstacle thing. etc. ( in the US) and grants time off for it as well. You guys rock!

You'll get there if you set your mind to it!! I am constantly amazed at what my body is capable of... I didn't even run in high school PE, I was one of those girls walking and chatting at the back of the pack!

What an awesome company benefit! I wish more companies would do that!

Ah yes Dr S is on my research list for sure...DH isn't keen on the whole going to Mexico thing, may need to convince him. How was your recovery? Did you have all that at once?

So weird sometimes how the loss comes in stops and starts! Congrats on the 15lbs!

My DH was against it as well, but once my mind is set it's hard to change it. I had the body work on one day and neck (which is a lower face lift as well) 3 days later. Recovery was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. One of the reasons I went to Dr S, besides the support system, was he uses twilight sedation and epidural. I have a hard time with general and the twilight was like have a really good sleep. I felt so good when I woke up. I was so thankful to get everything done and over with, instead of having to recover from multiple surgeries. At 49 I have the body of a 30 year old and it feels fantastic.

See getting it all done at once and the twilight sedation are two of the things that appeal to me too!

DH wants me to talk to someone who's been there/done that in person. Would you mind if I PM'd you?

How long before you could run again? I'm slightly afraid if I stop I won't start again!!

So sorry for intruding on your thread, but I have to say you guys inspire me! Surgery for me was 12/2013, 113 lbs down and try as I might I can't seem to lose anymore (CW 167). I tried running last summer, after five C25K runs, I hurt my hip at Zumba (the Zumba I go to is no ordinary class it is very cardio intense). My PT recommended that I NOT start running at age 44, that it's hard on the joints blah blah blah, which is such a bummer. I can't stop thinking about it - even with that advice I haven't completely let go of the idea. I've always thought I had a runner in me even at a heavy weight. To see folks who were formerly heavy like me roughly the same age (I'm 44) makes me think that maybe I CAN run without injury. I might just have the courage to try again.