Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is my Bandiversary!

On the day of my surgery, January 14th, 2013, I was morbidly obese with a BMI over 50. I was suffering from horrific knee pain and was seriously looking at spending my life in a wheelchair. I couldn’t walk more than a block without having to sit and rest. I couldn’t do the simplest of things like put on socks, or pick up my legs to shave them in the shower. I knew I was probably done traveling. I had just been on a cruise where I couldn’t get off the ship because of the pain I was in. I was wearing 4X tops and 26/28 slacks. I knew I was going to have to buy clothes online soon because I was growing out of these sizes and even places like Avenue didn’t carry sizes much bigger. The larger I got, the more invisible I felt. I worried about being able to move in spaces that were no longer big enough for me. I made sure to get to the conference room at work before anyone else so I didn’t have to bring unwarranted attention to myself by forcing my colleagues to squeeze in just so I could pass them if I couldn’t get a seat near the door. I worried about restaurants with tight seating…airplanes with narrow seats and the looks from whoever was stuck sitting next to me. Oh God…just thinking about this even now makes me so very sad and hurt because the list of painful and embarrasing situations is a long one.

That, however, was before my surgery. Today is my two year bandiversary and during those two years, I have lost around 150 lbs. That’s an amazing amount of excess weight to carry around on a very small frame. No wonder I was so uncomfortable. Today, I feel light as a feather. I can move normally again. As many of you know, I needed my hips replaced even before dealing with my knees. Turns out that my knees are fairly stable now as there is no excess weight to put unnecessary pressure on the joints. I can do all those things healthy people take for granted. I can walk anywhere and everywhere, I can cross my legs like a woman should be able to do, I can go up and down stairs…..hell, I can open my legs again and feel that marvelous weight of a man on top of me (sorry if that’s TMI but we're all adults here and sex is an important part of life that I thought was also in my past) Most of all…I fit in the world again and because I fit, the world has opened back up to me.

After 20+ years, I'm wearing petites again. I'm in small sized tops and size 6 slacks. My legs aren't tree trunks anymore and I'm wearing dresses. And just an FYI for you ladies…If you want to attract a man, wear a dress. Works like a charm.. ;) I love to clothes shop again. In these small sizes, the clothes are cute and pretty and I don't buy anything anymore just because it fits.

I wear makeup again. My hair is styled attractively. I match the jewelry/bag/shoes to the outfits. Like I said above, I am very much aware now that people notice me. What an amazing transformation that is. To know that people see you again is such a powerful feeling….especially when you've felt invisible for so long.

I’m traveling again. In fact, I’m planning a trip to China or now possibly a Nordic cruise to Finland and Norway sometime later this year. I hope to go on one big trip every year. There are so many places I didn't think I'd ever get to and now I need to make up for lost time and go wherever my heart desires.

My grandson is due in April. I’ll be able to play with this one. My granddaughter missed out on a lot because I couldn’t keep up with her. She and I did a lot of arts and crafts, and reading books together or watching TV. I’m sure she didn’t feel like she missed anything but I know she did and this time around, Grandma is planning on climbing the monkey bars with this little guy when he gets old enough.

One last thing I wanted to put out there. I must thank Alex for creating this site. It has been my salvation. The people here were and are, instrumental in my success. I have said things in my posts that no one outside of this place can truly understand and for that I am so very grateful. I am also blessed to call many of the folks on this site good friends of mine and I can’t wait to meet some of you face to face so I can give you a big hug.

Here’s how I feel today..and most days in fact….I’m a person with two birthdays now. One in August of 1958 when I was born, and one in January of 2013 when I was re-born.

For anyone reading this post, congrats if you have also found success in your weight loss journey and to those struggling, or who are pre-op and full of doubts and worries, know that a new life is possible for each and every one of you. I'm not special so if I could do this, so can you...no matter what your co-morbidities, starting BMI, or any other challenges you are facing.

Here's a couple of before/after pics so you can see what 150 lbs. gone looks like. The ticker is just data but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

post-142630-0-57325900-1421247163_thumb.jpg post-142630-0-17615400-1421247191_thumb.jpg

success

couldnt happen to a more beautiful woman

who always was/is/will be

regardless.

Liz, you're amazing. Your posts help me every day. I know I can do this because I'm watching you do this. Your honesty about what's going on and how you're feeling let me know I'm not doomed to failure and I'm not doomed to repeat the patterns I've been in for years. You're brave. You are facing the underlying reasons for overeating, and examining the consequences of changing your body. You offer a hand up to us newbies and the oldies too. You're one of the strongest voices of BariatricPal for me and I love reading what you write.

Congratulations to you. <3

@@gowalking You are just the best lady!!! I love your post!!

What a beautiful post! Congratulations to you, and congratulations to everyone else that is on this journey.

Stories like these are what helps everyone get motivated and stay motivated.

Congrats and JOB WELL DONE! Not just the weight loss, but all the positive posts and info you pass along.

Much continued success! :)

Happy Re-Birth...... I said the same thing. I'll always remember by band anniversary as a significant date in my life. You are rocking the banded life. I'm also happy to have met you and many others through this site. Now, come on back down to New Orleans for one of those many vacations. I'm headed up to Baltimore tomorrow for the week (spending the week with my oldest daughter)....... Can't believe I'm going up in WINTER.....something I told her I would NEVER do. Guess a mother's love can override FREEZING TEMPS !!!!!!!! Proud of you, girl!!!!! And congrats on the newly found sex life. I've been sort of honeymooning lately myself with my husband of 26 years. 200+ pounds less between the two of us have helped that out!!!!!!!

Gorgeous words, a beautifully written post, Liz! AMAZING.

Your pictures are phenomenal - the light you have in your eyes shines through, pre- AND post-band! You are a light in the world!

You are an inspiration to us all. WOW!

Wishing you a joy-full and happy Bandiversary! :-)

Wow this is truly an amazing story, and I'm new to this site and glad that I found this app. Hearing everyone's story really makes this journey easier for me. I'm pre-op and just waiting on a surgery date. I've finished all the necessary requirements to get approved and now I wait. You all are very beautiful and your stories really touch my heart.

Gowalking, you are such an inspiration! I'm just starting out on this journey and I hope to be just as successful as you. You give me hope. I'm so happy for you and the new life you've found. What a beautiful story for all of us to read.

Gowalking you are an inspiration for all of us, love you post!!! Congratulations I am hoping to have the success you have,:)))

Thank you so much for all your kind words and good wishes. I'm so glad that I can help to inspire others. I really feel like I'm paying it forward while it's also helping me to keep my eye on the prize.

Thank You Liz for your positive comments and helpful advice.. So happy for you. Today is my 2 year bandiversary I am so happy that I decided to take control of my weight and health when I did. I went to my primary doctor yesterday and got a glowing report. My only issue now is my flappy apron.. I have documented the rashes and hip pain. Hope I am able to have skin surgery in the future. I would still like to lose another 10 lbs or so but I am doing okay. Did not gain over the holidays and I can wear skinny jeans and boots..omg who woulda thunk.

p.s.Liz I love your before and after photo's.. you look marvelous and so adorable.