Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Questions I'm Pondering (I Need YOUR Input)

1) Absolutely. I had so well prepared myself that it was relatively easy to adopt to different foods, different ways of doing thing. I wasn't even scared going under that I had made a mistake. Never once have I wished I hadn't done it. It is just such a relief to be freed of weight gain worries. Course I am only 4 months out, but it has become such a lifestyle it is like it never happened - I just eat a lot less than I used to and keep getting healthier.

2) Wish I had been prepared for additional hormonal changes. Although I had be menopausal for years, it appears I have had a reversal of all that.

heres my two cents, if you asked me about two weeks after surgery id have said no, im 5 weeks out now and though it is hard the results are amazing, and not just the weight. through this process i have seen my other health issues just go away. i had poor circulation ( venous insufficiency) in my legs but that is all but gone now, my asthma is a million times better, my sleep apnea has become almost an afterthought, my back pain is much much less than before. my knee pain is so lessened that i ride 7 to 10 miles on a stationary bike now. i had owned three canes, they have been retired. as hard as it was or well is. you cannot deny results.

my biggest surprise is a tie between how little i can actually eat, and these few weeks how fast you lose and how much, i know its still the honeymoon but man those days of 2+ pound loss are so much fun. That and seeing the dramatic changes in my body already.

Your words inspire me! I know it won't be easy, but like you said - you cannot deny results. Congrats on taking this journey. I will start mine soon. :-)

If you do eat out often, you may need to find someone to split it with (which is great) or expect leftovers.

My grocery bill is a fraction of what it used to be. So many benefits outside of health. :)

Yay! Then I can save up for that trip I'm rewarding myself with for reaching my goal!!

1. In a heartbeat

2. Hmmm many surprises over the last 13 months. Maybe the most surprising is my tastes have literally changed and I crave things I was never keen on and have aversions to things I used to love. Also being grossed out by what/how much/how fast those around me eat sometimes. Oh and the fact that I had an inner athlete! Who knew?

I had very little pain (much better than my c section) and a comfortable recovery and no throwing up or anything, though there were some foods that gave my stomach issues early on and a few (rice notably) that still do.

I LOVE that you found your inner athlete. I used to run 3 miles a day. I'm looking forward to THAT again.

So glad you've had so little discomfort. Congrats on your success. YAY!!

1. I would absolutely do this again. I'm two years out and could have never lost and kept this weight off.

2. I was surprised at how difficult the recovery was for me. I had a mild post op infection and I never got a quick increase in energy. It was very gradual and took months. The most shocking thing for me was how little I need to eat to lose and maintain my weight loss. I need less than 900 to lose. I was also pleasantly surprised that the sleeve makes that possible with a reasonable amount of effort.

I'm so sorry you had that happen (the post-op infection). I'm glad you've had success since the surgery. Congrats on the new you! So exciting!

I'm a month out now, and like you I did a lot of research pre and post op. Over nutrition, exercise, people's experiences, etc.

1) I would absolutely commit to doing this again. Personally I experienced pain from the gas in abdominal cavity after surgery only for a day and a half. It was incredible intense and bad, and thankful very short lived. Only the day of surgery did my stomach reject Water, just like the first week I started to introduced carbs in. My stomach is very clear when it isn't happy, but if I eased back and gave it even a few days it would be fine personally. My incisions are even fully healed over.

2) I was not expecting the swings in energy. If I am getting everything I need, I'm like an energizer bunny. I can go jog a few miles and be sad I'm holding myself back. And really love it, which I never thought anything like that would be my thing.

Reversely if I don't get what I need. Skip a meal on accident. Had trouble with a shake (look up tons of recipes now), or have to adjust my intake. I pretty quickly feel it. It's not hunger, it's more my energy levels will plummet if I don't follow my schedule. And then I'm now where near as motivated to go do stuff.

Overall, it's your body and you will figure out what's the best for it. You might react completely different.

Interesting about the energy levels. I'm a researcher too. I'll look into that and also take your advice on looking up shake recipes! Thanks. Congrats on your victories. Woo Hoo!!

1) Absolutely. I had so well prepared myself that it was relatively easy to adopt to different foods, different ways of doing thing. I wasn't even scared going under that I had made a mistake. Never once have I wished I hadn't done it. It is just such a relief to be freed of weight gain worries. Course I am only 4 months out, but it has become such a lifestyle it is like it never happened - I just eat a lot less than I used to and keep getting healthier.

2) Wish I had been prepared for additional hormonal changes. Although I had be menopausal for years, it appears I have had a reversal of all that.

That's so awesome that you are freed of weight gain worries. I love that you call it a lifestyle change. I'm trying to adjust my life now (6 weeks out) so that I just ease into it. Sorry for the hormonal changes. I wondered if I would have some of that also. We'll see. I'm ready! Congrats on your success. Enjoy the journey.

1. YES

2. As time goes on, I have to remind myself I actually had the surgery. My worries about what would change were unfounded. ;)

Awesome that you've recovered so well and are going on - better than ever. Congrats on your weight loss success. My worries are lessening by the day.

Yes and yes!!!!! I spent 30yrs yo yo with weight. Being delusional of thimking i could still do this on my own. After 2 of my drs sent me to have this done i jumped on it. It was my time to get control an this was the tool i needed- yes first month for me was tuff..my surgeon told me if i can get thru first month I'll be fine for me it was a long month of relearning proper portion for my baby tummy but i did it an i was sick n tired of being fat depressed an using food as comfort. Id already been thru 10yrs of therapy, was finally dx with hashis on armour got my thyroid back in optimal range an i dont mean the regular guidlines i mean optimal guidelines i am 7 months post an hit 100 pds!! Yes i would do it in a heart beat..whats changed?? I have control over my life, my self esteem back stronger then ever an food does not control me! Luvn life again for the first time in over 35 yrs!! Being fat an accepting this was just the way it was meant to be for me absolutely not. I wish u the best.

Yes and yes!!!!! I spent 30yrs yo yo with weight. Being delusional of thimking i could still do this on my own. After 2 of my drs sent me to have this done i jumped on it. It was my time to get control an this was the tool i needed- yes first month for me was tuff..my surgeon told me if i can get thru first month I'll be fine for me it was a long month of relearning proper portion for my baby tummy but i did it an i was sick n tired of being fat depressed an using food as comfort. Id already been thru 10yrs of therapy, was finally dx with hashis on armour got my thyroid back in optimal range an i dont mean the regular guidlines i mean optimal guidelines i am 7 months post an hit 100 pds!! Yes i would do it in a heart beat..whats changed?? I have control over my life, my self esteem back stronger then ever an food does not control me! Luvn life again for the first time in over 35 yrs!! Being fat an accepting this was just the way it was meant to be for me absolutely not. I wish u the best.

I'm so happy to read about your successes! Woohoo!

Thank you for inspiring me. :-)

How are you doing have you decided? If u did i missed that post...

Would I do it again? Yes!

What surprises me the most is now that I am almost 2 years post-op how easy it is to regain weight and how difficult it is to lose it again. Even so, I am very grateful to have had the surgery and very happy with the results!