Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Questions I'm Pondering (I Need YOUR Input)

I would absolutely do it again in a heart beat.

The think that surprised me the most is that the emotional work for me has been harder than the physical work. If you want more info on that I write about the entire journey from my first docs appointment on through today (17 months post op). Feel free to browse it. It's linked in my signature. And good luck to you!

I would most certainly have it done again knowing what I know now.I know I have been very very lucky,I never even had gas pain.I have had about 10 surgeries in my life and this was definitely the most pain-free.I could have done cartwheels out of the hospital on the 2nd day.I know this is not the same for a lot of people so as I say I have been very lucky.The only food I have had a problem with is chicken but I will try again later because I love chicken.Best wishes Pippinleicester.

I would do the sleeve again, without reservation.

Surprises: No gas. Little pain. No vomiting. No "foamies." Adjustment was easier than I thought it would be, but I have a supportive husband and few negative people around me. Follow your doctor's advice to the letter.

Biggest surprise: Post-op, being disgusted when seeing those food commercials on TV! I used to crave those grease-dripping burgers and fries, noodles and doodles, but I was surprised that I now see them entirely differently. Those images are attempts to hypnotize us into thinking eating that way is normal. It isn't. Half of the advertisements try to make us eat and half of them tell us how to lose weight! It's a friggin' racket!

Everything is easier. Walking. Getting up from a seated position.

Without question I'd do it again! What surprised me the most is how much fun I've had on this wonderful journey!

1. If you've had the Gastric Sleeve, would you do it again?

Yes absolutely! I only wish I had done this 100lbs ago. It has changed my life.

2. What was/were the thing(s) that surprised you the most after you had the surgery?

That is did indeed put my chronic uterica into remission and how little it hurt. My post-op experience has been so insanely easy and relatively pain free. I've tolerated all foods, and other than a few aches and soreness not at all uncomfortable. I am one of those who has experienced no pain, no gas, no dizziness, no depression, no nausea, no vomiting. My medical team is wonderful and supportive.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I would absolutely do it again in a heart beat.

The think that surprised me the most is that the emotional work for me has been harder than the physical work. If you want more info on that I write about the entire journey from my first docs appointment on through today (17 months post op). Feel free to browse it. It's linked in my signature. And good luck to you!

Ooh...a journal is good! I'll have to check it out. Emotions are a huge factor here - for sure.

Thanks for your encouragement and congrats on your success!

I would most certainly have it done again knowing what I know now.I know I have been very very lucky,I never even had gas pain.I have had about 10 surgeries in my life and this was definitely the most pain-free.I could have done cartwheels out of the hospital on the 2nd day.I know this is not the same for a lot of people so as I say I have been very lucky.The only food I have had a problem with is chicken but I will try again later because I love chicken.Best wishes Pippinleicester.

Chicken, huh? Interesting. Cartwheels are fun. I'm so glad you've had such a pain-free ride. I figure each surgery has its own kind of aches and pains. Thanks for your thoughts, congrats to you, and eat mor chiken! :-)

I would do the sleeve again, without reservation.

Surprises: No gas. Little pain. No vomiting. No "foamies." Adjustment was easier than I thought it would be, but I have a supportive husband and few negative people around me. Follow your doctor's advice to the letter.

Biggest surprise: Post-op, being disgusted when seeing those food commercials on TV! I used to crave those grease-dripping burgers and fries, noodles and doodles, but I was surprised that I now see them entirely differently. Those images are attempts to hypnotize us into thinking eating that way is normal. It isn't. Half of the advertisements try to make us eat and half of them tell us how to lose weight! It's a friggin' racket!

Everything is easier. Walking. Getting up from a seated position.

Oh yay! I'm glad you had such a good recovery. Yes - the diet/food industry is a racket. I was just thinking today about how much time we spend each day thinking about or hearing about the goods and evils of food.

Easier walking and standing would be AWESOME. I can't wait.

Thanks for your advice and congrats on your new life.

Without question I'd do it again! What surprised me the most is how much fun I've had on this wonderful journey!

Yay! Fun is, well - FUN!! Congrats on your new life and all my best on your continued wonderful journey.

Yes absolutely! I only wish I had done this 100lbs ago. It has changed my life.

2. What was/were the thing(s) that surprised you the most after you had the surgery?

That is did indeed put my chronic uterica into remission and how little it hurt. My post-op experience has been so insanely easy and relatively pain free. I've tolerated all foods, and other than a few aches and soreness not at all uncomfortable. I am one of those who has experienced no pain, no gas, no dizziness, no depression, no nausea, no vomiting. My medical team is wonderful and supportive.

Awesome!! So glad you had none of the above and that you're on your way to a new life. You ROCK! The more of these I read - the more motivated I feel.

3 years out, in maintenance after losing about 160#

I would absolutely do it again - I had alot of fears going into this.
for someone as obese as I was this has been earth shifting. Losing the weight of a full grown man is wow...wow... wow... what a change.

What surprised me most? That I had underlying concerns that were masked by the obesity and over eating. Some people seem to find this during weight loss phase, but I was more challenged after hitting goal. I have been at goal since Feb 2013, so doing much better know but I had to wrestle with anxiety and a few other problems. So, my advice is to have an open mind as to what issues might come up. I never imagined losing weight would "make me happy" but I also never imagined it would make me "wound up and anxious".

Anyway, now I am much much much happier and have settled on energetic and active with minimal anxiety/under control without meds.

I am a little over half-way through the process my insurance company (CIGNA) requires before Gastric Sleeve surgery. My family and friends are on board. My Doctor is on board. I'm tired of being overweight.

I am a researcher. I love to study and I have probably over-studied the Gastric Sleeve, but I have a couple more nagging questions. Can you help me out?

@@His Fairest

1. If you've had the Gastric Sleeve, would you do it again? In a heartbeat. I am so pleased with the results, but this is not accomplished without effort on my part. kicking ass at the gym, choosing healthy foods, quit drinking.

2. What was/were the thing(s) that surprised you the most after you had the surgery? the lack of hunger. I have to remind myself to eat sometimes. the restriction is real, you can feel it. I eat so little now (compared to before). I feel like a new man. hell, I am a new man.

3 years out, in maintenance after losing about 160#

I would absolutely do it again - I had alot of fears going into this.

for someone as obese as I was this has been earth shifting. Losing the weight of a full grown man is wow...wow... wow... what a change.

What surprised me most? That I had underlying concerns that were masked by the obesity and over eating. Some people seem to find this during weight loss phase, but I was more challenged after hitting goal. I have been at goal since Feb 2013, so doing much better know but I had to wrestle with anxiety and a few other problems. So, my advice is to have an open mind as to what issues might come up. I never imagined losing weight would "make me happy" but I also never imagined it would make me "wound up and anxious".

Anyway, now I am much much much happier and have settled on energetic and active with minimal anxiety/under control without meds.

Ah. The emotional stuff IS a concern for me. I've had depression and anxiety for a while. Thanks for this reminder to watch out for that.

Your weight loss is inspiring!! I'm so happy you've had so much success. So amazing!

@@His Fairest

1. If you've had the Gastric Sleeve, would you do it again? In a heartbeat. I am so pleased with the results, but this is not accomplished without effort on my part. kicking ass at the gym, choosing healthy foods, quit drinking.

2. What was/were the thing(s) that surprised you the most after you had the surgery? the lack of hunger. I have to remind myself to eat sometimes. the restriction is real, you can feel it. I eat so little now (compared to before). I feel like a new man. hell, I am a new man.

Congrats on your success. I'd LOVE to not be so hungry.

What I'm looking forward to is getting back into the gym. I've been dealing with depression and anxiety from an emotionally abusive situation I was in and I gained so much weight this year that going to the gym is now painful instead of something I love. Now that THAT situation is over - I'm ready for a new life in every way. I'm ready to be a new woman!

1. Hands down YES

2. The feeling of restriction. I've read a lot about others experiences but was surprised to feel full after an ounce!