Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Did You Choose Your Specific Type of Weight Loss Surgery?

Why Did You Choose Your Specific Type of Weight Loss Surgery?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. How did you decide which surgery to get? If you haven’t had surgery yet, how are you making your decision?

• My insurance only covers one type – read my answer below to find out which kind.
    • I was too “small” to qualify for bypass or sleeve, so the lap-band was my best option.
    • I chose the lap-band because it is adjustable; maybe I’ll become pregnant or get sick and need to eat extra food sometime in the future.
    • I got the gastric sleeve because I’m a heavier patient and this was a lower-risk choice.
    • I got the gastric bypass because of the restrictions on sugary foods.
    • I chose my surgery based on the complication rates and expected weight loss. See which one I chose in the discussion below!
    • I have revisional weight loss surgery. Read what happened and why I got it converted in the discussion below!
    • Other. See my choice and reasons in the discussion below!

No single type of weight loss surgery is right for everyone. Choices like the adjustable gastric band, gastric bypass, and gastric sleeve each have their pros and cons. How did you decide which surgery to get? If you haven’t had surgery yet, how are you making your decision?

• My insurance only covers one type – read my answer below to find out which kind.
  • I was too “small” to qualify for bypass or sleeve, so the lap-band was my best option.
  • I chose the lap-band because it is adjustable; maybe I’ll become pregnant or get sick and need to eat extra food sometime in the future.
  • I got the gastric sleeve because I’m a heavier patient and this was a lower-risk choice.
  • I got the gastric bypass because of the restrictions on sugary foods.
  • I chose my surgery based on the complication rates and expected weight loss. See which one I chose in the discussion below!
  • I have revisional weight loss surgery. Read what happened and why I got it converted in the discussion below!
  • Other. See my choice and reasons in the discussion below!

Mark your answer, and feel free to explain it in the conversation below. We want to know what you think about the different types of weight loss surgery!

"I" chose the Lapband because my surgeon, the professional, thought it would be best for me. I think he was right!

Edited to add:
Since you asked "We want to know...."

I've seen many years worth of support group meetings. All different types of procedures: band, sleeve, bypass. Many successes with each. And those who are struggling..... Just this past Thursday night, it really hit home to me AGAIN. One lady who had sleeve about 2 years ago, Iseen do well for the first year. Now, gaining quite a bit back. Another lady who had sleeve about a year ago, lost well at first. Now struggling....a lot. Really made me sad.

When I was talking with the NUT who leads the support group meeting after it was over ( we stick around and shoot the breeze, having cocktail's in the lounge and talking about other things, running/cycling, etc ), I told him how bad I felt for those two ladies and others in their situation. All that the medical professionals can tell them is to "diet" now......

I'm so glad mines adjustable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the beating begin. :) Happy Monday!

Edited by catfish87

I chose the Sleeve for the following reasons:

* My BMI was below 40 when I began this process

* I wanted my weight loss to be at a slower rate.

*Did not want a malabsorbtive procedure

* I did not like the idea of my intestines rearranged

*oh, and my surgeons no longer perform lap bands...which left the Sleeve :)

Edited by ProjectMe

I choose the sleeve because:

• I wanted a slower weight loss
  • I didn't want to reroute with bypass
  • Lap band didn't seem like a good fit my BMI
  • I was told it might alleviate some of my other chronic conditions
  • I'm vegetarian with multiple food & medicine allergies. I thought a malabsorptive procedure would be too limiting

I chose the band because it was less invasive. Sleeve also was not an available option at the time at my Center. If Sleeve were available then choosing the Band may not have been so easy although I clearly have no regrets.

I based my decision on revision rate. I decided that if I had to undergo surgery, I only wanted to do it once. Not repeat it with a revision on a revision on another revision.

I chose the sleeve because:

* I was put off by what I had read online and heard from my surgeon re lap band complications and unpleasantness.

* I didn't want gastric bypass's lifelong effects of nutrient malabsorption, complex Vitamin supplements, and dumping syndrome. I was also put off by the re-routing aspect of bypass.

* I had "only" 85 pounds to lose.

* I liked the idea of the sleeve's assist with lifelong restriction. (I now understand that I must always eat Protein first, avoid sliders, not drink with meals, and not graze to enable that restriction).

* I was terrifically excited by the sleeve's reduction of ghrelin. (I now understand that the no-ghrelin effect may not continue as strongly long-term as it was immediately post-op; we shall see.)

I chose the sleeve because:

*I didn't want my guts rearranged (bypass) or a foreign object inside me forever (band)

*I didn't want dumping... I wanted to be able to have a normal life where you have birthday cake once in awhile.

*I liked the idea of the Grehlin reduction because I was always ravenous before

*I didn't want to worry about Vitamin deficiencies/malabsorption that some people get with other surgeries

*My surgeon thought it was the appropriate choice for me

And I feel like it was a great decision!! :)

I originally was going for the lap-band surgery because it seemed to be the simplest, and I had not been aware of the gastric sleeve. After doing more research, I went for the sleeve because I wanted something permanent, yet not as invasive as the bypass. I love my decision, and I love the results!

I chose the band, because it seemed to be the best option for me personally, I did look at the other procedures and I decided that if something does happen to the band I can go with the sleeve later but let's try not cutting my stomach 1st. I am fully supportive though of anyone's weight loss choice.

I chose gastric bypass because of the research available on how well it works to reduce the symptoms of Type II Diabetes. Since diabetes was my main concern, both my primary and my surgeon recommended bypass as well.

I also chose gastric bypass because of the great results (weight loss and maintenance) I have seen from my sister's surgery.

I chose the sleeve because I did not feel comfortable with having my insides rerouted (bypass) or with having a foreign object (band) remain inside of me. I was leaning towards the sleeve on my own, but solidified that decision when my surgeon said that she recommended that procedure for me as well!

I was scared of altering my stomach because I watched my mom have stomach issues due to arthritis meds, and she needed emergency bleeding ulcer surgery. That whole thing frightened me since I don't know how badly damaged my stomach might already be from years of arthritis meds myself. The sleeve and RNY were so drastic in my eyes. The band seemed like a gentler way to go, and I figured if the worst happened to me, I could always have it removed. Now that I've done the band, I realize how much work living with a band requires. For me this is good work. I'm forced to eat well or else I get stuck. The green zone is a tricky thing, but the longer I live with my band, the more respect I have for it. I never want to get a slip or erosion.

I chose gastric bypass because in my mind it is what I wanted because I felt it would help me not only be able to not eat as much, but wouldn't let me absorb some of what I do eat as well. When I went to the doctor and to suggest the gastric bypass, he said that gastric bypass is all he does as he found it is the only thing he finds that works long term. It probably was his own belief, but I was all for it. I went further and asked how much intestines will be by passed. I didn't get as much as I'd prefer, but hey.

Edited by Darby Schlomer

I chose gastric bypass because I had recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes & had severe acid reflux. I did not ever consider the band. The sleeve can lead to acid reflux. Im happy to say my starting A1C was 7.2 and 3 months later its 5.26. :)