Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 40 havent had surgery yet.... Concerned

I just read a study that said that there is no difference in outcomes if you get pregnant before 1 year versus after, so you may not need to wait as long IF you are able to eat enough calories, get enough Protein, and labs are good.

That said, the other option is to get pregnant first, have your baby, then have surgery later, if you and your OB feel time is of the essence. You might want to consult with your OB to get their opinion as to what order you should do this. I'm 40, and my OB didn't want me to wait a full year after surgery, he wanted me to start trying about 6 months out. We are waiting due to other reasons (husband's job changing this week) but it's something to consider.

I'm 42 and had sleve surgery 8 months ago and now my husband and I are talking serious about getting pregnant I'm more ready than ever I'm starting acupuncture this week ...

I just turned 40 June 15 and all I think about is " baby, baby,baby!" Lol

I have a 5 and 3 yo. But I really want one more. The only thing stopping me is I had PPD worth both of mine. It was terrible. When the best part of life is having a baby, I was depressed and hated myself for it, I still feel tremendous guilt. But, it had a major impact on my life I can't bare to put my family through that or myself for that matter

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I’ll be 42 after surgery when I start trying. It will be #1. Meeting with a reproductive endo presurgery to discuss concerns about age

I’m 37 and we want to start trying as soon as I hit my goal weight. I am starting with a lower BMI so my hope is I will be close to goal weight within 6 months. As soon as I am there, we will TTC. I read multiple studies that the issue is not the stomach (after your stomach heals), but the issue is it stops the weight loss while you are most likely to lose quickly. I’ve also read its much easier to lose after delivering (if you follow your diet), so we will not wait. I figure I will be 38 when we conceive. [emoji3]

So I met with a reproductive endo because I’m 39 and never had a baby. Wanted to freeze eggs before surgery. My BMI is too high for that but she said they can do it post surgery when I loose enough. I did have all the fertility blood work and scans done and know where I stand with fertility going in to surgery. I’d say meet with one before to find out where you are.

An excellent idea, you want to be as fit, as healhty, as committed to make the baby idea,as you did,for weight loss snd,the surgeries,it took to achieve.
And as much,the Nay-Sayers will put you down for pregnancy about 40 as they did when they heard you wanted surgery as apposed to trying even more fad diets. Don't listen to them, this your life and your decisions.
When I was a miniFrust8 and was still in school, yes back we had dinosaurs instead of school buses my classmates had parents of varing ages, the ones whose,parents were 35-40 at their births were happier than to ones with a 18-20 year gap. The ones parented by people your age knew Mom and Dad loved and wanted them extra much. AMy parents were 30 and 32 when I was born.they were mature to be parents, not,just willing,to shunt me to one side while they went to have friends still, run around acting like teenagers.
You will fine, a wonderful,parent,to future baby boys or baby girls. The only thing more important then me approve it. and support this idea, is that You have enough love and belief in yourself. Good luck and happy parenthood when it comes.

I enjoy reading this thread! We were going to TTC, so we started making healthy changes. Our first was that we quit smoking! Yayyyy!

After I quit smoking, I realized weight loss surgery was now also an option... and that if I did it, I would likely have a healthier pregnancy. Also- while we just officially ready to start trying, we’d had a “if it happens, it happens” attitude about pregnancy for a few years and it never happened. So- I figured losing weight may help with fertility...

So I am in a similar boat. I will likely be 37 when we TTC. I just had an IUD put in today (if that isn’t commitment to this process, idk what is cause it sucked!)... and I will hopefully have surgery in July!

Best of luck to all of you on this journey!

I had my first baby at 38 and weighed 293 pounds. I had surgery 6 weeks later. I was at goal weight in a year and surgeon gave us the go-ahead to try to conceive. I wanted to wait a bit longer to make sure my weight was stable and such. I also had a goal of running a half marathon. Went off birth control at the end of 2017. I worked with my fertility doctor because I previously didn't ovulate due to PCOS. My OB was fairly confident I could get pregnant on my own but didn't want to wait. Got pregnant in march of 2017 and delivered in December 0f 2017 at age 40. Perfectly healthy pregnancy. My OB said that he would approve me if I wanted another. There are risks with age. However, both my ob and fertility docs said that even though I was 40, I had a better chance at a healthy pregnancy than a 20 something who was not healthy.

To all over 35 parent-wannabes. Go for it! My own story: I had one child at 23, one at 30 and my last at 34 1/2. My youngest is still with me, a joy to know, I will never regret him. I once overheard him tell a friend " You know in our family there already was a girl, a boy, when I came along , I was the bonus dividend, they baby they did not have to please someone, I was wanted and loved, not just an obligation. And I was the most desired of all"
If you want a baby the try to mak3 a baby, if that doesn't succeed, adoption is a wonderful option, families are made that way also. The wise👵 woman has spoken!🌈

I’m 43 and I’ve been dealing with secondary fertility for about 8 years (my son was easy to conceive). We had pretty much given up on getting pregnant (we couldn’t afford IVF) but once I hit a year out of my VSG, we’re talking about giving it a shot again. I do think my weight had something to do with it. It’ll mean getting pregnant at 44 and probably giving birth at 45, but hey, who wants to go quietly into middle age? ❤️. If it works, it works. If it doesn’t, we’re pretty happy with how life’s going now. We still have one awesome 11 year old. ❤️

You wanna you'll have it, you are strong and determined.

I had my first at age 38. I then had surgery 6 weeks later. Lost 180 pounds and then waited another year. I had clearance at 1 year out from my surgeon. I waited another nine months to start trying because I wanted to run a few half marathons. I started trying in January of 2017 and was pregnant by March. Had my baby (at age 40) in December of 2017. Had a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Doctor wanted me to gain 35 pounds, I gained 30. I am still holding on to about 15 of those, but my surgeon says I am still below goal weight so he is happy. I really want another baby. I am totally thinking about trying again for #3. I will be 41 in August.

I say go for it! Babies are awesome and I am not the oldest mom around.

8 minutes ago, AnA92212 said:

I say go for it! Babies are awesome and I am not the oldest mom around.

I always tell myself I can be done and then I play with a baby or toddler 😂. I just played with my 1 1/2 year old niece and she was so much fun - I would totally do it over again. ❤️

Good luck to you!! I feel like getting pregnant in our forties isn’t as big of a deal anymore.