Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've gained weight

@@sweetie716 The more carbs you eat - the more you will crave them. I am pre-surgery but am finding that counseling/therapy is helping me prepare for this life long challenge ahead. I would recommend it to anyone. You've come so far and done so well - stay strong and get back on track!!! Good luck!

http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-pouch-reset-losing-weight-after-weight-regain/

Don't I know it. :( The thing that is annoying is that I really didn't miss carbs much when I wasn't eating them. It was easy to just block out all the things I didn't eat- no refined carbs whatsoever. The problem came in when I deviated from my zero tolerance rule. Now I'm working on getting as much time as possible under my belt going without carbs. The longer I go the better off I'll be. I just regret going off in the first place.

Wow, @@sweetie716, you're reminding us all about the slippery carb slope! Thanks for that, although I'm sorry you're struggling. I'm almost 2 years from surgery and my weight jumped 5-8 pounds over the last 6 weeks or so -- with no carbs. Grazing on nuts all day, and washing them down with tea was my problem. I'm in day 4 of the 5-day pouch test, and I think the restriction is coming back, but I haven't lost any weight. Of course, the pouch test is not for weight loss, it's for resetting restriction, breaking bad habits, and relearning the rules of the bariatric road. If you haven't already, you might give it a shot. Here's a link to the website which is shorter in duration but more restrictive than the other version already linked above. Good luck!!!

Don't I know it. :( The thing that is annoying is that I really didn't miss carbs much when I wasn't eating them. It was easy to just block out all the things I didn't eat- no refined carbs whatsoever. The problem came in when I deviated from my zero tolerance rule. Now I'm working on getting as much time as possible under my belt going without carbs. The longer I go the better off I'll be. I just regret going off in the first place.

I just tried the Quest chips. They have 20-21 G Protein per serving (a bag). They saved me! I love salsa and chips, or refried Beans and chips. These fit the bill!

Good luck!!! (GNC and Vitamin Shoppe carry them)

Edited by LisaMergs

I can do great all day long, but after a long, stressful day at work, it's like all the sense and determination and goals I have for myself just evaporate and I all of a sudden "deserve it" or can "get back to it in the next meal or tomorrow." Basically, how I struggled before surgery. It's absolute nonsense, and sometimes I know it is, but I make a bad choice anyway. I really thought that I was done with all of that struggle, but for the moment that struggle is still very real. I had a blissful year and (almost) a half with very few thoughts of food or struggles to make the right decision. I knew what I was doing and I just did it. I thought that my mind was all fixed up. This particular moment in time isn't so easy. Once things smooth out for me a bit in regards to the day-to-day, minute-to-minute decisions about food, I will be extremely careful to continue to make better decisions. I haven't had any trouble losing, but once a significant portion of the regain comes off, I have made bad decisions again and the cycle persists. I need to just stay the course until goal (again), then stay put. In general, the 5 months or so where I did maintain within the same 5 pound range were not all that easy either. It is tough right now, but I'm hoping that with enough time between me and carbs, I'll get back into the "this is just what I do" mode and it won't be the kind of struggle that it feels like right now.

Sweetie716 I really want to thank you for opening up this difficult topic. I was sleeved in Nov 2014 and was doing well - not as fast as some but making very steady progress then I went on holiday last year and it all started to unravel.

My partner's behaviour was really horrible when we went away and that triggered me into drinking cocktails and eating sugary foods just to comfort myself.

I always have been an emotional eater and as our relationship declined so did my good eating habits and I started to gain weight. Thankfully, since we broke up in April this year I have gone back to basics and have started to lose weight again.

I met with my dietician yesterday who felt my night-time munchies were partly due to not eating enough good carbs during the day so I am factoring in small amounts of cous-cous, potatoes or corn/rye crackers into my meals. I always have to work on being an emotional eater which is why I am also part of a 12-step programme and have counselling to help support me.

I realise this is not a race: this is a lifetime/lifestye way of being and I am proud of myself for coming as far as I have physically, emotionally and spiritually.

it's been a long time since I've been on this forum so I thank you for inspring me to reply.

Good luck to you and everyone with their journey xxx

Just realised that I made a comment on this post in Jan 15 and now I'm in exactly the same position. Weight up and finding it difficult to get my head back in the right place. I know that wine (which also then includes crisps and chocolate) is my downfall. Try not to have a drink work nights but weekends are a free for all. It is such a sociable thing to do and I must find other things that don't involve it. It is all such wasted calories and way too much sugar/carbs.

I have made myself a few cards that say "Don't waste the gift" and placed them in strategic places. One is in my bathroom cabinet so that when I reach for my toothbrush each day I see it. My sleeve is a gift.

One day at a time.

Yes, Laydee_G, it is a lifetime. I know I had that mindset going in, and I was definitely nervous about it because I was 29 at the time and scared that I wouldn't be able to make it last for life. I gained confidence as the months went by. Then with this hiccup late March/early April I felt pretty deflated. I kept thinking why am I doing this to myself.

THankfully- I've been doing great since my last post. Since Thursday I've been back to basics and have taken 10 pounds off. I am so thankful that my body is responsive to positive changes. I still have another 10-20 to go. The best part is that right now I have the peace of just doing what I'm supposed to be doing. My head is relatively quiet- no trying to justify a bad choice or crazy cravings. Maybe I just needed some accountability here. It's been a while since I've checked in and written in a forum. I have also been praying about this a lot. Thank you all for being here- it really is easier to get through when you have others who are also working toward the same goal to talk to about it.