Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did loss get noticed

I agree people may notice and not say anything. Thats what I had always assumed anyways. I got a lot of "did you get your haircut? It looks nice" when I had not gotten my hair cut...lol. But I swear, once I had lost like 80 lbs, many people were saying things, but still not as many as now. My surgery was May of 2013, and I lost I think around 80 or 90 lbs that first year, then I kinda stalled out, then since this summer I've lost more to a total of 135 lbs lost. Now people I see every single day talk about it. Seems funny to me that it has been the last 30 lbs that have made evryone take notice, more so than the first 100!

Also an intersting thing is that now that I am feeling like this new body is 'me' and the novelty has worn off for me, and I feel secure about having this body for the long term, when people draw attention to my weight loss it makes me feel a bit weird. I look forward to the day when everyone just sees me for how I am and not for the changes I have made. Dont get me wrong, compliments are nice, and these people are being kind, and I have an appreciation for that. I just want my identity to be that of the fit and healthy person I am, not that of the girl who lost a ton of weight. I have made huge lifestyle changes and have cut ties to that past!

Onward! :)

I was pretty honest with people in my life that I was having surgery. I am a nurse and work in a very large NICU so I have a large work family. I have always been active at work I wear a lots of hats so most of my coworkers obviously could see I was fat but I didn't work like a fat person. I was in charge, placed PICC lines and did transport for our unit. Anyway they have all been so supportive. Even before the surgery I lost 35lbs. I always lose in my face and boobs first. They all noticed and now that I'm down a total of 135lbs I am constantly hearing how much have you lost, you are so skinny (I appreciate that but I have 75lb to lose still). Every pound I lose these days is noticed which I think it's easier to notice when you are smaller. I drop pant sizes with every 10-15 pounds lost when it took me 50lbs it seems before I went down my from my beginning size of 26.

My family notices for other reasons.., I'm happier and more active. My three boys have never had their mother participate in all their activities. I get asked a lot about what my husband thinks about it. I was thin when he met me and never made me feel bad about being overweight. He does not say much one way or the other, but I told him that people have been asking how he felt about my weight loss and he said "I love you know matter what, but if you want to know the truth I think I missed some things that I didn't know I missed. He wrapped his arms around me and said like this. I didn't know I missed it but now that I can do it again I realized that I did." Oh and I let them take my picture this year at christmas!!!

Edited by vanessak8

Weirdly enough it started really getting noticed at about 2 weeks post-op, but then again, having so much to lose I lost a lot right away

Im going back to work in a few days but today i went by and no one noticed and i lost 50 pounds :P but oh well.

I'm brand new to the forum. I got my surgery on 12/29. Honestly speaking I don't care if people notice it or not as long as I can start using clothes I stop using long ago and kept hidden in the closet with the hope that one day I could use them again. Remember that motivation comes from the inside not the outside. Others who have not been thru our same journey would hardly understand. Therefore, I can't expect understanding or motivational words from someone who has not been in my shoes before. I'm 3 days post surgery and I feel blessed not feeling cravings and been able to move around. I already went to the mall and went to the movies. Life is fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started at 412lbs on surgery date 10/12/16 I was 386lbs I've lost a total of 78 lbs and it's still hard for me to notice other ppl see it in my face, and chest area but idk I still have quite a ways to go. I notice things like being able to wrap a towel around me that didn't fit before, fitting in those lil plastic chairs i couldnt fit in before and standing and walking longer distances

I was pretty honest with people in my life that I was having surgery. I am a nurse and work in a very large NICU so I have a large work family. I have always been active at work I wear a lots of hats so most of my coworkers obviously could see I was fat but I didn't work like a fat person. I was in charge, placed PICC lines and did transport for our unit. Anyway they have all been so supportive. Even before the surgery I lost 35lbs. I always lose in my face and boobs first. They all noticed and now that I'm down a total of 135lbs I am constantly hearing how much have you lost, you are so skinny (I appreciate that but I have 75lb to lose still). Every pound I lose these days is noticed which I think it's easier to notice when you are smaller. I drop pant sizes with every 10-15 pounds lost when it took me 50lbs it seems before I went down my from my beginning size of 26.

My family notices for other reasons.., I'm happier and more active. My three boys have never had their mother participate in all their activities. I get asked a lot about what my husband thinks about it. I was thin when he met me and never made me feel bad about being overweight. He does not say much one way or the other, but I told him that people have been asking how he felt about my weight loss and he said "I love you know matter what, but if you want to know the truth I think I missed some things that I didn't know I missed. He wrapped his arms around me and said like this. I didn't know I missed it but now that I can do it again I realized that I did." Oh and I let them take my picture this year at christmas!!!

. happy for you!!!!

Well Autumn

I always say the bitch if it is "no one notices the first 75 pounds"

They will notice any day now!

I started at 333 and probably lost about 70+ lbs before people really started commenting.

Just wait a few more pounds, it's like a light switch. Pretty soon EVERYONE will start commenting. To the point of mental exhaustion.

I'm almost a year into the process, down close to 190 lbs and I still get comments almost daily. "Hey Skinny", "Holy crap, are you STILL losing weight". "My god, you're even smaller than the last time I saw you" etc, etc, etc.

It's great, but it does get old. People mean well, but at some point you will probably want to move on and talk about something else!

I'm actually at my surgeons office now and the PA was like "Wow, you look amazing. Seeing you has really made my day!"

Could be they don't notice if you still wear loose clothing!

????sonkat5355????

I did not share my surgery with anyone other than immediate family members... I did not want to deal with everyone's personal opinion. Fear of negative feedback. My surgery was at the perfect time December 19th therefore I can just say just living a healthier life when I am questioned or commented on the weight loss. My 12 year daughter has noticed in my face and my mom is measuring me daily with her eyes. Lol she has lots of fears that I will loss too much weight. You know moms, always worried...

Dana

Sleeved ~ December, 19th 2016

I started at 348lbs. I must say, I was honest with everyone about my surgery, I'm a balls to the wall kind of girl... I knew I wanted surgery and if you didn't like it...too bad!

People started noticing right away, but then again everyone knew so I think they were being polite. Now, people were flabbergasted at around 240 so that would be about 100lbs lost.

The bigger you are, the longer it takes to see it. Pretty soon, I was annoyed by all the attention, and wanted people to stop checking me out! They're talking with you and not even listening... just looking at you up and down!!!

That too comes to an end once they get used to seeing the skinnier you. Then it becomes "are you still losing" which inevitably means "you look the same" lol it's a hell of a ride, enjoy it ALL!!!

I lost a bunch of weight (like 130lbs) then relocated to another state. Been pretty steady at that line since I've been here (but with exercising a lot - weightlifting mostly). Some people would notice (mostly exercise conscious people oddly). Lost another 40 or so before surgery, so a couple of people commented. My situation is odd though. Since I can work from home when I want, they don't see me in the office for big chunks of time (sometimes a week or two). So smaller changes would stand out more.

I wouldn't worry about people noticing though. I'm actually planning on moving again maybe this year or the next. That group won't know any of what the last group (or the original group) new, lol.

Edited by HB76356