Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't gotten a call yet, most likely I'll be the following Tuesday then... I added you as a friend on here if you don't mind, seems nice to have someone going through the process simultaneously

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi all! I am in Walnut Creek. I had my surgery done March 3, 2016...just passed my one year mark. Due to some complications from the sleeve, it looks like I'm going to have a revision to an RNY. I'd like to find people to talk to about all this. My husband is wonderful, but he hasn't experienced anything like this, so he doesn't have information or opinions to offer me. If anyone wants to chat, message me!!

Hi all! I am in Walnut Creek. I had my surgery done March 3, 2016...just passed my one year mark. Due to some complications from the sleeve, it looks like I'm going to have a revision to an RNY. I'd like to find people to talk to about all this. My husband is wonderful, but he hasn't experienced anything like this, so he doesn't have information or opinions to offer me. If anyone wants to chat, message me!!

complications?

2 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

complications?

Well yes. Apparently the issues I'm having are SUPER rare according to my surgeon, but they do happen. So I am having really bad reflux (taking 80mg of Nexium daily), but that's not rare...I know a lot of people say that they have that issue. My big problem is the burping. Doesn't matter what I eat or drink, I burp. I don't mean cute little lady burps...I mean manly belching that lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on how much I ate or drank! It's really annoying, very uncomfortable, and down right embarrassing! The surgeon had me do an upper GI in which he saw that my sleeve was having some trouble emptying. So he did an EGD, and injected Botox into the pyloric valve at the bottom of the sleeve to hopefully make it stay open a little more so that my food can empty. Well, I just went for my one year appointment, and we discussed how things are going. Apparently the only way to fix this is to do a revision to the RNY. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Well yes. Apparently the issues I'm having are SUPER rare according to my surgeon, but they do happen. So I am having really bad reflux (taking 80mg of Nexium daily), but that's not rare...I know a lot of people say that they have that issue. My big problem is the burping. Doesn't matter what I eat or drink, I burp. I don't mean cute little lady burps...I mean manly belching that lasts anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on how much I ate or drank! It's really annoying, very uncomfortable, and down right embarrassing! The surgeon had me do an upper GI in which he saw that my sleeve was having some trouble emptying. So he did an EGD, and injected Botox into the pyloric valve at the bottom of the sleeve to hopefully make it stay open a little more so that my food can empty. Well, I just went for my one year appointment, and we discussed how things are going. Apparently the only way to fix this is to do a revision to the RNY. Still not sure how I feel about it.

Ouch. Did you have EGD and/or barium swallow before your VSG? if so did you have reflux already?

4 minutes ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

Ouch. Did you have EGD and/or barium swallow before your VSG? if so did you have reflux already?

I did have an EGD prior to surgery. They didn't find any damage from reflux, but they did find a hiatal hernia. I knew I had reflux when I chose the sleeve, however, there was no way to be sure whether or not fixing the hernia would fix the reflux. So I took the chance. Keep in mind, at that point, I was taking the lowest dose of nexium a couple of times a week...and there was no pain with it. This burping thing is the main issue though. It's ridiculous!

42 minutes ago, amschuttpelz said:
I did have an EGD prior to surgery. They didn't find any damage from reflux, but they did find a hiatal hernia. I knew I had reflux when I chose the sleeve, however, there was no way to be sure whether or not fixing the hernia would fix the reflux. So I took the chance. Keep in mind, at that point, I was taking the lowest dose of nexium a couple of times a week...and there was no pain with it. This burping thing is the main issue though. It's ridiculous!

I hope you get that settled. It's a concern of mine given my reflux problems.

Wonder if seeing a success video like this would help..

1 hour ago, Bill Yanez said:

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I have GERD and my surgeon talked me into a sleeve ( which exacerbates GERD) instead of the bypass ( which cures GERD). He said this is because the GERD is caused by the weight gain. Now i am worried. Surgery is April 3.