Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Favorite things- fitness/ exercise related

Ok everyone, please share your favorite things you have found for fitness. Your favorite headbands, ear buds, sports bras, clothing, armbands, compression garments, etc. and why this item is your favorite and what sets it above the rest. Many people are either starting a fitness routine for the first time ever or are returning to fitness after a long break. Things change quickly in the retail setting and it can be hard, not to mention expensive, to try many things only to find out they aren't worth it or don't last. I will start off with my favorite thing so far.

Enell brand sports bras are the BEST EVER sports bra for busty girls. I wear a 40GG and the Enell sports bra makes sure my boobs do not move at all! They are not pretty sports bras and they absolutely give you a uniboob, but I have never found another sports bra that gives this much support. Enell is a bit pricey at around $60, but they last forever too. I have been at least a DD cup since I was 14 and played sports through high school. The closest I ever got to good support and minimal movement was wearing one sports bra with a second sports bra over the top of it. Then wrapped an ace bandage around my chest and back tightly and then used a compression tank over that. So that is my favorite thing recommendation.

Please chime in and share yours! I need your ideas. Also, if you have tried something and found it sorely lacking, share that too. Knowledge is power.

Woohoo! Enell is the best sports bra, thanks OPRAH! She recommended them years ago and thanks to her big mouth I had to wait 3 months to get mine! Completely sold out! It's the only sports bra that will hold my 34 DDD in the right place! It's not the most flattering look on the girls all smashed down but oh freakin well! I like Zumba I like anything I can shake my lovely lady lumps around to ( while I still have them anyway) I also like Pilates! I'm pretty Dang flexible for a curvy chick! And I like the good ol walking with my daughters! Mother daughter time...unless they start talking about boys at school. Then I like running, running home to lock myself in my room ha!! J.j I Can't run! (Yet)

Edited by Elode

LOL, @Elode I absolutely love my Enell sports bras too. I understand your excitement. Now if I could find a good headband that stays in place and ear buds that don't fall out, I will have a great start on my workouts!

I take Water aerobics. Here are things that made it easier for me:

The first one is more of a tip than a challenge. I am out of the size range for the Speedo and Nike swim suits. Through trial and error I found that the crinkle cut suits are the best. They go from straight sizes to very large and they truly are chlorine resistant. They also don't stretch out of shape and come in a variety of colors and shapes. Best of all they have supportive built in bras.

The second challenge was finding a swimcap to fit my head. I have locs and regular swim caps didn't fit me. This etsy shop came to the rescue. Now my hair stays nice and try.

The third thing was this towel. I have sensitive skin. If I don't shower the chlorine off after class it will trigger my allergies. This makes moving from the showers to the locker room easier.

For floor time/other workouts I find that compression wear is a must. I buy them from Lane Bryants and Old Navy.

For home I recommend a set of light hand weights. The can be anywhere from 2-5 lbs depending on your upper body strength. These may be especially good if you have limited mobility since you can use these while sitting down.

Edited by BLERDgirl

My biggest tip - get a real trainer. In CT, you can call yourself a trainer after a weekend course. I use an exercise physiologist, since I was a novice to exercise, have bad knees, etc., and didn't want to hurt myself. #2 tip - get a cute trainer. I've had 2 since I started, both in their mid 20's and adorable! I know I sound like a creepy old cougar lady, but it does make it more enjoyable ;)

But seriously, to everyone out there. Working out for the first time and seeing and FEELING results has been a revelation for me. Life changing in so many ways. I am starting to "keep up" -- with my niece and nephew, with my 2 little poodles, with my colleagues at work, etc. I used to be the one at work who had to take the elevator while everyone else took the stairs. No more!

As for bras, I wouldn't invest too much money until you get to goal. I'm 4 months out and on my 3rd size down!

Good luck,

Ellen

I can't wait to hear more about this topic!! I'm also looking for ideas of what works/what doesn't.

So far, the only thing that I found that works well for me is an app called RockMyRun. It has peppy music (think Mixed Tape). It has a great beat that makes you want to move. In fact, I have to stop myself because I love some of these songs and I want to stop walking/running and just start dancing. The only thing that stops me is that I don't want to look like the crazy lady! lol.

And someone mentioned the YouTube videos for ChiRunning! I am very excited to keep trying to do Chi Running. When I know I'm doing it right, things are easier.

I couldn't afford a trainer which is why I wanted a gym with classes. Another thing I found is it's sometimes better to shop online for gym memberships. I've found that gyms will try and hard sell you all kinds of crazy services if you walk in the door and (IMO) they also tend to sign overweight people into higher contracts. I got my gym membership online at LAFitness 3 years ago. It was for $8.95 a week with no initiation fee. That comes out to roughly $36 a month for an all access membership. All access means if I go out of town I can use any LA Fitness in the area. I have talked to people in my Water aerobics class paying twice that plus they had to pay an initiation fee. Currently they have an online sale for $99 initiation fee plus $25 a month. Still a really good buy.

The other thing I did was buy 2 bathing suits and 2 sets of towels. I would come home, hang up the wet stuff and repack the bag with the dry stuff. it kept me from having the excuse that my clothes were too wet to put on.

STAY AWAY from the gym's snack bar! I don't trust the smoothies they make there. They all look like over-priced glorified milk shakes. Bring on make your own.

@@esskay77 thanks for the app recommendation. I am giving it a try today! I love music that keeps me motivated and my brain occupied while on the treadmill.

I have one other thing I can recommend and that is good supportive shoes with sufficient padding for our larger frames. It is worth investing in good shoes made for exercise because it helps keep us healthier during exercise. My favorites are Brooks and Asics. The only thing to watch out for with Asics is to avoid their cheap versions. I hate to be a shoe snob, but the Asics with a starting retail price of under $75 or so just aren't built with enough cushion and support. You can score a great deal on them though. I always look at Asics marked down and check what their original price was and if it was over the $75 price point they tend to be a better built shoe.

For you guys out there, my hubby found a pair of New Balance at Kohls with a great foundation and support. He wears them to the gym daily and they have really reduced the pain he gets in his knees and hips. He is a bigger guy, so he is a bit pickier about shoes.

Keep coming with the suggestions everyone!

I love my FitBit. It communicates with my iPhone to track my steps walked, floors climbed and calories burned (based on my weight). It is a great motivator! I have the one that clips on, but if I could do it all over, I'd buy the one that's like a Bracelet because you don't have to find anything to clip it onto. I think they run about $100. Last time I lost a substantial amount of weight, I was just using my FitBit and tracking my calories. I'm so excited to start using my FitBit again once I've had surgery - hopefully next month!

My Garmin Vivofit & an app called Yoga Studio

An activity tracker can be helpful. There are currently loads on the market so you just have to do some checking to see which one best meets your own personal needs.

I love the part when it's over, but seriously I love iHeart radio without music I cannot exercise.

I have had a fight trying to keep those elastic headbands in my hair to keep my bangs out of my face as I exercise. My frustration finally made me turn to YouTube for an answer. Turns out the answer was simple hairspray. Spray your hair and rough it up a bit before pulling it into a pony tail or bun. I also used 2 bobby pins, one behind each ear, put in what feels backwards. The bobby pins go in pushing them towards your ear and making sure you catch both hair and the headband. And it lasted through a 2 hour workout today without needing to be fixed! Yay! Now if I could just find headphones that stay put, I will be well on my way!

I have locs and watching them daily is just out of the question. Not only would it be drying & damaging, I'd run the risk of getting mildew in them. I picked up a sweat wicking head band and either add a bandanna or a loc sock to it. I may also dab a bit of tea tree oil on my scalp with a cotton ball and then hit my roots with the blow dryer on a low setting. It keep my locs from getting smelly without drying out my hair.< /p>