Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December banders, how about an update?

Hey we made it through Christmas with our wacky liquid/soft diets and scary first attempts at chewing and swallowing. How did it go?

I think I am getting the hang of it now. My surgery was the 11th, and after 2 weeks I have lost 11 lbs. I'm finally feeling like I am getting the car I'm learning to operate out of the driveway and am taking it slowly around the block.

The first week of liquid diet was hard and I found myself obsessing about what I was going to eat when I could finally have real food. then as soon as I got the all clear I came down with the flu AND a UTI (is my immune system suppressed?) and stuck with the easy stuff for a few more days.

Last night I went to Christmas dinner at my friends' and decided tonight was the night to eat a normal meal at the table, with a knife and fork, like a human being! It was great. Started off with 2 glasses of white wine (sorry, not giving up my apéritif!). I had about 8 tiny bites of tenderloin, about 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes, 2 tiny nibbles of bread and half a sliver of key lime pie. It took me as long to finish that as my dining companions took to consume huge platefuls of food--and seconds! I put very little on my plate, ate about half of it and I was full. And I stayed full the whole night until I went to bed like 6 hours later!

I am so pleased! Today I was down another pound. I am not craving any foods now.

Edited by Gilmour

surgery date was Dec 23 I was outpatient, was home for Christmas Eve than started getting sick and ended up in Hospital Christmas Day and was there for 4 days. Dr still does not have a dx for me I couldn't keep anything down and was dehydrated and white blood cell count was high. Not a good start to a new me. Now I'm almost 3 weeks out and on mushy stage a lot better that the liquid that was rough. Seen dr this week and told me i could have regular coffee and made an appointment for 3 weeks later to get my first fill. Very anxious I have lost 18 lbs and know I have a very long road in front of me but for now that's all I think about all day long worse than before my surgery. I worry about the food I eat how much I can eat, am I going to loose weigh, and so on. So for now day by day just keep pushing myself mentally that I can do it and this rough time shall pass

Had Surgery on Dec. 29th (right before end of the year for insurance reasons). Everything went pretty well. Was tired for the first week afterwards, slept a lot, and stuck to the liquid diet.

Could not drink as much for the first 4-5 days after the surgery. Thought that the stomach was smaller, but it was probably just swollen or something because I can drink a lot of liquids and Soups now. Will be moving toe mushy food starting on Monday.

All off the pain medications now. Still sore/sensitive at one of the of the incision points, which seems weird to me since every other spot feel fine.

Going in for my first appointment (and fill I think) on the 20th. Look forward to that so I will not feel as hungry as I do now.

As for weight loss- weighed in at the hospital for surgery at 307. I believe I am not at around 295 (however, that is hospital scale vs. home scale, so who really knows).

I have been using the Isopure Protein supplement from Amazon (both unflavored and Dutch Chocolate).

Side note for Protein supplement- when added to any Soup, makes the Soup very think and lumpy- like watered down instant mashed potatoes. While I do not mind that, I can see many people not liking it.

That's great Dukeuni, do you feel restriction already? I definitely can

I had my lap band surgery on December 29th. Hated the liquid diet, but my recovery went very smoothly with no problems. I didn't even have the shoulder pain everyone complains about. By day five, I felt almost back to normal except for soreness at my incision sites. I went back to work six days ago and was fine. Now I'm at day 13 and have started eating pureed foods, scrambled eggs, popcorn, and tiny bites of bread. So far, I haven't had any restrictions or problems eating, except I can only eat about a cup of food and I'm 100 percent stuffed to the gills! The only soreness I have now is at the port site, but it's getting easier to pick things off the floor and put on my right sock/shoe. That was a killer last week. No one was allowed to leave until Mom had her socks/shoes on for work (just kidding, but I did need a little help).

I've lost only about 6-8 pounds so far. My weight loss stopped once I got on the pureed stage. I hope to jump start it once I integrate more protein/meats into my diet along with more vegetables. I only eat about 1000 calories a day, so it still baffles me as to why I haven't lost more weight. I would have been a starving maniac on this amount of food before the surgery.

That's great Dukeuni, do you feel restriction already? I definitely can

After the surgery I did feel restrictions, just could not eat a lot of Soup or stuff like that. Assumed that my stomach was swollen or something. After about 5-6 days I was able to drink the soup, shakes, Water, etc. just fine. I drink 16 ounces of those items without much of a problem at all. I assumed that the swelling had gone down, and since I have not had a fill yet, that my stomach was basically like it was before the surgery.

Yesterday (day 12 I believe), I decided to try some of the Pasta I made for my daughter (spaghetti noodles, Parmesan cheese, some butter). I made sure to really chew it up, and swolloen in small parts.

WELL- BAD IDEA. Man, that hurt for some reason. Instantly felt pain at around the chest, sweating, and was not sure if it was going to go down. Not fun at all. Had a small bite of eggs today, and had some pain (not to the same extent as the Pasta noodles).

I was really surprised, I did not think the band was tight at all, but not it seems that it is restricting me somewhat.

So, while i can really take as much liquids as I want, the normal food is not there yet.

On a side note, the pasta may have worked if I had swallowed really small bites, but I did not want to try that again.

QUESTION- IS THIS NORMAL?

I was told to avoid Pasta in favor of Protein choices. Not to say I never eat it now because I do. But that early out of surgery I was told 800 calories a day and make it protein based.

I had my lap band surgery on December 29th. Hated the liquid diet, but my recovery went very smoothly with no problems. I didn't even have the shoulder pain everyone complains about. By day five, I felt almost back to normal except for soreness at my incision sites. I went back to work six days ago and was fine. Now I'm at day 13 and have started eating pureed foods, scrambled eggs, popcorn, and tiny bites of bread. So far, I haven't had any restrictions or problems eating, except I can only eat about a cup of food and I'm 100 percent stuffed to the gills! The only soreness I have now is at the port site, but it's getting easier to pick things off the floor and put on my right sock/shoe. That was a killer last week. No one was allowed to leave until Mom had her socks/shoes on for work (just kidding, but I did need a little help).

I've lost only about 6-8 pounds so far. My weight loss stopped once I got on the pureed stage. I hope to jump start it once I integrate more protein/meats into my diet along with more vegetables. I only eat about 1000 calories a day, so it still baffles me as to why I haven't lost more weight. I would have been a starving maniac on this amount of food before the surgery.

. I was banded 12/3. Pre-op I lost 15 lbs. I gained 5 lbs post-op!!! I always retain Water after surgery (noticed with child birth). Then lost it plus 5 lbs then gained 2.5 lbs!!! ( when started mushed food :( ) Now lost a tiny bit but pretty much at stall. I walk 2-3 miles a day 4-5 days a week. Currently exercising 2x week and struggling to drink 64oz of Water. Counting my calories, keeping under 1300... Just think my body is in protest mode and communicating to scales lol but what keeps me sane... measurements!!!!! I am loosing in inches :D

I was banded December 19th, 2014. I'm 5 weeks post-surgery, and had my first fill just yesterday.

The liquid diet was tough but completely manageable - talk about a test of my mental strength...! Was SO excited for my surgery day as that would bring me one day closer to solid foods.

Surgery was as simple as it could be, completely straightforward and no complications. Sore incisions, horribly painful (expected) gas pain. Off pain meds within 2 days, feeling much better within 4 days.

Currently down 29 pounds, (delightful!) although I don't see a big difference visibly. Not feeling any 'restriction' (I have learned this is a 4-letter word in the bariatric world...) although I am feeling a decent sense of satiety between meals. Will definitely be asking for a larger fill next time I go. Had a good feeling of restriction 3-weeks post surgery, but then.... it kind of fell away and I found myself wanting to eat bigger portions. Boo.

Currently sitting plateaued at 29 pounds down. Feeling terrific, just eager to REALLY get this weight loss show on the road!

Sitting in Dr's office now waiting to get first fill, I'm real nervous but from what I have read it's not a big deal , we will see????

Before my lapbanding i weighed 152 kgs my pre op diet brought me down to 7.5 kg being on opti fast for a month then the big day came i had my op done on the 10th December 2014 they were in and out i had the gas pain in my shoulder and in my tummy over night i dropped another 4 kgs don't know how that works but i did the next day i got discharged was ok for a bit then off back to the hospital cause i was in sooooo much pain so gave me panadol and morphine after that i was good was on soft food right away youghrt became my friend for about two weeks then i could eat meat i tryied eating vegies but they don't agree with me no matter how much i chew vegies i cant swallow well but hot meat i can chew and swollow anyway i dident get a band fill for 6 weeks my weight went on a stand still during that time so only managed to lose three extra kgs and only just two days ago i got my band fill of one mil which is great and i lost another three kgs in two days my exercise is walking pushing a pram and my weight now is 137.8 kgs