Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Change Your Exercise Routine in Winter?

How Do You Change Your Exercise Routine in Winter?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Change Your Exercise Routine in Winter?

• I exercise more. I love winter!
    • I don’t change my routine. I just dress a little more warmly.
    • I exercise indoors anyway, so I don’t need to change anything. I hit the gym more and go outside less, but my total exercise time is about the same.
    • I exercise less, whether it’s because of the weather or the short days and dark mornings and evenings.
    • Other. See my answer in the conversation below.

Exercise can be an important part of your life after weight loss surgery. It burns calories, makes you more disciplined, and keeps you sane. The winter weather can make exercise more difficult, whether you’re facing snow and ice, or whether you’re looking at rain or temperatures just a bit below your comfort zone. How do you change your exercise routine during the winter?

• I exercise more. I love winter!
  • I don’t change my routine. I just dress a little more warmly.
  • I exercise indoors anyway, so I don’t need to change anything. I hit the gym more and go outside less, but my total exercise time is about the same.
  • I exercise less, whether it’s because of the weather or the short days and dark mornings and evenings.
  • Other. See my answer in the conversation below.

Mark your answer, then tell us about it in the conversation below. Do you have any good ideas for staying active in the winter?

Exercising during the winter and through the holidays for the second year. Like Thanksgiving, I exercised both the day before and the day after. I tasted many foods I don't normally eat, but had absolutely no guilt as I burned 900+ calories both the day before and the day after. Exercising six days a week has remained constant now for 1 1/2 years!!!!!!!! I can honestly say now that I enjoy exercise and I look forward to it daily!

I do Water aerobics primarily. I also use the machines and the treadmill at my gym. Occasionally I drop in on a pilates or zumba class. everything is indoors so none of that really changes. However. I live on a small street. If there is a bad snow in the winter and the snowplows come through what sometimes happens is the cars get plowed in. Then I go to plan B. I have a few youtube channels book marked that I can work out with, or I will pull up something On Demand. I also have light hand weights. If I get snowed in I just make sure to get at least 30 minutes of activity a day.

Elliptical, Dailyburn, kick-boxing in winter cold ( I HATE winter weather, lol.)

Spring & Summer is when I come to life....outside all day. I walk, swim, and do significant gardening. Same for Fall until Jack Frost shows up.

I go to the gym, so I don't have a weather excuse. I do like to alternate between the elliptical, bike and treadmill and free weights. I also take a weight class once a week and swim when I have a bathing suit that fits which I do not right now. Too big. Can't be having the girls pop out. Lol.

I am exercising this winter (and have in some winters past).

But the days are longer, which means our family schedule is altered (we sleep a little more in the winter). In the winter, there's no outdoor chores -- no law mowing, no gardening, no working outside. There are colder days, which means fewer days of walking outside for exercise and no hiking, kayaking or canoeing.

I've just made some 2015 fitness goals, and have added in some more exercise already. I look forward to more gym work this winter. Hope I follow through with it.

In the winter I tend to do all of my exercise indoors. Once the weather is nice enough, my cardio will be done outside every time I can. My strength training is done indoors year round.

In the winter, I can really become a recluse so I have to fight that!! But I probably really do slow down in the winter. I prefer to go outside for walk/jog but living in the northeast in an urban neighborhood makes that not a good idea. It is too dark and cold outside by the time I get home from work. I haven't been able to get myself up early to work out before work though I may try to change that soon.

I do have a gym membership but the hardest part is getting there. Once I'm there I'm good and get in a good workout. It is my goal this year to work out more often.

I did just put an addition on my house which includes a "workout room" (ok, it will someday be a first floor bedroom!). I have a yoga mat, yoga ball, kettle bell, jump rope, and things like that. I have been trying to do old fashioned exercises like toe touches, jumping jacks, that sort of thing. THey are tough and are the thing that really make me sore--anything at the gym doesn't make me very sore at all.

I should also get my personal trainer back--he's a bit expensive and not really that good but having an appointment where he is coming to my house makes it so I can't really cancel.