Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my sleeve on 12-23-2014... Now for the questions

Let me just say... I was big and bad going into this. I was in control of my two week diet before surgery... no cheating... picture of strength.. I was ready. The day of surgery, I was big and bad again... Let me tell you, when I came to after the surgery the nurse laughed at me because she could tell I skipped the silly talking a lot phase and went straight into "I'm gonna puke... what the hell did I do?" phase. I felt horrible that first day. Yesterday morning when I got ready to leave I was feeling OK but the minute I was in the car riding home I became SUPER nauseated. So what I'm trying to figure out now: Is the pain I'm feeling gas? Am I drinking my sips to fast and to big? Is my pain med making me sick? I kept reading about all the gas issues, but I don't know if that's what I'm feeling or what... TMI time... my poor roommate had to hear this, but I went to the bathroom cause I just thought I was going to die and ended up passing gas like an Olympic champion. My roommate literally ran to the door and asked if I was OK and I was screaming "Thank you Jesus." I didn't even get near my Protein or Water goals today... Every little thing I drink makes me feel bad. However, this morning (25th) I'm handling water better and I'm even having hot herbal tea right now because my sleep schedule is F'd up. Any comments about your experience with the first few days would be greatly appreciated!

post-239285-0-84149200-1419493140_thumb.jpg

My first few days were weird. I was sleeved 12/17. I was gassy as could be! I'd run (lol) to the toilet thinking, surely I've got to have a bowel movement, even knowing I hadn't eaten any solid food; and I'd let out an Olympian pool sized ginormous gas! Air freshener is one of my better friends now. I still struggle to get in all the required liquids amounts and Protein. I just get full way too fast. I have less physical energy than a gnat and find I have to rest frequently than before. I'm also learning to listen to my new self more each day and learning her cues, learning to take smaller amounts, bites and sips. I'm also learning to deal with food variety, or lack thereof, boredom. This same old, same old, broth, Jello, Water, juice! Please, if I never see another sugar-free Popsicle, it won't be too soon! So, basically I just tKe one day at a time, pace myself, and keep moving! It is the beginning of a lifelong journey with my new self and believe me, we're both adjusting! This is permanent and so I'm committed to not mucking this up. I have my good days and my bad days, but I don't cheat. Since the procedure, I've lost weight. 23 pounds since the 17th! I'm happy with that!

@SeptemberSlimmer1960... Holy Moly! 23lbs since th 17th? Sounds like you're doing great!

I had a lot of dry heaves in the hospital. It was horrible, but by day 4, I felt like a new person. I remember thinking, "why did I do this to myself?" It does get better and is so worth it!

y'all are very lucky I got sleeved on 12 23 as well how in the heck are you passing the gas? I have been walking walking walking I have dissolves about 8 gas x strips... gas under breastbone and shoulder blade! No nausea or puking... thank goodness just THIS DARN GAS, A tiny bit of fatigue. Other than that feeling pretty good. just have to figure out what I am doing....lol

I'd take the meds they gave you..keep walking and stay hydrated..the first couple of weeks is a huge adjustment..I'm 5 weeks and man that period made me so much stronger and focused..u out were big and bad beforehand keep that mentality.

Yes, what you described is exactly how I felt after waking up from surgery, the minute I said nausea, the nurses was pushing iv reglan,Pepcid and zofran, , and 2 mg of dilaudid, good drug, stayed 2 days in hospital then felt like a million bucks

Guy's Room

It all sounds normal. today is the 29th... I bet you are feeling a million times better by now. 2 weeks post-op even better.... 6 weeks post-op you will have nearly forgotten that you had surgery and are only reminded when you keep seeing that scale drop. welcome to the other side brother. give us an update @@Shace

Congrats Shace! Yes, Bro you aren't experiencing anything that I didn't! The gas tank explosions were off the chain!! Lol!!!

I will say that it is important to take those sips and eat in small bites. I felt like I was pre-op at times and was tempted to scarf down food. That reflux or feeling like food was "stuck" kicked my ass!!! On nausea, that's off and on for me. Certain foods, especially Pasta, seems to kick off the nausea for me. I have nausea meds that I will take as needed. Took a lot in the beginning.

Give us a 1 week update so we know how you are now Bro.

Well, I'm 10 days post op... and after those first few days of pain, I actually started feeling better around day 4. At day 10, I feel kind of normal again. Have not had any reflux issues... or heartburn... or throwing up. Nadda. Knock on wood... I'm currently on the puree diet. I'm starting to believe more in the Constipation issues I've read about folks having... It is REAL! lol... A lot of the times I have this feeling like I could drink or eat like I used to... I can go through a bottle of Water pretty fast without issue. I know all that is in my mind, so I'm not testing the theory with my tummy. I'm keeping up with my Water and Protein... with Premier Protein shakes being my life saver. I bought a crap load of Isopure drinks in various flavors and I just couldn't drink them.. That sweet metallic taste was nasty. Premier chocolate goes down nice and easy. Will have my first check up with my doctor on the 16th. Was 404 on the 1st of December and today I'm 369!

Yep..I do the Premier chocolate shakes too. I just started back on them as I got kind of burned out on them after the liquid diet.

Definitely your new stomach will remind you if you are taking in too much. I'm 15 weeks out and I still think I can consume like I used to. Then...boom....I get that reflux like feeling like something is caught in my chest.. I then slow it down.

Keep up the good work. The hard part is over now. Just get ready for the new Shace.

My first few days were easy...then the hammer fell. Not only physically but emotionally as well. I've never been that depressed but it passed quickly. Hang in there and surround hours leg with supportive friends or family.

Yep, everything you said could of been my story. Something I haven't seen discussed on here is the continuing of the gas bombs. I am 7 months post op and can fart like a freight train. On the good side, very rarly do they have any smell. But the sound & duration could wake the dead. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but I could take the gold in the wind biscut olympics.

Yup...gotta concur with Hoginona04...the gas part doesn't go away. I'm a year post-op, and can blow like a smelly smokestack all day long!! That being said...most of what you were going through was/is pretty common. You will get used to the new body and the new sleeve quickly...soon to the point of your getting so used to portions that you'll be able to measure by sight. As for vomiting and such, you'll learn your body and know your limit. Personally, I had only 4 episodes, and each of them were of my own doing. 1st was at the hospital when I drank too fast, 2nd was when first started solid food and got greedy, 3rd was when I was running my mouth at dinner and was not paying attention to how fast I was eating, and 4th was my first crack at eating out...all situations I learned from and never repeated.