Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You guys I don't know why but I am depressed, my surgery was on dec 17th and depression has hit me. I know what I did is a good thing and I did it for my self but why am I depressed? Everything gets to me so quick and I don't want to go anywhere to see anyone and I just feel like crying. I started on stage two full liquids as of Monday and for some reason the pain was unbearable... I called my dr and he told me that I had major surgery especially because mine was a revision and I have a lot to heal inside. I think that pain has traumatized me from food. I don't think I will eat again. Is anyone else experiencing the depression part??

Yes, I have and still do occasionally. I had random crying spells and didn't want to be bothered spells even with my husband and kids! It's not as often and getting better! What did I do? Allow my family to support me from afar, to pray with and for me, I've talked to close girlfriends about it and gotten excellent advice about having an environment that promotes peace, tranquility and healing. I get out and walk more, listen to my favorite music and meditate. I do nice things for myself and treat me every now and again. All of this has and continues to help! I hope you start feeling better soon! If not, seek assistance from your doctor. As a preoperative requirement, we had to be cleared by a psychiatrist. This may be a resource for you as well! God bless! Merry Christmas!

It is especially normal to be depressed for a bit following surgery. I think we have all thought "what did I just do?" but that goes away. I am guessing that after that, depression doesn't hit everybody but it can be a normal part of the process. That is why it's good to see a shrink for a while. You are changing your lifestyle and that can be scary. You have to eliminate bad habits and form new ones which is hard to do. But you are also changing physically and it's almost like losing a good friend. You need to learn how to deal with this and other issues. You probably go through a grieving period. And it is probably good to learn how to reframe things in your head. Set different expectations. I know that if I expected to lose 20 pounds a month after surgery, I would be very disappointed and upset and then depressed. But, if I reframed that to where I expect to eat better at each meal (but with very specific meal plan here), and hope to lose as much as I can, but a reasonable amount, not 20 pounds/month, then things feel very differently. The only thing that changed was how I framed it in my head.

You are still in the early stages and are probably hungry! lol. It will get easier and better. But it is best to find a shrink and/or support group like Overeater's Anonymous, and also a good support system within your family and friends (though don't expect them ALL to be there for you because they won't and that's ok.)

Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

I agree with the above statement this is normal, you have made the choice to be healthy focus on one day at a time and get out of that house , take a walk around your neighborhood, go and walk around the mall, go window shopping , and ask your doctor for a support group, you can do this and we are here for you. Good luck and keep us posted, also buy a journal I write in mine everyday and this has helo me as well. Once I joined the gym I began meeting new friends that are positive.

I'm not post-op but I have done a lot of reading lately and I think I read that you have huge hormonal changes after surgery, similar to after having a baby, so it's not unreasonable to think that may be a cause of depression and esp of mood swings. Keep trying to get your Protein and Water in, and get as much rest as you can - you're healing from surgery but depression itself is exhausting. At the same time, some short walks outside in the sun (if there's any out there now) may help as well.

I have been there girl! And still have those days! But it is getting better! Someone told me to write a list of all the positive things this surgery will do for me and look at it daily as a reminder. Also you can talk with your doctor, see what they recommend. It's kinda like buyers remorse. It does get better. I had mine on October 20th.

krisstep, Just give yourself some time. You just had major surgery and I'd be willing to bet that you have lost some weight and are looking great. Just think, by this summer you'll be wearing clothes that are half the size of the ones you were wearing on December 16th, Keep you chin up sweetie!

I am just over 5 weeks post-op and I've been battling depression on and off. Some days I feel great, other days I ask myself what in the world have I done to myself. I actually just asked myself that question before logging on. I try to eat and keep up with the family and before I realize it I have taken that extra bite which makes me sick, nauseous, and vomiting. I feel like I paid my surgeon to make me into an anorexic! I guess basically I did. But then I think about the positive and how I will feel when I reach my goal. Those feelings always outweigh anything else I may feel. Even though right now I am feeling lower than low. Keep your head up, keep smiling, and we are all here for each other. Hugs

You guys I don't know why but I am depressed, my surgery was on dec 17th and depression has hit me. I know what I did is a good thing and I did it for my self but why am I depressed? Everything gets to me so quick and I don't want to go anywhere to see anyone and I just feel like crying. I started on stage two full liquids as of Monday and for some reason the pain was unbearable... I called my dr and he told me that I had major surgery especially because mine was a revision and I have a lot to heal inside. I think that pain has traumatized me from food. I don't think I will eat again. Is anyone else experiencing the depression part??

Maybe when you start feeling a certain way, you can pick a mantra to help you through it or out of it. Pick something short and sweet, something that inspires you. Good luck to you! !! You are going to be fine!

Sandys I am the same way. I Ask my self daily "why?" Why did you do this to your self ... But again I keep positive and think if happy things and how in the summer I'll finally be able to wear the clothes I want to wear and I keep telling my self this feeling is only temporary and I will enjoy life just in a healthier way... Keep in touch and we are here for one another. If you have myfitness pal I would love to connect :)

krisstep, I do have myfitness pal. How do I find you?

Depression set in for after surgery but it was due to not being able to eat the foods i liked and not losing weight immediately. I just kept thinking I am still fat but it will get better. It is a constant struggle. I still have those depressed days where i feel fat and i feel i will never lose all the weight of was hoping for. But it's a every day challenge. You have to get up get dressed smile when you want to cry. Dress up just for think he heck of it. You have to make you feel better. Plus we are here for you as WLS patients. Stay strong