Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My PCP is having cold feet

So...Im currently on the 6 month physician supervised diet required by my health insurance. Went in today for my 3rd weigh-in and my doctor was so frickin negative. It left me feeling so bummed. He said something like "I really wish there was something to say to get you to change your mind. I know this surgery will not work."....MIND YOU...He was originally supportive when I started in October. Maybe he said this cuz I had a 2lb weight gain...but I am on my period....I usually gain about 4lbs.

Perhaps he was only supportive because he thought I wouldnt follow through.

Idk...im just feeling bummed out about this. I really LOVE my doctor and do not want to switch providers mid program but I just may have to.

Thanks for listening

Just tell him this is what you want and you understand the risk. At least complete your months of supervised diet, if he doesn't send in the letter correctly to your insurance then change. After the surgery it will be all Water under the bridge. I asked my primary years ago, she continued to say negative and disparaging things, then last january a switch flipped and she was thrilled. Don't know ... I just know I am thrilled with my sleeve

It is impossible for anyone to know you won't make it. You will grab this opportunity and make the most of your surgery. You know what is in your heart even if you have doubts. 2 lb s gained in the big picture aren't squat. I have gained or lost those same 2lbs a100 times. But on the 30th I'm getting sleeved. Be strong. I'm with you! N

Doctors are people too, they are certainly not perfect, they sometimes do and say the wrong things at the wrong times. Maybe he was in his own bad mood? A 2lb gain isn't the end of the world, he should've understood the period thing...

My own Doc was all gung ho about surgery, then at the 11th hour he starts telling me how risky it (I'll be as a surgery risk), I took it as he thinks him telling this is his concern for my well being (him being so smart & earning his money)... Yeah, yeah, yeah, just write the note for the surgery clearance.

Just get on with what you need to do, never mind his stupidity at that moment.

Just tell him this is what you want and you understand the risk. At least complete your months of supervised diet, if he doesn't send in the letter correctly to your insurance then change. After the surgery it will be all Water under the bridge. I asked my primary years ago, she continued to say negative and disparaging things, then last january a switch flipped and she was thrilled. Don't know ... I just know I am thrilled with my sleeve

Thanks for your words...I'm feeling better

It is impossible for anyone to know you won't make it. You will grab this opportunity and make the most of your surgery. You know what is in your heart even if you have doubts. 2 lb s gained in the big picture aren't squat. I have gained or lost those same 2lbs a100 times. But on the 30th I'm getting sleeved. Be strong. I'm with you! N

Will do ????

Doctors are people too, they are certainly not perfect, they sometimes do and say the wrong things at the wrong times. Maybe he was in his own bad mood? A 2lb gain isn't the end of the world, he should've understood the period thing...

My own Doc was all gung ho about surgery, then at the 11th hour he starts telling me how risky it (I'll be as a surgery risk), I took it as he thinks him telling this is his concern for my well being (him being so smart & earning his money)... Yeah, yeah, yeah, just write the note for the surgery clearance.

Just get on with what you need to do, never mind his stupidity at that moment.

You're right. Maybe he's just having a bad day.

I'll work harder so he can see Im really trying.

Thanks for your kind words

wish there was something to say to get you to change your mind. I know surgery will not work

@@Sleeve_Sistah85

OMG

R U kidding me?? :o :angry:

I can't get over any doctor saying such a thing like that to his patient

discouraging/upsetting/hurtful to his patient/you - like he did :wacko:

don't think his comments had anything do to a possible "bad day" he was having :wacko:

the only comment i will make is "maybe" he was thinking like" if you've already had a 2 lb weight gain, you might not be true to the rules/sleeve"

i'm sure that is not the case for you and you will follow all the rules necessary

if he WAS concerned about the above - maybe he should have said something like

"you really shouldn't gain weight now while you are on pre-op just starting

thats not a good indication of things to come post op"

it is true you SHOULD lose(or not gain) weight pre-op, but his words were unnecessary/mean/crazy

show him you will comply with the rules - prove him wrong

the above being said..............

i am the pot calling the kettle black :mellow:

do as i say not as i do :(

i didn't have a pre-op required - had a food funeral for a "few days"

i should have "forced" myself to do a pre-op diet, didn't chose to :angry:

I weighed 4.3 lbs more the DOS than the first time i was weighed a month earlier :o

ahhhh, confession is good for the soul ;)

good luck with surgery

I KNOW you will follow the rules and be a success :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My doc has never been on board with WLS until now. She knew if I didn't deal with issues from my past and heal mentally I wouldn't be successful. After intense therapy and healing I brought it up with her. She was so pleased and said if I was her sister she would now recommend the sleeve surgery. I love her and trust her honesty! Maybe your doctor has reservations based on your history. If rather discuss it than have a wedge between you.

So many good responses above. I have a similar concern with my PCP - she has been pushing the Mark Furhman juicing thing on me for months now, every single time I go in. "It works for me! I lost 10 lbs and have kept it off!" (she's rail thin).

I just roll my eyes internally. I mentioned weight loss surgery to her at one point, and she said "Boy, you must REALLY be desparate!". Well, yeah, I kinda am, thank you very much.

I mentioned this to my team at the doctor's office and they said, "You know what, you will be seeing us for at least a year, we will be ordering all your blood work, and managing your diet/tummy for a long time. Of course you will mention it to your PCP at some point, but unless you have to see her soon, you might not need to discuss it with her until you are well on your way to a stable, and much lower weight."

Thankfully she did sign the approval letter thing, but I bet she rolled her own eyes several times before she did :)

I think you PCP was unprofessional for saying that, but I do agree with @Jordan861 's recommendation. However, I would likely switch doctor's post-op. I need a doctor who can either fake faith in me or at least show a bit more tact when expressing dissent.

My doc has never been on board with WLS until now. She knew if I didn't deal with issues from my past and heal mentally I wouldn't be successful. After intense therapy and healing I brought it up with her. She was so pleased and said if I was her sister she would now recommend the sleeve surgery. I love her and trust her honesty! Maybe your doctor has reservations based on your history. If rather discuss it than have a wedge between you.

If that was the PCP's concern then he should have voiced that. To just be negative was unprofessional.

If your doctor is advising against WLS because of a MEDICAL concern, then that is appropriate. He should discuss these reasons with you and weigh the pros and cons in a professional manner. If he is against it for any other reason then he is being an ass and you need to find a new PCP. You really need to make sure he is on board and totally supportive of your decision. Or find someone that is. Or the best thing is what Proudgrammy said....You control how successful you are, so you can prove him wrong!

I was self pay and went to Mexico, so my doctor was not involved in my decision at all. When I did tell him, He was skeptical because he had seen so many failed WLS cases. Not to mention the going to Mexico part. But he still supported my decision. He admitted to not knowing much about VSG, so he did some research and mostly defaulted to my surgeon's recommendations for followup. At this point I have made a believer out of him, both with my decision to have surgery and my choice of surgeons. (He should be used to that, though...I chose my own neurosurgeon and made him write me a referral when I needed a cervical fusion years ago.). I trust him with caring for me, but he also trusts that I am an intelligent, resourceful person. Very mutually respectful relationship.

Edited by Kindle

My PCP said something similar and just gave me a bad vibe. So I skipped her and mentioned the sleeve to my endocrinologist. He was totally on board, was very familiar with the procedure, understood the weight loss battle of his patients. The man is just awesome. Anyhoo, he was the one who referred me.

Can't wait to see my PCP this summer for my yearly check up! She probably won't remember me but I'm definitely going to remind her and tell her just how wrong she was. That way if someone else asks her about the surgery...maybe she'll take the time to educate herself and respond positively.