Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling a little discouraged

I had my WLS 11/12/14. I have followed all the rules, but I really didnt move much the first month. I am becoming more active now. I lost 15 lbs the first 2 weeks, then its been stuck, lost 2 lb the next week and now another 3. so for the first 6 weeks I’ve lost 20lbs. I feel like it may be slow. Or maybe I am just paranoid. I am definitely trying to not compare myself to others weight loss but its a little hard. I have that part of me that is negative and keeps saying this will not work. Trying to overcome that. I do not want to have gone through this for nothing. I am aware that its a good weight loss which I would not have done on my own. Just trying to figure out what the average is. I am thankful that I am feeling normal again, and I am definitely moving more, starting walking and will start yoga. I guess I am just needing some encouragement since there aren’t many people I can talk to. Althought my girls @@AValle23 and @@Klein1175 are the bomb.com LOVE YOU GIRLS <3

Edited by living55

You've answered all your own questions:

1. You need to move more.
  2. Do not compare yourself to others
  3. 20lbs in 6 weeks is more than you have ever been able to do on your own.

Remind yourself of this and continue to work your program.

It has taken me a year to lose 70 of the 100 pounds I need to lose. Don't worry so much about average. Go to this link to see some non-scale victories to watch out for. It is a long thread, but will give you an idea of more meaningful ways to observe your success.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/276681-how-about-some-nsvs/?hl=%20nsv

You can't. Compare yourself to others. When going through this everyone goes on their own journey. And you can't feel lonely because you have a lot of people around you that love you. And if you lost 20lb already that's wonderful. You should be proud of that and plan to do more next month because you're moving around more now. Remember it's one step at a time don't stress yourself. You are a fighter a strong one at that so don't give up

I think all of us goes into surgery with sugar plums dancing in the air. we have a fantasy about how much weight we are going to lose each and every week. and when we don't it gets us a bit down. as long as you are doing all the right things the weight will come off. stop getting on the scale. as you have already seen it can make you depressed. instead feel how well your clothes are fitting. or how easy it is to walk, instead of the scale concentrate on all the other things weight lost does for us. mine was inches lost and sizes in clothes. happy happy. the scale not so happy. wishing you luck

It's easy to get discouraged, easy to compare ourselves to others, and scary to fear this won't work! And it's all normal. You might lose slowly or you might speed up, but sounds like you are losing and that's what matters. Time marches on either way, and at the end of a year, you could lose a pound a week and be 50 pounds lighter (and I suspect it will be more), or you could have done nothing and weighed 20-30 pounds more next year. It's all perspective.

As you continue to feel better, become more active and get more comfortable with the changes you are making, you start to gain some comfort that this will work for you, as long as you do your part! Good luck.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I was sleeved on 11/19. I just had my dietitian visit today and she told me that average weight loss the first 4 months was 40 % of the EXCESS body weight. So if you had 100 pounds to lose than 40 obs in 4 months would be average. That being said, I want to emphasize like others on this thread that each person is individual and not to expect specific numbers.

You are doing a great job because you are on the downward scale of losing! Everyone is different so you can't compare your weight loss to others. Just keep moving, eating right and staying focus on your own personal journey :)!!!!

I am right there with you feeling a bit discouraged and worried that this isn't working. I know I have such a fear of failure and I went into WLS with the belief that it would be almost impossible to fail with this. So, it is very scary to think that even still I could not lose the weight. Others keep telling me, don't worry, you WILL lose. But like you, I've only lost 25 lbs in the past 6 weeks - and most of that was in the first two! I've been stalled most of the time since. I'm a real rule follower - so I've been doing everything I was told. So - I just keep hoping things will improve and I will start seeing more results and you will too!

DONT COMPARE!! you will drive yourself nuts! and YAYYY to what already has suceeded in losing! my first month I had in the back of my mind I had done every diet known in the universe. what makes this any differant? its a learned thinking pattern as obese ppl in general tell themselves...IT WORKS IF you do what your dr has outlined. it doesnt matter if its a stall which means the body is catching up an knows there has been a major change! or its ahalf a pd a wk or 3 pds a wk! its still a loss! hang in there...plz dont second guess yourself. (although its normal) but it can drive yourself crazy an can be depressing. dont worry about everyone else. we all lose differantly. get your Protein in as much as possible, drink an move. move even if your limited. I am limited but what I have done my body is adjusting the way it should. keep us posted.. :) I forgot to mention I hit that stall at 3 wks an was stuck in it for almost 3 wks..dont fret.

Edited by blondebomb

@@living55,

The thing to keep in mind is that your body is still swollen and recovering from surgery even six weeks out. This can lead to slow results. You need to cut yourself some slack. You hit the nail on the head when you said you need to stop comparing yourself with others. We all go through our own journey that is unique to each of us. None of us lose weight the same way. The biggest piece of advice for kicking past this lull is to move more. Try walking a little further each day. I recommend getting a step and activity monitor such as a FitBit. It will be an amazing way to be sure you are constantly improving each day. The weight will come off in time if you put in the work. I started really dropping the pounds when I returned to my active job after the six week mark. Before this point my weight loss had me feeling the exact same way you are now. Realizing you are not alone and reaching out to this community was a good first step. The next will be put into action a lot of the things myself and others have suggested.

If you do that I know you will do amazing and reach your goals in no time. I believe in you and know you can do it!

Thank you all for the encouraging words and kindness. Merry Christmas to all ????

I had my surgery 10/23 I am at my 2 month sleevaversary. My weightloss also slowed to a snails pace at 6 weeks. I just kept on keeping :) finally this week it just started coming off again. Everyone is different so try not to look at the numbers! My goal was 40 pounds down by 2 months and I fell shy coming it at 37. But u know what... That's ok!!!!!! On to my next mini goal for Valentine's Day! 50 pounds down here I come!

Edited by kikicoates78

37 pounds is fantastic! And if you think, "Wow, I only lost 20 pounds," then go to the grocery store, pick up a 20 pound bag of rice or sugar, and prepare to be impressed with yourself.

We all stall, it's part of the process. The problem is that we all have been focused on our weight throughout our lives, and we're still obsessing. We've also been on endless diets that didn't work, so half our brains are expecting failure this time around, too. Relax, take a long walk, and enjoy life... it will only get better.