Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does WLS Help a Spouse Lose Weight?

Hello! I'm new here and my husband has undergone the sleeve surgery 11 days ago. Just wondering for those of you in the long term phases if any of you have also lost weight due to your spouses new eating habits/lifestyle?

I began this journey back in June...that was my orientation class and first nutrition meeting. I came home and shared the information and all the info I've learned for the past 6 months. My surgery was just a few days ago. However I lost 50+ lbs before the surgery and my husband lost over 40+ pounds. He is still losing and has his own goals. But his thought process was that we would do this together even though he doesn't need the actual surgery. I am very proud to have such support :)

ProjectMe that is awesome! I can/need to lose weight as well ... just don't know if the surgery is for me. I did the liquid diet with him prior to surgery to be supportive and have been reading up on all that I can to help him be successful. Guess part of me hopes I'll lose weight in the process too. ????

My husband followed my pre-op diet with me, and now has modified it to be a paleo diet. He's losing weight (12 pounds so far in under 2 weeks) and pretty happy about it! He just needs to lose around 40 more pounds, so surgery wasn't as needed for him.

We're both researching recipes now and pretty excited about losing weight and getting healthy together. :)

The journey is always easier with someone else! That is true whether one or both of you has surgery. Although my wife did not need to lose weight, she has gone with me to all of my appointments and has changed to a much healthier diet to support me. She actually says she feels guilty eating around me. Whatever it takes, I guess!

The last time I got serious and dropped some weight about 10 years ago, my partner did the same program and lost as much as I did which was a lot of weight. Now, because it's just me having the surgery and old habits have returned I'm feeling alone. I wish it were OK to say, imma need to that eat sugar and junk outside on the porch like a smoker. Lol...I'm feeling alone this time around, ultimately it's up to me to control what I put in my mouth.

I'm separated,but my fifteen year old son has lost about ten pounds since I had surgery in July. He doesn't need to lose weight. He's slender and a picky eater, I've been struggling to get him to eat. He's Autistic and on a med. that affects his appetite also,so before was eating more processed food and junk. So I've had to buy some snack foods for him and ensure and that did the trick.

Oh, so the answer is that yes a spouse could loose weight after your surgery.

You bet! My wife didn't have anywhere near as much to lose as I did, but she has adopted many of my new habits, only not to the same degree. The whole family now eats off of smaller dishes, and many meals feature 2 veggies instead of one veggie and a starch. I, of course, only eat the Protein and some veggies. My weight is now below where my wife started, so she strives not to let me catch her. :o B)

Hello! I'm new here and my husband has undergone the sleeve surgery 11 days ago. Just wondering for those of you in the long term phases if any of you have also lost weight due to your spouses new eating habits/lifestyle?

ASOLUTELY! My husband stopped snacking, cut down on carbs, and increased his Protein. Just being around me on my journey has made him more aware of his own eating habits. He lost 10 pounds and gained muscle definition. It works both ways! And a friend I know had lap band and his spouse lost weight being "considerate".

Edited by Becoming Bariatrical

Before my surgery we ate out a lot with Golden Corral buffet being a favorite. I don't know if my husband has lost weight but we don't eat out as much and haven't been to a buffet at all. It seems a waste of money. So your spouses habits will likely change at least a little.

My fit husband has actually put on a few pounds since my surgery as he frequently is finishing up my meals at restaurants that I can no longer eat!

As a result of my surgery and increase in exercise, my husband has started walking on the treadmill again. :) Since he's an insulin-dependent diabetic, we have measured/weighed our food, counted the carbs, used smaller plates, cooked only 1 serving a piece for dinner so we can't go back for seconds, and similar habit changes for YEARS. His weight loss has been very slow, but he's working on it. I just have to do what I can to help him not get so frustrated with the slowness of the weight loss. I love him no matter what, and I love that he's been so supportive of me and is trying to change his habits.

Post surgery, when we go out to eat, we order only one dinner and I eat off of his plate. Our dining out spending has decreased considerably :rolleyes:

Edited by MrsSugarbabe