Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May bubble got busted a while ago

I started this journey last April. Knowing full well that my hubs insurance did not cover WLS. I quit smoking. I had a sleep study and was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and now use a c-pap. I went on a 6 month PCP supervised diet, which was just completed in time for my new insurance to be in effect. Someone I work with told me UHC will require ANOTHER 6 month PCP supervised diet once I have the insurance, beginning in January. WHY?? How does that make sense? The doctor kept record, he kept notes. I kept a food journal. I weighed in each month without fail. WTF?!! Am I worrying for no reason? I contacted the bariatric hospital who works directly with my insurance, and they said that since I did all this (already) I would only need 3 additional appts to be submitted for approval. But my heart is broken thinking I will have to start back at square one. That could damage my attitude beyond repair. Anyone out there know???

Oh what a heartache, and I can seriously feel your frustration. I actually did self-pay since I knew that my insurance (who demanded 6 month nonsensical pre-crap "We're not gonna let you do it anyway" )would bail out last minute after I did everything. They do that- mine does, anyway. So we dug around and financed it ourselves, cuz it is worth every penny. But hang in there, I firmly believe everything happens for a reason and in the time it was meant to happen, even though we may not be able to see the reason now. If you can, be patient and try to focus on the after-life once your surgery is done. Start planning what you can do, where you can go what you will wear once it's all said and done. In the meantime, continue on as you have been, and know that it'll help all you have already done. Good luck to you and Merry Christmas!

If i were in your shoes u would continue with the monthly dr visits... Even I the insurance requires only 6 then you won't be missing any and will have extra. Keep doing what your doing. All insurances are different and I would suggest talking with the surgeons office who will be doing your work. Although I had to have the special 6month dr monitored diet as well my dr had a specific form that had all the specific information. Which my insurance required. Check with you surgeon... They should be able to help you even in advance of coverage so that you will know whAt will be required. Head up and stay positive. If it's ment to be it will be....

Hugs of support

Verdict is, UHC says I meet all requirements, and all I have to do now is meet the Bariatric center requirements and set a ,date! So I need to do the psych eval, EGD, dietitian appt and nutrition class. Then it all gets submitted for approval. I was told by UHC that she expects I'll be approved in the next month or so. YAY!!!

I'm new here and your post was the first one that I read. I'm SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I know the insurance companies make us jump through so many hoops, and I know they have their reasons, but I feel like I have been preparing for this my whole life!

I bet you felt like you could jump ten feet in the air! Way to go!

I read your initial post and my heart sunk for you. Going thru the 6 month myself now, I could only imagine how you felt. I am relieved to see you are still on track. Don't give up!!