Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Massive Headache , could I be dehydrated?

Hi all, I sit here in the dark, which Is helping some I guess, but I woke up this morning with a headache that crushed me. Im not a Migraine person so it not likely to start now at age 43. But this brought me low, to the point I cried like a baby for it to stop. Im only 5 days out post op and I took some liquid Tylenol to help with the headache. it has helped and ive taken in 10 ounces of Vitamin Water in the past 3 hours as well. Im wondering, I thought I was getting in enough water 48 two days ago and 51 ounces yesterday, along with 69 grams of Protein, but has anyone had a massive headache that was dehydration. Another one of these and its off to the er or er clinic perhaps.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily. I did see a medical documentary about brain aneurysms. They get a sudden very painful "thunderclap" headache-- that was the indicator that it was very serious. I would like to see you go to the ER.

Edited by BeagleLover

Your body is still pushing out all the stuff they gave you during surgery. You are going to get headaches from the lack of food too. Your body is used to eating a lot more right. It takes time for the change to happen.

Try to consume some coconut Water if you can. no pulp. It is a natural hydrater. Also some G2 just to help as a thirst quencher at this point.

If you are feeling weak and dizzy and want to throw up it is possible it is dehydration. The above will assist. :)

Does the Migraine headache get slightly better when you lay down? If so, that is actually a good sign. The ER is notorious for giving Benadryl for Migraines. It does work, but makes you feel stupid because it would have been a lot easier to stay at home and take a dose yourself. If it really feels like a migraine, I would try the Benadryl.

I am getting over a sinus and ear infection that started out as a severe headache. I am getting over it now on strong medication, but now everyone in my house has influenza A. The flu vaccine does not prevent or lesson the symptoms of it, so it looks like I'll be spending x-mas with the flu.

Hope your migraine headache subsides so that you can enjoy your day.

I had my very first Migraine headache in my late 40's. I get them very rarely. It may be a cluster headache also. Try the benedryl or excedrin migraine.

With the sleeve it is not recommended to use anything for pain relief except Tylenol. You can us Migraine but have to take something to coat your sleeve first.....We don't want ulcers or a leak.......

I took Excedrin Migraine tabs 3-4 times a week before the sleeve for sinus headaches. I would take it once a day during allergy season. It was the only thing that would work on my intense cluster headaches. Back in the day, I would take Orudus for migraine pain. They pulled it off the market because it caused stomach bleeding and ulcers. I went through withdrawal from the Excedrin during my first week post op. I had forgotten how much caffiene was in Excedrin.

I've only taken a half of a dose of Excedrin since surgery and it did give me mild stomach pain. I would be careful because it contains aspirin and caffeine, which is not recommended for post op patients.

OH!! That's right!!! I am so stupid! Disregard my earlier post. Baby that sleeve, and follow Dr's orders. (banging my head on the wall right now.........I am so sorry I made that stupid suggestion!)

No matter what else you do, keep sipping. Nag yourself over it, I have to. I am terrible at getting enough in. I must always be drinking because I live in a dry house with little humidity and I think it is drying me out even faster than normal. This time of year there is little humidity in most parts of the countries houses, and I think we forget about that. Keep sipping!

Hi all, I sit here in the dark, which Is helping some I guess, but I woke up this morning with a headache that crushed me. Im not a Migraine person so it not likely to start now at age 43. But this brought me low, to the point I cried like a baby for it to stop. Im only 5 days out post op and I took some liquid Tylenol to help with the headache. it has helped and ive taken in 10 ounces of Vitamin Water in the past 3 hours as well. Im wondering, I thought I was getting in enough water 48 two days ago and 51 ounces yesterday, along with 69 grams of Protein, but has anyone had a massive headache that was dehydration. Another one of these and its off to the er or er clinic perhaps.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had the worst headache pre op and post op. I was so depressed. I was told it was a no carbs headache. Do some research on line. No carbs is a big deal. It took about 7 days after the surgery for the headache to go away. It was so bad my doctor sent me foe an MRI. I never had headaches like that before. You know your body, if something does not feel right go to the doctor. Trust how you feel.

Protip: Crying like a baby just makes headaches worse. In fact, crying like a baby commonly causes headaches.

I, too, had bad headaches for the first few days after surgery. At the time I thought it was caused by my anti nausea drug so I switched to something different on day 5 and the headaches seemed to go away.

With the sleeve it is not recommended to use anything for pain relief except Tylenol. You can us Migraine but have to take something to coat your sleeve first.....We don't want ulcers or a leak.......

Actually it's NSAIDs such as aspirin, Celebrex, Motrin, Indocin, Toradol, Aleve, and Naprosyn that are no-no's. Benedryl is perfectly okay to use.

@@Stevehud - It sounds like you are getting enough fluids in, it may just be a reaction to the surgery and your body adjusting. If you can make it through today, touch base with your medical team in the morning and see what they think.

Well thank you all for your help. y wife went an got me some liquid Tylenol which helped, im almost afraid to go to bed for fear of getting one of these headaches again. but cant do that forever I will contact my medical team in the morning. and looks like two of my incisions aren't looking great no fever though or oozing or pus, but still need to be looked at.

One thing goes good then something has to go bad. but lets see.

gnight all.

Love you all, we are gonna win at losing!

Edited by Stevehud

The one where the drain is placed is usually the longest to heal. Mine got uglier before it got better. The nurse said as long as it wasn't oozing pus or bleeding heavily that was fine