Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does this work long term? How do you maintain?

Okay, I am a little over 6 months out. So far so good. I'm eating better, working out and making steady progress.

I'm now healed up and I can physically handle any type of food. Also, my capacity has stabilized at about 8 oz or so. I am targeting 1,500 to 1,600 calories a day with 100g or less of carbs.

My sense is that the surgery did most of its work in the first couple months and it is now on me. I still get full much faster than I used to pre-surgery, but I think that if I eat the wrong things I could gain weight at this point.

So, my question is, how do you maintain the momentum? In the past I have always slipped into bad habits an put weight back on. The underlying food addiction is still there. It is lessened. I don't crave so hard. Also the restriction should keep helping. However, I am worried that I could slip back.

What are the keys? How do you maintain the new lifestyle?

I have a vague idea that once I hit a good healthy weight I will dial in a calorie target and then adhere pretty much forever. Maybe I won't log everything every day like I do now, but then again maybe I will have to.

I don't know. I could use some insight.

You are exactly where I am at. I had surgery June 17th. I am almost at goal so am happy with my success so far. BUT I am worried as I seem to be able to eat anything now. That is not necessarily a good thing.... ????. I am afraid my old ways will come back with a vengeance! I have a very limited capacity for food intake, so that is helpful but will that eventually be an advantage that will also dissipate? I continue to limit my carbs big time.... But not sure I can hold out with that new lifestyle. I sure couldn't before I had the surgery. I love the way I look now and don't ever want to go back to my 'old look!' I wonder as you do... Do I need to count calories, eliminate carbs, or what to maintain my weight now?

Have you replaced or added any new and healthier habits? Are you working out regularly? Have you considered counseling for your food addiction? I would think those things are key.

I recently reached goal and have been stressing over maintenance. I lost over 100 pounds (on the Atkins diet) about 15 years ago and then proceeded to regain all I lost plus a little more. Not only that, I have had some physical problems in the past few months that keep me from exercising. I've been reading everything I can find about how to do maintenance. This time I intend to be successful over the long term.

My reading has led me to believe that continuing to measure and log my food and eat Protein first are important components of maintenance. I'm hoping that doing this will keep me on track. I'm still in weight loss mode, but when I reach maintenance, I expect it to look very much like weight loss mode, just with more calories.

You might want to take a look at the National Weight Control Registry research.

Here's a page to start on, with some links to many studies that have been done with people who have not only lost weight (through various means, including weight loss surgery), but have maintained their weight loss.

http://www.nwcr.ws/research/

You are exactly where I am at. I had surgery June 17th. I am almost at goal so am happy with my success so far. BUT I am worried as I seem to be able to eat anything now. That is not necessarily a good thing.... ????. I am afraid my old ways will come back with a vengeance! I have a very limited capacity for food intake, so that is helpful but will that eventually be an advantage that will also dissipate? I continue to limit my carbs big time.... But not sure I can hold out with that new lifestyle. I sure couldn't before I had the surgery. I love the way I look now and don't ever want to go back to my 'old look!' I wonder as you do... Do I need to count calories, eliminate carbs, or what to maintain my weight now?

I'm still in weight loss mode, but when I reach maintenance, I expect it to look very much like weight loss mode, just with more calories.

Exactly. It has to be a long term lifestyle change, right? The sleeve was a great tool, but its effectiveness diminishes. It eventually comes back to us, the same us that previously got fat over and over again.

I am also thinking I will be logging and counting forever.

1500-1600 calories is a lot! Is that what your Dr recommended?

Yes, but guys have an advantage there.

In my pre sleeve days I was able to to loose successfully by slowly making lifestyle changes. Foe example I haven't had a soda in over 4 years so that was one less change to make. I stopped using bottled salad dressings so I can still eat a salad now albeit a smaller one than I used to make. I was used to drinking Water so that's been less of a challenge. I started making myself eat on a regular basis and stopped skipping Breakfast and I was taking a multi-Vitamin. Now that I am not getting sick as much with the aid of the sleeve, I am hopeful that I can continue losing and experience another set back because of illness.

Do I need to count calories, eliminate carbs, or what to maintain my weight now?

I keep a food diary at Myfitnesspal. It's not for everyone but it works for me. For me the key is not to fret over calories but to look at the macros. I don't do l no carb. I limit white, processed carbs such as refined sugars, pastas and rice. I do indulge in carbs from Beans & vegetables. I watch my fats and again, try to make sure that my fats are coming from healthy sources. Same with my sodium and sugars. Does this mean I never have a plate of spaghetti again? No, it just means that it's a dish I have occasionally instead of regularly. Additionally for me as a person who has suffered with severe food allergies a food diary helps me track potential allergy triggers.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I agree, I don't want to count calories so much as I just want to keep track of the carbs, Proteins, etc. My fitness pal is great for that. I expect that using this type of tracking method will be a part of my lifestyle forever. I will also weigh daily. Funny, but for me that works. If I am up even .4 lbs I know I need to be a little more diligent that day. Much easier to get off .4 then it is to get off 4!

You might want to take a look at the National Weight Control Registry research.

Here's a page to start on, with some links to many studies that have been done with people who have not only lost weight (through various means, including weight loss surgery), but have maintained their weight loss.

http://www.nwcr.ws/research/

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

In my pre sleeve days I was able to to loose successfully by slowly making lifestyle changes. Foe example I haven't had a soda in over 4 years so that was one less change to make. I stopped using bottled salad dressings so I can still eat a salad now albeit a smaller one than I used to make. I was used to drinking Water so that's been less of a challenge. I started making myself eat on a regular basis and stopped skipping Breakfast and I was taking a multi-Vitamin. Now that I am not getting sick as much with the aid of the sleeve, I am hopeful that I can continue losing and experience another set back because of illness.

I keep a food diary at Myfitnesspal. It's not for everyone but it works for me. For me the key is not to fret over calories but to look at the macros. I don't do l no carb. I limit white, processed carbs such as refined sugars, pastas and rice. I do indulge in carbs from Beans & vegetables. I watch my fats and again, try to make sure that my fats are coming from healthy sources. Same with my sodium and sugars. Does this mean I never have a plate of spaghetti again? No, it just means that it's a dish I have occasionally instead of regularly. Additionally for me as a person who has suffered with severe food allergies a food diary helps me track potential allergy triggers.

At what point did you start eating salad after your sleeve? I've been wanting to incorporate salad back into my diet but I am so afraid of uncooked veggies. I find veggies that have not been in the very least blanched, don't sit well. :(

I just passed the 5 month mark. Every time I think about eating "lettuce", even baby spinach, my poor pouch starts telling at me to eat only steamed or cooked veggies. Lol

I am a trained cook so I can get very creative but I would love a small salad once in a while.

I'm 12 weeks post op and just tried some lettuce last night. I had no issues with it. I didn't eat much though.