Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going in Tuesday morning for panni- what do I take?

I'm having a panniculectomy and belly button fix Tuesday morning. It'll be out-patient so I will leave in the late afternoon ang go back early the next morning to have the catheter removed and for the surgeon to check the drains.

What do I bring to wear? Sports bra or hook bra? Night gown or sweats? Will I be able to put on underpants or do I just skip it?

Thanks for your advice!

I had an abdominoplasty, which is similar to the panniculectomy. My catheter was removed before I left thank goodness and those drains are such a pain in the butt. I didn't really need anything as mine was also an outpatient procedure. I also had my boobs done, so not sure if there is an issue with a bra if you only have the stomach portion fixed. I would wear a sports bra, just because for me it's way more comfortable. I also always wear sweats, a t-shirt or tank top, and then a zip up warm sweater over top, just because it's easier to get into after surgery, and for some reason I'm always cold after surgery.

As for the underwear, this is a trick. I didn't wear them coming home because it was just one more thing to annoy me and to try to get into and you're all wrapped up in gauze anyway. If you do want to wear them though, it won't hurt either way.

They put the drains in a position where two of them come out of your mons area and they stitch a little piece of skin to a knot around the drain tube so it doesn't fall out. That stupid suture annoyed me more than anything else. I resolved the issue by cutting my suture and using tape and gauze to keep the drain tubes in place. It hurt MUCH less and it worked just as well. I wore a compression garment that had straps that went over my shoulders- it looks like a jazzercise suit with zippers up the side and runs from your knees like bike shorts to just below your rib cage. I slid the drains out the pee-hole (because that is totally worthless to pee out of, you just have to take it all off) and then I wore a pair of tight shorts over top of the compression garment which kept my tubes nicely in place and prevented them from swaying around at all. During my first time with drains I wore them in a necklace around my neck, the second time I just tucked them into my shorts and that worked fine. Also, good trick, if you don't want to cut the sutures like I did and be creative with gauze and tape, at least slide a piece of gauze under the tube where the stitch is so that there is a separation between your skin and the suture attached to the tube and then tape it in place. I swear, that tiny sticking and pulling of the suture when you have drains is worse than the stomach part and the gauze between the suture and your skin is a nice way to make it more comfy.

So, after surgery you will be able to dress yourself into any loose clothing you want. You are not only massively doped up on pain drugs but you're largely oblivious to the world, so basic functions like getting dressed you sort of do on autopilot, like a clutzy two year old. They also help you so you don't trip over a pant leg and fall on your face. So, whatever is most comfortable and loose for you is the best idea. Also, wear dark clothes, sometimes you ooze goo for a few hours afterard.

Good luck!

Thanks for your open honesty. I will have a panni by summer and was wondering how the recovery was. That is one thing I appreciate about this forum above all else; this is the place to go for the plain honest truth. I know we tried to be as gentle and as sensitive as we can, but we need the truth nevertheless.

Isn't denial the greatest coping mechanism!? I have a feeling if I could really see myself post-op, I'd chicken out!!

Thank you for the advice! I've had a c-section and a massive reconstructive surgery to my hip, but I was in the hospital with those for days!

Wish me luck. I dropped off my prescriptions today!