Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight starting at week 4!

I had my sleeve on November 18, 2014. I had been losing weight a little slow, which was a little discouraging, but since week 4 post op, I have gained 3 pounds! I have been getting in 60 - 80g of Protein, but not the 64oz of Water. I also have not done a lot of extra walking yet. But still, I eat like a very small child, and healthy...no junk! I've even been keeping track of the points, like for Weight Watchers, and I eat between 24 & 27 points...that's what a person that weighs 150 pounds. I am no where near that weight. So how in the world could I be gaining weight? It's very upsetting! Anyone experience this? And any advise?

You said it ... Water.

When you're dehydrated, your body will hold on to all the Water, and the scale will stick.

It also sets up a dangerous situation for your kidneys: When your body is breaking down so much fat and trying to excrete waste products, not drinking enough water means your kidneys are dealing with high concentrations of urine without the water to dilute those waste products.

You have GOT to change your water-drinking habits. This far post-op you have no good excuses for not doing so. Drinking 8 full glasses of water EVERY day will turn you from a so-so, stalled WLS patient to someone who's back on track.

Just do it. You'll be so happy you did.

Thank you VSGAnn2014. I have a new goal...at least 64oz Water a day.

how many calories a day are you eating? What's a typical eating day like for you?

I don't keep track of calories. I eat 6 times a day. Proteins I eat: egg substitute, small chicken breasts, occasional egg, fat-free cottage cheese, reduced fat cheddar cheese, shrimp, scallops, Beans, shaved deli turkey/ham, and small pieces of fish. I don't get many veggies in, but have eaten a little: green lettuce leaves, green peas, green Beans, and cauliflower. I drink 2 -3 cups of Decaf coffee with fat-free, sugar-free Creamer a day. Occasionally I will use regular creamer. I don't use sugar for anything, just Splenda. Once in a while I will eat instant cheesy grits with baby food meat.

Did you nutritionist suggest the 6 small meals? Can you give me a typical days menu? I wouldn't use the WW's point system as a guide. Bariatric diets are set up differently. Typically they are designed as low cal/ high Protein. I'm 3 mths our and the nut still wants me under 800 calories. I can eat whatever I can tolerate but I have to get in my Water & protein

Edited by BLERDgirl

I got on the scale this morning and also had a gain! 2 pounds since yesterday... not sure what I did differently...but thank you for posting this because I am following too for advice. So far, I'm taking away that I need to get in more Water. Honestly, I just feel barely any thirst so this has been difficult. Hope we get our scales going in the right direction soon Blerdgirl!

I got curious as to how many calories equate to a Weight Watchers "point." Online, I found estimates of 50 calories per WW point. (And of course, we all know there are other foods that don't have ANY WW points attached to them.)

So I'm guesstimating you're eating at least 1300 - 1500 calories a day.

In my humble opinion, that's WAY too much to be eating 4 weeks post-op if you're serious about losing weight. Frankly, I don't even understand how you could get that much food inside a not-yet-healed new tummy. Geez!

FYI, I ate about 800 calories most of the first four months post-op.

Some food for thought. ;)

Edited by VSGAnn2014

No way am I eating that many calories a day! I have never heard, in the many years I had been in Weight Watchers, that a point equals 50 calories.

And I take offense to your "humble opinion"! Where you got that I eat WAY too much for my not-yet-healed new tummy is beyond me!

Debbieduck4, since my post, I increased my Water intake and lost the weight I gained plus more, so try that for yourself and I bet you will have the same outcome. Good luck! We can do it!

No way am I eating that many calories a day! I have never heard, in the many years I had been in Weight Watchers, that a point equals 50 calories.

And I take offense to your "humble opinion"! Where you got that I eat WAY too much for my not-yet-healed new tummy is beyond me!

Sorry to offend you. But that's good you're losing again.

BTW, here's the source re 50 calories per WW point:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/309848-how-many-calories-does-a-point-equal-in-weight-watchers/

Be mad at multiplication, not me. ;)

27 points X 50 calories = 1,350 calories

Edited by VSGAnn2014

She got it from doing some quick math - figuring out the number of points from the foods you are eating and the sheer volume of food it would take from the choices you listed.

I came to the same conclusion when I saw your posts.

It's your body, your life, etc. but she wasn't the only person who went "Whoa!" when she saw what you listed and did some quick calculations.

If it's working for you and your doctor is on board, good for you and all the best, but if that is really the volume and calories you are eating, it's quite a bit for this stage.

You might still want to just input what you are eating into a regular food calculator like Myfitnesspal or Sparkspeople just to get a caloric count.

When I saw my surgeon 4 weeks post op his recommendation was 500 calories a day give or take with never more than a thousand. I personally range between 450 and 550. I have no difficulty getting my fluids in as I have always been a heavy drinker :-). I gave up coffee prior to surgery because caffeine is dehydrating and couldn't stand the taste of it for the first few weeks. Ended up at Starbucks and had a Cup and it was nirvana so will allow myself an occasional treat but not at home. I love constant comment tea and the Decaf, unlike decaf coffee, doesn't taste any different to me. But I have to drink so slowly that I am constantly reheating the same cup about 3 times. I have a cupboard full of insulated mugs but I am attached to my favorite cup. Guess I'm burning a few extra calories every time I have to get up and head to the kitchen to reheat it.

Anyway, I hit the dreaded 3 weeks stall and freaked out until I read about it here. Yesterday, I gained a pound and then another pound today. If it weren't for this site I would probably be driving my doctors nurse crazy. I have learned so much and it is keeping me grounded. I know I am meeting my Protein and Water requirements and keeping my calories down so as my surgeon said... You WILL lose weight. You can't NOT. So maybe it's not coming off as fast as I would like but I didn't get here overnight and I am slowly learning to trust in my sleeve. I hope that in time I can offer as much support to others as you all have to me so far

Edited by kimmeesue