Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is eating fruit okay?

I am having major issues with acid re flux. I'm taking an acid pill but still have issues. Today I had a few bites of a Mickey D's cheese burger and regretted it majorly afterwards.

I've found that oatmeal is really easy for me to eat and it goes down well. i still get in 4 Atkins shakes everyday. I sometimes get oatmeal from McDonald's. I figure it can't be that bad as I need the calories.

I've starting eating grapes, pineapple and melon. No acid and it goes down smooth.

I'm drinking Water and sobe. sugar free of course.

I'm getting plenty of exercise.

Any food ideas would be awesome.

My doctor approved fruit but just warned against any with seeds like strawberries which might irritate.

Most mornings I have either a scrambled egg (or eggbeaters) with a scoop of sausage cooked into it and a small amount of cheddar cheese on top. It's a good Protein rich Breakfast. If I'm in a hurry, I have a hot chocolate with a scoop of GENEPRO Protein powder.

I eat beef Jerky as a snack. I don't need to drink as many Protein shakes if I have some beef Jerky. And it's delicious.

My surgeon told me "NO" on fruit. It has too much natural sugar and really doesn't give you anything valuable. She said I can't even add them to my Protein Shakes.< /p>

My surgeon told me "NO" on fruit. It has too much natural sugar and really doesn't give you anything valuable. She said I can't even add them to my Protein shakes.

What? Fruit doesn't give you anything valuable? Perhaps canned fruit, but whole fruit gives you Fiber and Vitamins. In fact some even have a tiny bit of Protein in them. For example half of a navel orange even has 1 gm of protein. You just have to be aware of the sugar content. Fruits like apple and bananas tend to be really dense with sugar so yes you have to exercise caution.

My doctor allowed me to have fruit have fruit once I got to the soft food stage. I typically have it on gym days or high activity days when I know I can burn off the sugar.

To the OP: I would recommend staying away from the fast food. That McD's burger is barely meat and really not good for you. Oatmeal is allowed but McD's is not the best quality and full of added sodium and sugar. Buy plain rolled oats and make your own. I use the RTD shakes instead of milk for an added protein punch. As for the fruit. Keep in mind a serving of grapes is 10 grapes. No more than ¼ cup of pineapple because it's high in sugar. Melons are mostly Water so I would go for ½ cup. Just make sure your nutritionist is aware you're adding these things.

Try taking your ant-acid med first thing in the morning. I try to start my day with a glass of Water so I take 20mgs of omeprazole then. I tend to get acid in the afternoon/evening so I take another 20 around 3 or 4 pm.

Edited by BLERDgirl

My plan allows for one serving or 1/2 cup of fruit per day. One of the Breakfast recommendations for breakfast is 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup crushed pineapple. If I am constipated I will eat an apple, skin and all (1 year out). I do put 1/3 banana or berries in a shake, but I only have a couple of shakes a week......the rest of my Protein comes from real food.

I'm allowed one serving of fruit a day. 1/2 banana is a serving according to my plan. I don't always eat fruit but sometimes I'll put a banana of strawberries in my Protein Shake.

On top of what people are saying with half a banana mines said a couple cubes of melon Is ok (cantaloupe and honeydew)

I added fruit to my Protein smoothie from the very beginning...gave me better energy. Started with 1/2 banana or peaches or mangos. After 3 months I also used strawberries, blueberries, apples, and blackberries. As I got close to goal and wanted to slow my weightloss, I started snacking on more fruits. Frozen pineapple and melon chunks were my favorite summertime snack. And a client just gave me a big box of grapefruit and oranges for Christmas. I will eat the grapefruit, but I peeled and divided the oranges and froze them. They will make a tasty snack all winter!

And like BLERDgirl said, fruits have good Fiber and Vitamins. It's the only form of sugar my surgeon actually approves of.

I ate grapes and they sent me to the emergency room and then in the hospital for a week! I don't want anything that sounds like grape or has the word grape in it!

I ate grapes and they sent me to the emergency room and then in the hospital for a week! I don't want anything that sounds like grape or has the word grape in it!

Can you elaborate please? What happened after you ate the grapes? Who sent you to the emergency room? You were in the hospital for a week to stabilize what condition that was caused by the grapes?

I'm shocked! I would love to hear more!

To the OP-

Like others on here I have been eating moderate amounts of fruit since about three months out.

You mention acid--are you on any medications to reduce the acid? Many of us needed them for the first little while after surgery. I took prescription pantaprozole for two months.

If u you eat fruit don't eat a lot of it I ate mango and because I didn't feel a restriction I ate more that i should off and got very sick afterwards lol

Good luck!!

Hi, pinkbunnies, did you happen to also get by chance a hiatal hernia fix as well with your sleeve for your acid reflux?

I had a hiatal hernia and my doc said a lot of overweight women have, so very common..google it, it also helped me pass to get the surgery, It's causes symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux.

My doc prescribed Pepcid AC berry chewable 2x a day or he also proposed gas x strips I took very often in the first week after surgery. Which have helped me tremendously. I know that when I forget to take my Pepcid AC I'll definitely have the heart burn.

a lot of times at night while I'm in bed... So, maybe this helps? Pepcid AC is really awesome.

vgbranch, on 16 Aug 2015 - 21:19, said:snapback.png

Can you elaborate please? What happened after you ate the grapes? Who sent you to the emergency room? You were in the hospital for a week to stabilize what condition that was caused by the grapes?

I'd love to hear more too - I was eating frozen grapes on day 3 or 4, pureed, and they're my faaaavorite snack if I need an energy boost.

I googled a list of fruits and their serving sizes and sugar content and printed it to hang in my kitchen. All fruits are either 1/2 cup serving or 1 medium (apple etc). I was surprised how much sugar is in grapes. I used to down them like candy thinking it was ok. I think, with moderation, fruit should be included in your healthy diet. I'm still a long way from any food since I am in the liquid diet phase of my program, but doing my homework! Have a nice night! :)

vgbranch, on 16 Aug 2015 - 21:19, said:snapback.png

I'd love to hear more too - I was eating frozen grapes on day 3 or 4, pureed, and they're my faaaavorite snack if I need an energy boost.

I really don't remember to much but the skin off the grapes made me have memory loss and had me in the hospital for a week. That is all I really remember.