Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill and getting yelled at.

This isn't easy to write I hate critisicm, I hate it a lot I get enought of it from my Mother, Yesterday I got my 1st fill not even sure how much but I do know I was able to eat quite a bit for lunch with no restriction so I know it wasn't enough, anyhow. My Dr. asked me what I was eating, what I want kept in mind is for 6 mos I lost 62 pounds before I was banded then I had to do the 4 week liquid diet, followed by 1 week of liquid, 2 weeks mushy, I was invited up to a family get together the day after my mushy phase was over I am down 82lbs, I decide to take a day off, my band at the time of the party is loose with no restriction so I eat healthy but decide to have some muddy buddy chex mix, I made the mistake of mentioning this to my Dr. I was read the riot act, about being a month out of surgery and eating something like that. He is right it was a poor choice, but he yelled at me so bad that his whole staff can hear it, the receptionist even asked me about it. Now I am struggling with feelings of if I can't have a little wiggle room every so often like special occasions and I'm not talking binge eating here, is this something I can even do? Feeling Frustrated.

You need to have a sit down with this moron and remind him that he has no right no matter what, to treat you that way. If that were me, I'd look for another doctor but I understand it's not that easy. Talk to him and let him know that you will not accept behavior like that. I had to do something similar with my dentist. He appologized and we were much better after that.

@@gowalking he is a very highly sought after recommended Dr. and believe me I did bite back a little, I had heard before that sometimes he gets little rough with people, he has had the band himself, he did not apologize but he did try to get on my good side before I left asking me where I lived and telling me he drove by there all the time. He did back down a bit when I told him he sounded like my Mother and I only needed one of those, I can see where he is coming from people have surgery and return to old habits and I probably am not safe yet, but I can't say the experience didn't bother me either.

OK, at least he knew his behavior was problematic. Nothing wrong though with reminding him at another appointment that he won't get the truth from his patients if he yells at them.

There is a big difference between being a straight shooter and being a bully.

Good for you for standing up for yourself.

@@gowalking I was looking at your stats your on the short side like me I'm 4'10 and 3/4 in I'm glad you post them shows it can be accomplished.

Ha ha...someone shorter than me. Yes...I want folks who are considering lapband to see that it's possible. My own PCP told me I'd only lose 40 lbs. with the band now I weigh less than she does. You're doing amazingly well so far. 82 lbs. is quite an accomplishment. I bet you feel much better already and you're not far from onederland either.

As a nurse, I work with jerk doctors every day. Unfortunately some of the biggest jerks are the best docs and some of the really nice ones, I wouldn't let them touch me with a ten foot pole.

It sounds to me like you're doing a great job working your band and losing weight. DEFINITELY treat yourself along the way. I did, and I've almost made goal in one year. I had the occasional treat, drank alcohol, even sipped on 3 or 4 sodas along the way. You'll be fine. If he's a good doc, let it go. If it continues, then I may look for another.

You have done amazing! Consider this, maybe it wasn't so much what you ate, but how soon you ate it? I remember my doc being very strict about when, how much, how soon. Maybe he just wants to see you be successful and not sabotage yourself? The early days help establish your eating behavior, and maximizing the weight loss during the first year. It really stinks when someone is disrespectful - yelling is unacceptable to me, I would tend to shut down, but this is about you. You are the one alone with your band day in and day out, I don't know how you handled this in the room, but you certainly have every right to protest when anyone disrespect you or belittles you. Chin up, try not to dwell on it, and keep on doing the awesome job!

@@Kitt3000 Thank you Kit that probably was the problem, @@Leepers he is a good Dr. and I'm going to give him a pass he is only 13 miles from me so I'd hate to have to drive further, Kitt it was also the sugar he basically wants me on Atkins type diet and I knew he wanted me on high Protein but thought it was mainly about Portion Control, I am going to try from here on out to refrain from any sugar until my habits are better established. The problem for me really was the yelling, but everyone that goes there says he is pretty caring, I even have his cell number and can call him personally he's even met people places whose called him and told them they were feeling like binging. I was just frustrated, when I wrote this, not just at him but also myself.

@@gowalking when I started this I could barely walk across the floor, and even had to stay home a week alone cause my whole family went to NY without me kids and all and I couldn't go because I knew there would be too much walking for me to handle, Next time I'll be ready.

You are on the right track! It's pretty amazing, once your band is properly adjusted (on your way!), you will understand what he means about the protien. Fish, meats, poultry, pork- all of those choices for me, engages the band and I feel very full- satisfied for hours. It really helps put and end to the constant food thoughts. The Portion Control will take care of itself. Happy holidays and it actually sounds like you have a pretty good doc ????

@@gowalking when I started this I could barely walk across the floor, and even had to stay home a week alone cause my whole family went to NY without me kids and all and I couldn't go because I knew there would be too much walking for me to handle, Next time I'll be ready.

Yes you will. And when you do whatever it is that you wouldn't have been able to before, the sense of accomplishment will be overwhelming. Good things are coming your way and I'm thrilled for you.

Between my first fill of 4cc's 4 weeks after surgery, and my second fill 4 weeks after that, I GAINED WEIGHT!

I was a little trepidated going in for my 2nd visit.

Know What?

My Dr. laughed at me....explained to me how the band worked, and why I had to come in for adjustments every 4 weeks.

He also explained what his post op treatment plan is, and what his expectations - Positive Outcomes, were for me....

It took 4-5 months and a few fills, but we finally got there! And still there today 4 years later.

I read posts here all the time about what Dr.'s tell their patients, and I have to scratch my head in wonder.

Do they (and us) forget WHY we elected to have this surgery, in the first place? I mean, there was a reason and for me anyway, it had to do with uncontrollable eating and appetite (hunger) And surgery was the last resort because nothing else I tried worked.

Edited by B-52

Bullies suck. Hope your message got through to him.

First off , congratulations on your weight liss ! You should be very proud of yourself ! And secondly, if you have that Dr.s personal phone number, call him up !!! Just make sure you call him a complete ASS !! He had NO right to yell at you because you made an honest mistake. Poor eating habits dont change overnight, it takes time ! There isnt a person on this forum who probably didn't cheat before or after surgery. SO WHAT ! Tell him next time he yells at you , the building had better be on fire !!!