Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flabby Arm skin/Plastic surgery

Hi I'm 47 and before surgery my arms are and have been very flabby, they HANG and wiggle already.... i'm not in 20's so skin not gonna snap back..elasticity is GONE! lol

Weights are very good for toning but the issues with my arms have been in existence for entirely too long and that is not going to help at this point with all the extra flab I have they hang at least 1 1/2 inch and wiggle, wiggle, so I know it's only going to get worse when I have the surgery on 12/23 and lose weight. I'm already prepared for that. :-(

I think my only option will be surgery. Does anyone know what the rules are for your insurance to approve? Or is it very different for every company? I know some people say insurance will cover 1 surgery after a bariatric procedure? Anyone have any info on this at all?

I have not heard of insurance covering brachioplasty. I only have heard of them cover plastics for hanging belly skin when it causes rashes or otherwise interferes with normal functions like walking/running. I have always understood arms, breast, etc to be cosmetic and therefore elective which is insurance speak for not covered. If anyone knows otherwise please share. I would love some free plastics!

Insurance will only pay for medically necessary procedures to reduce infections, mobility, ADL's, pain etc.....

Darn, well that answers that. Thanks

I paid for mine, and it was worth every penny.

@@MichiganChic

Was the surgery painful? how about scars? what kind of cost was incurred? Did they do it in combo with any other surgery. I am 49 and I alway thought my stomach was going to be the most icky of the skin... Turns out my arms/armpits and my face seem to have taken the most damage.

It was painful for me, but only because I had so much swelling. I also had my abdominoplasty and butt lift with autologous fat flap at the same time. That was all pretty painful, too. But now my arms and belly look great, way better than I would have expected. The scars are still red and a little raised, but it's only been 4 months. If they don't lighten and flatten, I'll have them treated with a laser. I would absolutely do it all again!

I also want my arms done. Same boat 47yrs old and they are not going to bounce back, Doesn't help that all the styles these days are sleeveless. How noticeable are the scars under the arm?

How long have you been at goal? I am 45 and lost 135lbs and the skin was AWFUL under the arms at first, but is about 60-70% better now and I have only been at goal about 3 months. It can get better. I am still thinking surgery but feeling like it will be much less extensive now and am waiting the full six months from goal before a consult.

I have a friend who had her arms done. If you look under her arms you can definitely see the scars, BUT if you aren't looking for them they are easy to overlook.