Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What "musts"should I purchases pre op?

@@Kindle - I understand that. What I'm trying to say is in a post where people are asking for general info about things to have on hand post-op, a NSAID might not be something another WLS patient could advise another to have. If you've discussed it with your doctor and they okay it that's an entirely different story.

No, I gotcha. The thread had moved towards the use of NSAIDS and I just wanted to illustrate that they aren't necessarily banned for life. And that steroids are just as potentially damaging. Each case is different and believe me, I would never stray from my doctor's recommendations. When my PCP Rx'd the anti inflammatories, I touched base with my surgeon before taking them. As should everyone else.

Ironically, after years of taking them, my PCP had a severe reaction to NSAIDS (like anaphylactic shock....rush to his own ER kind of reaction). He truly, cannot ever take NSAIDS again. I've got another friend that the same thing happened to. His heart actually stopped in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Don't buy anything for home post-op and I say this because your taste buds change after surgery. Before surgery I loved the liquid Protein shots. I mixed them with my crystal light, and BOOM I had 42 grams of Protein. Now I cant stand any of them.....so I wasted $125. Good luck finding what works for you!!

I only bought a week's supply so I would have something at home but not so much that if my taste buds changed or I couldn't stomach them I would be out of money.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Ok going shopping tomorrow and want to know what you will have preped and ready at home for the beginning of post op. Also for you post op people things you had or wished you had ready and waiting at home.

@ I use my Blender Bottle every single day. Started with a 12oz to make smoothies and to premix unflavored Protein Powder with a little bit of warpter before mixing it with my broths and Soups. Now I have 2 24oz bottles that are great for making my Protein smoothies that I take to work. Maaloxx was also a nice thing to have around. Even on 40mg omeprazole, the maaloxx eased those "hunger pains" that were actually acid.

Edited by Kindle

Look into Pocket Protein. Thats another good item to have on hand post-op dietary wise. Here's a link for the product: http://pocketprotein.com

My NUT found it in Wegmans Market. I put it in my flavored waters because I not fond of taste. Goes down smooth and doesn't mess with my tummy. I started 1 week post-op.

It looks like one can order a free sample to try it out. A box goes for 14.99 at Wegmans with a Wegmans card.

Good luck and congrats everyone!

Ibuprofen is on my never use again list as well. Check with your dr. All are different. I had no complications with surgery and other than a bit of nausea was up and walking the evening of surgery. Toothbrush, and general things as well as my tablet! I wore jeans home and found very little swelling or soreness bothered me. I was a lucky one and I'm Greatful for my experience. I didn't have issues with gas either. So outside of the nausea I had no problems and do consider myself blessed that gas didn't haunt me.

Wishing you all the best!

As a former medical social worker... Please take this always be kind to nurses and staff... THEY are the ones that take care of you.. The drs just sign off on it..they're the ones that get things done!!! Respect....

Edited by jmscout6

Heating pad, gas x, and biotene. Make sure you have plenty of SF Popsicles at home

Heating pad, gas x, and biotene. Make sure you have plenty of SF Popsicles at home

surgery on the 31st I have all of that on my list :0) ty

Hey Angels - I'm a nurse too. We ALL know nurses who don't give a rat's a** about a pt's care, ignore rules & regs, just go through the motions doing as little as possible. We all know of nurses who'd never dream of lending a helping hand to a PCA, and/or do not L I S T E N to what a patient has to say. They may HEAR the patient, but not truly listen.

I've also been on the receiving end of HORRID nursing care following a radical hysterectomy (due to a very invasive endometrial malignant mass) in Oct 2013. I'll refrain from the details; Suffice to say the lack of good nursing practice (and the resultant documented medical problemS) were addressed. Damn Skippy.

I am most certainly not pointing fingers at every nurse in the world (and THAT would include me!). That is unfair to all nurses worldwide.

SOOO, when someone states they've had a bad experience with a nurse, or nurses, please don't be dismissive. The words of defense posted so very quickly to this forum, it made me wonder if they'd been written from immediate reaction(s), or if they were well thought out responses. It's never too late to be thoughtful.

Let's be nice.

Edited by Mumsicle

I'm so grateful how wonderful the staff at blossom bariatrics is. I've already met my surgical team today. The doctor has given me his cell # incase once I leave to go

Home and there's an issue any doctor can reach him 24-7. my nutritionist set up free Skype meetings with me.. I'm so uber impressed. Oh yea I got to eat a last supper but I chose no carbs but omg 4oz of steak and shrimp rocked. I was set up with Patches of my Vitamins for the first while since they feel it's so important. Also I will be given Vitamin cocktail IV after surgery

Fellow Angels, as I said earlier, there are bad apples (nurses) but dont let it ruin the entire bunch. I work with really great group of girls, nurses, techs and secretaries all together. We do care about our patients, we may not tell them what they want to hear, as in " no, you can't have another dose of dilaudid, phenergan and benadryl two hours early, " I like my patients still breathing. But I guess it is where you work. People dont leave the unit I work in until they retire or move away. Have I heard stories of bad nurses? Yep. Have I heard stories of good nurses? Yep. Thankfully more good than the bad stories. Does it make me feel great for my patients to like me? If it didn't I think I would need a new career. Am I perfect? Not a chance. ...lol..... So just like people there are good and there are bad and the ones in-between. ...

Well I'm sedated and the rooms being Preped ???? now on to post op

@Cococar, that's a shady hospital lol. But i know what u mean. I actually work for a health plan, when they know this, they are at their best behavior. Word of mouth goes a long way.