Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What "musts"should I purchases pre op?

Ok going shopping tomorrow and want to know what you will have preped and ready at home for the beginning of post op. Also for you post op people things you had or wished you had ready and waiting at home.

Honetsly for me it was only two things , gas x tablets ( I found these I needed these for the first 2 weeks after surgery ) & taking my own pj's or comfy pants to the hospital ... There is nothing really that I found I needed to much that wasn't easy to get :) good luck !

Hi! Good luck on your surgery!

Make sure to get broths, or Soup that you can strain and the liquid will still be clear. Water, maybe Water flavorings like Crystal Light or those squeezy bottles that you can put in your water. Different flavors of Protein shakes mix and Liquid Protein. My body is rejecting all forms of Protein so I had to go out and buy even more different flavors and brands to find something my body would tolerate. Still nothing :angry: Gas x. A comfy recliner! I'm a week out and still sleeping in my recliner :( Oh! I had to go out and buy ice trays to make little Popsicles. I froze different flavor lemonades with toothpicks and ate them like popsicles. It was the only way I could get water down the first few days. You could also try suger-free popsicles (but I've heard they cause gas???) and sugar-free Jello.

For the hospital I suggest a pair of comfy pajama pants or shorts. I brought my nook and laptop and a book and never touched them.

More Gas-X strips

liquid Ibuprofen

Many cups of Sonic Ice in the freezer

Broths, Popsicles, Jellos of your choice

Water

Comfortable walking shoes.. because if you don't walk, the gas pain will be the worst part.

A few pairs of fat pants... because for the first few days your abdomen will be both distended and tender.

Thanks! This really helps. I am scheduled for surgery on 12/31 and plan to go but things this weekend. Cutting out sugars and starting pre-op diet of 2 Protein shakes per day plus one healthy meal (lean Protein with veggies). And lots of Water.

All advice is much appreciated!!!!

Popsicle forms to make your own at home Popsicle

and not too much of anything. You will find yourself buying so much more than you need. I still buy like I am eating the old way and throw away more than ever. You literally can not keep up with the left overs. I am 5 months out and anything liquid I can consume 1/2 cup if it has any solid components about 1/4 cup. A can of Soup is about 4 to 5 meals.

I couldn't have anything to drink the first day after surgery. I used biotene mouth spray. it really helped when my mouth was dry. I got it at walgreens. I highly recommend getting it.

The only thing I can add to all the other things people have listed above is, bring your favorite pillow (with a non-white case, to make it easy to spot when you leave) to the hospital. It will make it easier to sleep and you might need it on the drive home.

A heated blanket/pad was my favorite thing the heat made my stomach feel so much better I also think it helped with gas pains!

Oh! And a pair of slip-on shoes !!! It will hurt far too much to bend over and battle with the shoe laces for the first few days.

Bring a pad and pencil and/or pen. Write down every experience, every poop, every meal and drug, and the names of everyone who attended you. Tell them you are a writer and are going to write an article for your small community newsletter. This puts the fear of God into nurses. You will be treated very well.

Someone told me to do this, but of course, I did not listen. The nurses "misplaced" (ran off with) my eyedrops (the same prescription which makes for LONG eyelashes, so I know it was not an innocent mistake). Besides, if all goes perfectly, you might want to write a thank you letter and commend them. If they ask to read the final newsletter, say, "Sure," and then forget.

Wow guys this way great I just brought my phone and opens the app! And got everything ????????????????thank you

I had a really great hospital experience. They provided everything I needed in the hospital. I was started on colace and omeprazole in the hospital. I was given slippers and 2 gowns so I didn't need a robe. I packed my iPad, my phone and the charger. I brought a toothbrush, deodorant and big panties to wear home.

At home I had a variety of Protein shakes, RTD and liquid Protein, probably about a 2 week supply. I also bought yogurts, vegetable broth, herbal tea, almond milk, hummus and Soup.

I use my mortar and pestle to crush my pills.

The hospital arranged for a visiting nurse once I returned home. I made sure I had plenty of comfy clothes and fresh linens on my bed.

As an RN, I can tell you the suggestion above won't put the fear of God into the nurses that care for you, it'll cause them to minimize their interactions with you. Also, unless you have the power to change the information that is already on record, your employment and insurance information are printed on a demographic sheet that is located in the back of your chart or is easily viewed on a computer. Hopefully your procedure is being done in a fantastic and reputable hospital that is staffed with professionals.

My advice: Be kinder than is necessary to people you encounter; be your own advocate, and when something bothers you, speak up for yourself; be honest about your level of pain so that you can be medicated appropriately; follow your post-op instructions to the letter; make sure you are discharged with appropriate medications for pain, nausea, and a PPI (for acid / reflux).

I'm sure you'll do great. Congratulations and good luck on your journey. I hope all goes well for you!