Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just over a month post-op and have begun noticing that I get so sleepy after I eat a solid meal (not shakes).

To the point where I cannot focus on doing much other than wanting to go take a nap. Usually passes within 30-45 minutes, but I find it strange. I know I am not over eating, my portions are pretty small and I don't get to the point where I feel full after meals either. I'm worried of "stretching" I think, so I don't push my limits with filling up my new stomach.

Has anyone else experienced this sleepy feeling after eating??

Only a month out you are still healing young lady. And anything even eating can cause fatigue. Just follow your bodies requirements at this point. It knows best!

I get hot when I eat...It is called food sweats. I hate that.....Don't know how many others get that!?

I agree with RJ. You're still recovering and healing. That takes energy. Don't fight what your body needs (rest).

If a month or so from know you're in the same boat, just take a hard look at what you're eating. If I have something with too many carbs, I want a nap! :)

Town da...how are you doing with this now? I too am having a similar issue but my heart also races.

I am 10 months out and there are times it happens to me still it's weird I can't barely keep my eyes open. Then it passes and I'm good. I don't get it. I don't over stuff myself either and it's not every time I eat.

I'm over a year out and it happens to me sometimes too. I don't understand it either, it's like a food coma but I didn't stuff my face. Weird.

This is depressing! I thought these feeling were supposed to eventually go away :(

Hi guys! I am actually doing so much better with the sleey feeling. I still get it evey so often, but no where near as bad as a few months ago. Ugh, hated that. And RJ, I also experienced the "food Sweats" you mentioned, my frineds and I refer to it as the "meat sweats". HAHA! Aslo not fun, but it doesn't last very long either.

However, I am still dealing with the ever present and annoying Burping as soon as I put something in my mouth. Could just be Water and I instantly start to burp. You guys? Can anyone tell me that this will go away too. :)

Thanks!!

Edited by towanda825

Glad to hear yours has gotten better. I hope mine goes away soon. I can't see if its affected by what I eat in particular. I think its just food in general :(

Glad to hear yours has gotten better. I hope mine goes away soon. I can't see if its affected by what I eat in particular. I think its just food in general :(

Awww, hang in there, it should get better. Yeah, mine wasn't specific to any kind of foods either. Just anything in general put me in a near coma. How long does it last you? Mine was about 20-30 minutes and just happened again last week, actually. Had been 2-3 weeks since the last incident.

~W~

Glad I found this older thread. This happens to me a few times a week. I can't seem to find any cause. The only consistency is it is usually lunch and maybe I've waited a little too long to eat. After I eat all I can think about (and sometimes I give in) is taking a nap. I almost feel drugged or buzzed. That overwhelming sleepiness that you can't fight.

I wonder what causes this? I'll ask my doctor next month!

If your doctor has any insight please share! Mine didnt seem worried about it and didn't offer any info either. It really feels like I have eaten an entire thanksgiving feast and i need to nap!!!

It went away for awhile but its starting to occur again. Now I have noticed it happens more when I dont measure my food and eat things that are a little more carb dense.

I also get food sweats after eating!

And I don't feel tired but I start these intense yawning episodes around 3 pm that I can't control!

Sometimes I think it's because I haven't had enough Protein, but who knows. I get plenty of sleep at night..

If your doctor has any insight please share! Mine didnt seem worried about it and didn't offer any info either. It really feels like I have eaten an entire thanksgiving feast and i need to nap!!!

It went away for awhile but its starting to occur again. Now I have noticed it happens more when I dont measure my food and eat things that are a little more carb dense.

My doctor had the same reaction. He didn't seem concerned. Sigh. Oh well. It's a small price to pay, I guess!