Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is everyone crazy? Lol

I had surgery last Wednesday and I wished I never did it, my wife had hers on December 1, and she wished she never did it, I'm guessing it's the emotional stress from not eating what we crave, or its the realization we did this not as a short term thing but that it's forever. We are both depressed. Not sure if anyone else has felt this way?

I am sorry you both are feeling so bad! I am guessing it is the emotion as well as the stage you both are in. I think you need to give it some time and remember why you both did this in the first place. Be patient with each other and your new tummies. I am guessing you might be grieving your old life a little. I do know it will get better but it will not be the same as it was. I am guessing you both knew that going into this process. Just take one day at a time and try to stay positive. As you begin to feel better and make progress, you will see that we are not crazy! LOL

Good luck!

I agree with the above statement it is normal to have these feelings but as you and your wife both know making this decision was not a easy one but a nec edit to ensure your life, getting healthy is a challenge and you are both so worth it, stay focus and take one day at time before you know it you will been joking life again good luck ,

I had surgery last Wednesday and I wished I never did it, my wife had hers on December 1, and she wished she never did it, I'm guessing it's the emotional stress from not eating what we crave, or its the realization we did this not as a short term thing but that it's forever. We are both depressed. Not sure if anyone else has felt this way?

what your going thru is normal! did you both go thru the psychological classes preop? in mine they talked ALOT on this issue. Its your head hunger your having the withdraws. the body has been totally reliant on you acting on this dopamine for the body to feel good! an now that your not giving the brain what its craving its causing these emotional responses. I went thru this for a month. I cried here an there I got bitchy etc...it will pass!! hang in there. I was saying an thinking the exact thing the first few wks!! its also affecting your seratonin levels which these dips cause depression. you hit the nail on the head! its also realizing what you have actually put your body thru. the realization has set in. the body has to adjust. how are you doing on your Protein intake? Water? do the best you can. I made the comment many of times my first few wks.."WHAT THE HELL HAVE I DONE?"

I hope you both will feel different once you start to heal and feel better. I am only four months out and have lost 80 pounds.... Feeling fantastic. The only thing I regret about having bypass is I didn't do it sooner. Most of my body aches are gone, back and feet and I can walk without getting out of breath and have tons of energy. Please don't give up, we are all here for you. It is a huge life changing decision. You can't go back.

I haven't had my surgery yet but I have had major surgery. Anesthesia can cause depression symptoms. All of those chemicals mess with your chemistry a bit. I have confidence that you'll be okay and will be feeling better soon. Hang in there, depression is no fun. If you get worried, go see your doc and don't be afraid to ask for help!

Thank you all for the amazing replies, all of you have helped greatly in easing our mind! My wife is down 47 pounds and I am down 38 pounds, definitely something to be happy and proud of so far! Thanks again everyone that responded!

I felt the exact same way. I'm 2 months post surgery and still have some regrets. My relationship with food is now totally different. I never expected this. I now eat to survive....for pure nutrition. For me, there is no pleasure in eating anymore. I am sick to my stomach 95% of the time after every meal. I eat only about 1/4 of a cup, chew 25-30 Times and make meals last 20-30 minutes the majority of the time. I make every effort to not eat anything processed and stay away from empty calorie foods. So if I'm doing something to cause the nausea I don't know what it is. I am down 46 pounds, which is great!! I just hope the nausea isn't my new normal. I am to the point I'm glad I had the surgery, I just have to get to really know this new me.

Wow, this post really struck home for me. I am only five days out, and the head hunger really messed with me today. I am still sore, it takes me forever to get my shakes and Water in (but I am doing it), and I have no energy. I am soooo tired of liquids! Me arse hurts from sitting, my fibromyalgia is kicking in hard, and though I walk at least 30-45 min a day,I am both in pain, and bored out of my mind.... all of this makes for a perfect storm of "why the hell did I do this". I read all the posts, and I see that it does eventually pass, but man alive, the time is just slowly ticking by, and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet, so it doesn't seem real to me that in time I will feel better. Jeez, after reading this, I am having a serious pitty party for myself....lol.