Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in Swell Hell, and other musings from recent plastics

So I thought I'd come back here for more "musing", AKA whining, lol! I had a seroma in both legs that wouldn't respond to typical treatment of needle aspiration, and had them excised today. I feel a little like I'm back to ground zero. It was an office procedure, and quite painful. Too bad, too, because those scars on my legs had healed beautifully. I hope the new incisions heal as well!

@@BethinPA you are right about the number on the scale. I'm about over it. Almost. Maybe. :)

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that! I am praying that I don't ever develop any complications. Could the seromas have contributed to the prolonged swelling that you experienced?

They probably have contributed to it some, at least for my lower legs. But my abdomen and back are swollen the most, and that surgery was 5 months ago. I hope you don't have these issues, either. You probably won't.

Even with this, so far, I'd still do it again. This stuff is minor in the grand scheme of things. My legs are far less painful today, so I'm just hoping this is the end of it. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you! I did have the sewing of the abs - I've been calling abdominoplasty. And it really hurts. Mine were separated pretty wide, probably from pregnancy, she said. I'm sure morbid obesity didn't help any!

Why are you not going to have that done?

I skipped the abdominal plication because I felt like I had decent strength in my abs to support myself/posture and I didn't want to be held together with stitches and then scar tissue.

It was a very personal choice and my surgeon told me in all his years he'd only done one paniculectomy without the ab plication before. I chuckled and told him I'd always been an outlier.

I am thrilled beyond belief with my results. My stomach has never been this flat. At 5.5 weeks out the incisions are still pink but they're fading and the lines are so tiny/thin -once they're faded to skin-tone they'll all but disappear.

If I wanted to nit-pick, my left hip isn't as smooth a silhouette as my right but it's probably more from the alignment of my existing stretchmarks than anything else.

I skipped the abdominal plication because I felt like I had decent strength in my abs to support myself/posture and I didn't want to be held together with stitches and then scar tissue.

It was a very personal choice and my surgeon told me in all his years he'd only done one paniculectomy without the ab plication before. I chuckled and told him I'd always been an outlier.

I am thrilled beyond belief with my results. My stomach has never been this flat. At 5.5 weeks out the incisions are still pink but they're fading and the lines are so tiny/thin -once they're faded to skin-tone they'll all but disappear.

If I wanted to nit-pick, my left hip isn't as smooth a silhouette as my right but it's probably more from the alignment of my existing stretchmarks than anything else.

That's so great that you are happy with your results! I was surprised my muscles were separated - I already had a super flat belly, minus the extra skin on my lower belly. It's been 5 months and I'm still sore.

Your comment about nit-picking struck home with me - I always have to remind myself not to! Another thing I'm learning is that even with all that plastic surgery, most of us will never have perfect bodies. It's all about realistic expectations and remembering we were far from perfect before. Not sure why, but I don't think I had an expectation of perfect, but I'm almost more critical of my body than I was before.

Happy to hear all sides of plastics here. Thanks for all the practical advice. I'm gonna need it in march

My youngest son is getting married at the end of May. Hoping to have some results by 3 months out. ???

Sounds like we all do differently with these procedures

The first couple of weeks I actually looked heavier. I wasn't prepared for that at all. But after the first 6-8 weeks, I was looking pretty good. By three months, my belly and arms looked great.

Happy to hear all sides of plastics here. Thanks for all the practical advice. I'm gonna need it in march
My youngest son is getting married at the end of May. Hoping to have some results by 3 months out. ???
Sounds like we all do differently with these procedures

They probably have contributed to it some, at least for my lower legs. But my abdomen and back are swollen the most, and that surgery was 5 months ago. I hope you don't have these issues, either. You probably won't.

Even with this, so far, I'd still do it again. This stuff is minor in the grand scheme of things. My legs are far less painful today, so I'm just hoping this is the end of it. I'll keep you posted.

I don't know if I jinxed myself! Thursday the surgeon removed my stitches, and yesterday I was 3 weeks out from my surgery. Yesterday I went out to lunch with friends and then had a game night at my house afterwards. My incision opened up after lunch just above the gluteal fold, and by the time everyone left last night, I truly thought I was going to explode from the swelling. I don't know how I'm going to be able to work for 8 hours on Monday! How do people work and continue to heal with all his swelling? I'm worried.

I don't know if I jinxed myself! Thursday the surgeon removed my stitches, and yesterday I was 3 weeks out from my surgery. Yesterday I went out to lunch with friends and then had a game night at my house afterwards. My incision opened up after lunch just above the gluteal fold, and by the time everyone left last night, I truly thought I was going to explode from the swelling. I don't know how I'm going to be able to work for 8 hours on Monday! How do people work and continue to heal with all his swelling? I'm worried.

my first 1.5 weeks back to work was brutal. I am a hospital administrator, so I am in a lot of meetings. When I am in my office, I sit on a pillow and when I get home I rest. I had an incision split at Christmas and when back to work on 1/11. Be prepared for low energy and I swear my brain still isn't completely working like it did. I asked a neurologist who I know and she said that many hours under anesthesia takes a toll on short term memory but it will come back.

Keep the area clean and use it as a sign you may be doing too much too soon. My surgeon said skin that was obese does not heal the way other skin does and we are prone to those. Luckily I only had the one on my hip. It is completely healed and everything looks great now.

Hang in there!!!

Going back to work is challenging. I'm an RN, and I remember the days people were off 6 weeks or more for this type of surgery. I was off about 2 weeks post surgery, then worked remotely for a week, and was back in the office at about 4. Each time I felt like I could use a couple more weeks. I think we take this stuff a little lighter than we should, sometimes. I'm a director for information systems for a large health care corporation and just can't be away that long, but it was hard to go back. I know it contributes to the swelling.

After I had those seromas removed last week, I went back the next day, but in reality, should have probably worked remotely for a couple of days to stay off my feet and prevent recurrence. If they come back, I'm going to be upset!

I took 6 weeks off and needed it. I think we do underestimate the healing needed post lower body lift or Tummy Tuck. Hope everyone is healing up...if in doubt take it easier.

I took 6 weeks off and needed it. I think we do underestimate the healing needed post lower body lift or Tummy Tuck. Hope everyone is healing up...if in doubt take it easier.

Agreed! I ended up taking 7 weeks off and wish I would have gone 8. How long did you wear your compression garmets? I went from 5:30 this morning until about 7 without them on and my mons pubis is really swollen tonight. I put it back on for the night but now my skin feels tight and I'm 10 weeks out now.

my first 1.5 weeks back to work was brutal. I am a hospital administrator, so I am in a lot of meetings. When I am in my office, I sit on a pillow and when I get home I rest. I had an incision split at Christmas and when back to work on 1/11. Be prepared for low energy and I swear my brain still isn't completely working like it did. I asked a neurologist who I know and she said that many hours under anesthesia takes a toll on short term memory but it will come back.

Keep the area clean and use it as a sign you may be doing too much too soon. My surgeon said skin that was obese does not heal the way other skin does and we are prone to those. Luckily I only had the one on my hip. It is completely healed and everything looks great now.

Hang in there!!!

Amen sister! My brain isn't up to snuff either, and I too was thinking it could be anesthesia related. I do stupid little things like leaving the keys in the lock of the front door all day, and wishing people good morning at 8pm. Scares me a bit. I agree that I must be doing too much too soon. Interesting your comments regarding our skin! Thanks for your support and sharing your experiences- that is so helpful to me!

Going back to work is challenging. I'm an RN, and I remember the days people were off 6 weeks or more for this type of surgery. I was off about 2 weeks post surgery, then worked remotely for a week, and was back in the office at about 4. Each time I felt like I could use a couple more weeks. I think we take this stuff a little lighter than we should, sometimes. I'm a director for information systems for a large health care corporation and just can't be away that long, but it was hard to go back. I know it contributes to the swelling.

After I had those seromas removed last week, I went back the next day, but in reality, should have probably worked remotely for a couple of days to stay off my feet and prevent recurrence. If they come back, I'm going to be upset!

You make a good point - I spent a boatload of money on this surgery, I should be really careful to be sure I get good results for my investment. I thought I was by making sure I had plenty of Protein, but I think I have to adjust my thinking a bit also.

Agreed! I ended up taking 7 weeks off and wish I would have gone 8. How long did you wear your compression garmets? I went from 5:30 this morning until about 7 without them on and my mons pubis is really swollen tonight. I put it back on for the night but now my skin feels tight and I'm 10 weeks out now.

I know I'm far behind you at only 3 weeks, but my mons is really swollen, I would almost describe it as pendulous. I'm really hoping this is temporary.

I know I'm far behind you at only 3 weeks, but my mons is really swollen, I would almost describe it as pendulous. I'm really hoping this is temporary.

I imagine it's swelling, and will subside. It sure is hard to wait for the end result when we are looking at what appears to be less than perfect results. I decided I can't ever go out in public naked ;)