Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Increase in Left side pain at three weeks post-op

I am curious if anyone has experienced any symptoms similar to my own. I had been progressing very well, I saw my surgeon at two weeks post and he was pleased with my profess. I was walking and had little pain unless if I tried to sleep on my left side. He progressed me to puree stage foods and a few days later (I started with eggs and Soup first), I attempted some moist, pureed chicken. The chicken did NOT settle well with me at all and I was sick for two days. Since being sick, the prior "dull ache" that I had in my left side flared up and now I can barely control it. It hurts to cough, sneeze, reach, turn, and I can not let anyone hug me. Has anyone else had an increase in pain and a setback in how they feel after a week or so of feeling great?!?! I am getting discouraged. I want to be able to have fun with my children this holiday.

Would suggest you get in touch with your doc. Give him exact details of pain, location, as well as how it prevents you from doing much (by the sounds of it)

I am one month out today. chicken and meats are hard for me to tolerate even now. My team said for some chicken is hard to digest because it is fibrous. Now for the pain once I began to lose my stomach became real sensitive. Where I could return to work, walk the dog and sleep on my side. I woke up one night really uncomfortable. I remembered a prior abdominal surgery where I had to wear an abdominal support. Pulled it out for about 2 weeks, which helped greatly. Especially when driving because every bump rattled my insides. I also made sure I stayed hydrated and had regular BMs with the assistance of stool softness. For me, I just wasn't ready for the solids so I reverted back to full liquids with Protein supplements. Something I learned from others on this site, understand we just had major surgery and our bodies need time to heal. Now if you asked me last week I had some major doubts, but everyday gets a little easier!

Thank you both for your advice! I will attempt reverting back to the full liquids and see if that helps as well as calling to speak to the surgeons nurse tomorrow as I know he does surgeries on Thursdays. I was told that there would be set backs and I tried to mentally prepare myself for them however I am a medical professional myself so sometimes I think of all of the things that it could be and make myself worry.

I had the same pain and I was miserable at all times. Could not sit comfortably and like you said every sneeze, cough and little movement was excruciating. I called my doctor at about 3 1/2 weeks post surgery and he prescribed me a muscle relaxer and Celebrex and the pain went away within a few hours and I have have only needed to use it about 5 times since then. Maybe talk to your doc about prescribing something. It was a huge lifesaver for me. Good luck.

I had severe pain on my left side when I was about 4 wks out, it lasted about a week then one day disappeared and hasn't came back. My surgeon said it was normal.

Ginger is great,

I just read your post today. I hope you are doing better by now. You should always call your doctor if pain returns. Best wishes to you. I hope your holidays are happy and pain free.