Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Struggling

I had my surgery on November 19th of this year. I still have an incision that hasn't completely closed. But more concerning, I cannot eat. I have been barely getting 460 calories in a day through shakes. I just realized that I wasn't putting enough shake mix in... Now that I am making them properly, I am struggling to get them down too. I keep trying different things and as soon as it hits my stomach I struggle not to vomit. I know I am not getting enough Water either, as I am getting pain in my back in my kidney area and I only go to the bathroom twice a day. Is this just going to take time??? I'm beginning to wish I had never had surgery!

I found initially I had to thin the Protein shakes out. So I would make them as per the directions and then add ½ a cup of Water plus tons of ice to the drink. I then made it a point to sip super, super slow. It would sometimes take an hour to get it in but this way I got in both my Protein and my Water. How many gms of protein are you getting in?

The incision that hasn't closed is likely the one where your drain was. It's the biggest incision and also the deepest. Mine took a good 3 weeks to scab over.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Only look foward. We can only focus on the path ahead. I got my overhaul 11-4. You are not alone in your struggles to consume liquid. Pace yourself slowly. And keep your mind positive. Take a bite and walk all over the house. In every room down every hall. Then try a tiny bite more. Repeat. This will help you slow things down. Use a bay spoon so bites aren't too large. As most will tell you Water is one of the more difficult things to drink. Have you checked in with your dr or nut? If not call and discuss things with them. You can do this one step at a time

I'm getting about 66 grams of Protein through the shakes. I'm a teacher, so the first shake takes from 8am to almost noon to get in, then my second one takes from 1pm until I get home to finish it. I try to sip Water in between, but there is no time for anything more... I will try adding water and ice to the shakes. That is a good idea! Thank you!

I don't go back to the bariatric doctors until December 30, but I am seeing my primary physician next Tuesday. I will definitely be upfront with all of them.

Also maybe try juice or crystal light or g2. These are othe things that u should be able to have at this point. I'm not sure what stage your on so if your on the baby food part give some a try or make your own out of roasted veggies you really like and use a mini chopper or food processr to mash them to purée stage :)

I'm getting about 66 grams of Protein through the shakes. I'm a teacher, so the first shake takes from 8am to almost noon to get in, then my second one takes from 1pm until I get home to finish it. I try to sip Water in between, but there is no time for anything more... I will try adding water and ice to the shakes. That is a good idea! Thank you!

If you are getting in 66gms of protein don't worry about the calories at this point. Just focus on getting in your water. Water is not an issue for me since I was drinking 4-6 glasses a day pre-op. I drink about that amount now.

I think weeks 0-4 my recommended calorie goal was 400-600. They were more concerned with my protein intake being at least 60 gms of protein.

I had my surgery on 11/21, yes focus on your Water, it is extremely hard for me too. I carry the bottle with me every where. Propel's flavored water by gatorade helps or diluted apple juice. My large incision has not quite healed, I just try and keep it clean - was worried a bit too! Proteinex Liquid Protein gets you 18g of Protein in 2 Tbs dose. It's gross but it helps when I don't all my protein down. (I agree it is hard - ice does help it go down) Premier Protein is my fave it offers 30g - it takes me 2 1/2 hours though. My trick to getting foods down is to mentally count to 15 stop let the saliva accumulate chew some more until food is apple sauce consistency and slowly swallow. It is the only way for me to get food down! I had to buy 4 Oz containers and baby spoons too ikea has a nice 50 pc set that look more like normal utensils.

I have always been a huge Water drinker... Until now. I'm still on phase 2.. Nothing besides Protein, unless I get in all the protein, then I can try fruits and/or veggies. I get nauseous as soon as the water hits my stomach... But I continue to press on. I get 2 shakes and a bottle of water in, but that's it. As long as I know that this is normal, I will keep pressing on!!! Thank you all!!! I appreciate the support'

I had my sleeve Nov. 10. The first two weeks I had Water nausea. I drank G2 & lite cranberry as my fluids. Water was too dense. I also can really only tolerate Unjury Protein Shakes. As a teacher, it is hard to get fluids in but being on your feet all day your body needs it. Now, I drink propel & water all day. I try to drink 10oz before school (as soon as I wake up) then another 20 to 30 at school. At home, I try to drink 30 more ounces. I am constantly pushing/sipping fluids all day. It definitely is another job rt now getting the fluids in...push through & persevere. Some days I am on target & some not so much. It's a daily process that I know will get better!

You need to get to your Dr asap. You could easily have a leak from what you describe.