Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 year surgi-versary - updated info from NUT

I am 3 years out and maintaining a major weight loss (I went from 308, got as low as 140 and am hanging out in the mid 150s right now).

Anyway, I have been having more trouble with hunger, cravings etc and I think it has alot to do with my boys living at home again so I have food in the house that calls my name (bread, potatoes, sometimes junk food) again. Also, I am steady dating someone and for reasons i cannot grasp, that seems to be fattening - well, I am not going out dancing and stuff as much as I used to. Final issue is that I am suffering some physical issues that have interferred with my working out so i thought it would be good to get a tune up with a good NUT.

I think we talked through a couple of areas of improvement - you guessed it going back to basics! I have gotten out of the habit of focusing on hydration for example. They are now saying 64-100 oz of Fluid consumed at least 30 minutes post meal.

She said i eat more quantity than she thinks a typical sleever should be able to eat. I don't measure, but I eat from a small side plate so i am not sure about that, but it is true i can eat a good sized salad etc.

Anyway, the thing I learned that i thought was very interesting is she had a model of the sleeve tummy which is shaped like a banana. the "stretch" receptors are at the bottom and the top of the sleeve. So, I always eat Protein first, but I don't always LITERALLY eat protein first. Example, a salad with salmon on it - i have the salmon chopped up into the salad. She has suggested that I eat at least half the salmon first, before any lettuce because that "dense protein" will hit that receptor much firmer and I will feel more satiated. So, LITERALLY eat protein first and then eat the veggies, greens etc. I think I used to do that quite carefully, but i eat a lot of mixed foods now (salad with meat in it, egg dish with veggies and low fat turkey sausage mixed in it etc). I will try this.

She also really recommends the mini meals every 3 hours - so 5 mini meals. She said that if you get overly hungry, you can often eat and then maybe 1-2 hours later you are hungry again (and repeat) - referred to it as the boomerang effect. I am not sure about this one, during the weight loss phase I ate 4 mini meals. I have done 5:2 and found that the fasting can reduce appetite (as well as other health benefits of fasting). I am skeptical on this one.

Since I am struggling a bit through the holidays, and no way am I successful at 5:2 right now, I am going to try following her advice.

So, 3 years out as of Dec 11 - and so very pleased with my results and life with a sleeve!

Congratulations CGJ! You are such a wonderful inspiration. I also went back to basics 10 days ago and a combination of that and a stomach virus has me 9 lbs down already. I'm doing Protein first and four medium meals, but one is usually a premier Protein shake.

I'm sorry you're not able to exercise as much. I think even a little bit helps. Can you do yoga or walk? I go back to yoga when I get injured and it usually helps me stabilize.

Well, I am becoming a weather wimp. Also, I am dating someone now who is going through some physical issues so instead of hiking or some other active sport, we tend to cook dinners and share wine...hmmm... could that be why "dating" is fattening? HA!

Anyway, yesterday i stopped by a new month to month gym that i am going to do for a few months to get my Buns moving more... and to take away the "it's cold out" excuse.

These are from this summer and i want deltoids like that again!

post-122684-0-86480400-1418840592_thumb.jpg

post-122684-0-26454500-1418840482_thumb.jpg

post-122684-0-80365000-1418840696_thumb.jpeg

congrats on your 3 year mark.

Congratulations on maintaining so well for 3 years! You are truly an inspiration! And thanks for sharing your struggles and what you learned from the NUT. That's the kind of discussion those of us in the early parts of the journey need to hear. I wish you the best of success in re-engaging your program. It worked before, and it can work again!

Awesome job maintaining your loss! Thanks for the update and information. I am planning on giving the 5:2 plan a try after the holidays. Dating is VERY fattening. There's a reason for the saying "Fat and happy"! LOL! It's all the eating and drinking together and contentment! So happy for you that you've found someone new to share your life with.

Congratulations on your three year mark, and your continued success! You're a great inspiration to us all, and so we applaud you!

I'm interested in the fact that your NUT said you are eating too much quantity. Did she say what is too much quantity? I think that my capacity is higher than I'd like, and I know I can eat about a cup or more of food, depending on what it is. The dietitian in my doc's office said that at a year, a cup is pretty normal, and OK.The trick is to not graze. I also noticed when I was doing 5:2 that restriction returned pretty quick. I'm two years out, and I am really hoping the capacity doesn't continue to increase! Do you think yours increased from a year ago?

Either way, you obviously know what you need to do succeed. I'm impressed that you are proactive and allow someone to analyze your eating habits in order to continue your success. Even though we all "know" what to do if we've been successful, I think an objective second party can be helpful.

Here's to the next 12 months of continued success!

You look amazing and you are! Good for you to take control before spiraling out of control. So proud of you. You are an inspiration to me! Thanks for all your post. Love the pictures. I hope I will be able to ride again someday.

Congats Sheryl, you are a day to day inspiration for me. ...and those delts were rockin'! You can work on those without leaving the house... wine bottle lifts? ;)

Congrats! I'm 20 mo out right now & struggling. BUT something you said just resonated very deeply in me... I never knew the stretch receptors were at the bottom!! That *absolutely* makes the "Protein 1st" part make sense! I need to get back to that.

Thank you so very much for sharing. :)

@@CowgirlJane ... somehow I missed seeing this thread until today. Very interesting and helpful information. The pure Protein first tip makes so much sense. Thank you.

And Merry Christmas to all this morning.