Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve weight loss Men vs. Women

My husband had gastric sleeve surgery December 2013 and has lost 125 pounds. We have the same doctor and I'm scheduled for surgery December 29th. He mentioned to me that Men lose the weight faster than women. I know this is true just dieting in general, but why is this? Does anyone know the rate difference? What should I expect average monthly weight loss should be? I know everyone is different and it varies but I was just curious on how much of a difference between men and women?

My understanding is that men have more muscle mass to start with, and muscle burns calories faster than fat. Oh well.

Miss Mac is correct. It stinks too! My husband and I had surgery 3 weeks apart. I went first. I am almost 5 weeks out and he has already passed me up. I am truly happy for him but I am jealous too.

lost 125 pounds. - Men lose the weight faster than women.

@@mns112182

don't have the answer to that :(

I do know that the more someone weighs

he/she will initially lose weight quicker

if your hubby weighs 350-400 lbs he will start off losing more weight (ie 125 lbs)

125 lb weight loss surpasses your 112 lbs you want/need to lose

your starting weight is 252 lbs

you'll never be able to catch up with # of his weight loss :(

its like getting on a bicycle 15 minutes after your husband

you can pedal as fast as he does

but you'll never catch up with how much he has to lose

but you still can pass the finish goal line first ;)

(did i say that right?? :blink: )

i am sure you and hubby are proud of his success

125 lbs down!!!

average 41 lbs per month!!!!

he is doing great!! :)

congrats to hubby

good luck to you

your surgery is 1 week from monday :rolleyes:

good luck

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Women, as the child bearing half of the species, are genetically programmed to hold onto weight and fat so as to bear kids whereas men are not. *shakes FISTS AT SKY*

Well men tend to do most things faster than us right, and no, it's not always a good thing! Seeing how this is so, they should of been the ones who gave birth. You know how some of us labor for 27 plus hours, in my case, three days with my first, they would be in and out of labor and delivery in three hours or less. Ok, I digressed and didn't answer the question.