Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introduction + Consultation(Advice Please)

Hello! Im new here. I was suggested this site from a Lady in my Nutritional Group. I want to make friends and i want as much support/guidance as i can get!

First off, You can Call me "Truffles". :D Im 22 years old and have been On yo-yo diets since i hit puberty. I weight'd myself this morning and i was 258lbs. My BMI is over 40. What made me just say "no more" is when i woke up and my whole left side of my body was numb. I could feel my blood oozing in my veins. I was feeling too sick. So i called my PCM and Scheduled an appointment to get things going. Im going through Military Insurance(TricarePrime) To pay for my Lapband. Ive thought about WL surgery since 2011 and im finally going to do something about it. My PCM had got the ball rolling with the required things i need for the surgeon. I saw a NUT and also a Psych. Also got a Fasting Blood Test. Im not so sure about the psych eval. though. She was Rude and When i told her i wanted to get WL surgery she looked at me like i had sh** on my face and told me "You dont look big, just do it the natural way, You'll feel much better"... Yeah she seriously said this to me. Afterwards i didnt bring wls up again and we talked about my eating habits. So i think ima request a New Psych cause... that hurt my feeings alot. OUP! Off topic.

Now, I have a consultation tomorrow with a Surgeon in the next town over and ive researched ALL i can about the lapband. My Question to you guys is. What kind of Questions should i ask the Surgeon about himself personally? I mean, I'd like to know a decent amount about him and his experience before i let him stick me with stuff, ya know? And i feel like other people would come up with questions i wouldn't think to ask. Also, just to be safe, Could someone give me a general list of things i Should/Need to ask the Surgeon and his team?

Ask him how many surgery ' s he has done. What his surgery plan is meaning what pre/post op diet does he or she recommended. You want your surgeon to be qualified to your standards not to regulation standards that too but more yours. Check a couple out if your gut tells you something is off with one trust your gut. I wish i checked out just one more cause my drs staff are a**holes. Just plain rude and no help and they are the ones you speak with the most so look for decent staff members.

Yeah i was told to check out his team. "You only gotta see him 3 times, Its his staff you need to put in check"

That one is written down in my notebook. Is there anything i should be looking for, Equipment wise or things i should be aware of when i go there? Like if there a certain amount of crash carts? Room Hygiene? Unhappy Patients walking by? Haha, They will be giving me a tour of the facility as well tomorrow. I have alot of questions i want to ask him and his staff when i get there but i dont want to forget anything.

Find out if there is a bariatric center of excellence around you. This may be your best choice for surgeon and follow up. You can just google it.

I was fortunate on my psych eval. The dr had wls surgery as well and was so supportive and encouraging! I can't imagine a dr of any sort being so rude! Dr's take an oath to help people not put them down! Anyway, some people are just jerks. I found the best way to find a good surgeon is word of mouth. I started asking people I knew that had wls and many of them in my area had used the same place. Even my psych dr recommended this place. He said if he was to do another surgery it's who he would use. And the dr I chose came highly recommended! When I had my first consult with him he made me feel so at ease. I'm going to preop on Dec 30th! Super excited! Best of luck on chosing thr best dr for you!