Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nerves and the Last Supper.

My surgery is in 3 days, and I am nervous as hell. I'm riding feelings like waves: one minute I feel like this is the best move I've ever made, and the next I wonder if my personality will diminish without food. I'm getting support from my wife, but she's nervous as hell, too, which does nothing to help!

Tonight I'm meeting my mom and dad for my Last Supper. I don't want to go nuts, but this is a milestone, and I want to share it with people I love.

But the nerves...the NERVES!

I need someone who's not worried for me to give me some words of encouragement for the next week. Maybe that someone is you!

You have a minute? I'm asking for a few folks to send me a little bump of good vibes. It would go a long way!

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

You've got this! Spend some quality time with your folks. You'll be fine. Last Supper??!! It is NOT your last supper. You will have many more suppers. They just may be a bit smaller. I'm sure many people will start sending you encouragement as the night goes on. Just breathe!!! Your wife will be there for you. Be sure to let us know how you're doing going forward. Take care and Happy Holidays!

Hi Bob,

You will do great I'm sure just listen to your body, doctor, and dietitian. You will have many more meals to come. You are on your way to a healthier and happier you! I'm telling you ... I want to go to the beach in an actual swimsuit rather than shorts and a t-shirt...that is what drives me. What are your goals?

I was nervous leading up to the surgery but here is some encouragement I am 2 months out tomorrow and down 40 pounds... The worst part of this journey was getting approved by insurance and the liquid diet. Good luck

The "Last Supper" thing was mostly me trying to be clever, but there still is definitely a "saying good-bye to the old me and hello to the new me" of this week.

My goals? To live longer. You go to the beach in shorts and a T-shirt? Then you are MILES ahead of me. :)

I'm lucky enough to be in relatively good health for my size. But I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette and had 4 safe runs. I think it's smart for me to take initiative now, BEFORE something terrible happens.

I don't have "final weight" goals. I don't have swimsuit goals. I think my goal would be to know that, from here on out, despite all the mistakes I've made up until this point, that I am doing what I can to live longer and healthier for my wife and son.

BTW I'm still super nervous. I was actually just crying a bit. It's hard, huh?

@@Bob B

It's SO normal to be nervous and have second thoughts! The surgery itself is such a small part of the journey. Next thing you know, you will be on the mend and starting your new life! You've got a great attitude, you will do great! Keep us posted!

Hey Bob,

You got this my man. I'm looking forward to the post you write in a few months where you say that you "only wish you would have done it 10 years earlier!" You've got a couple nonstandard days ahead of you -- hospitals, recovery, etc -- but in no time, you'll be back on and much, much lighter on your feet. I went through the whole things 12 months ago and haven't regretted it, even for one second. Drop me a note if I can help you with anything. Good luck!

Hey Bob! Just think, by the time I have my surgery beginning of January, you will already be on your way to your new and improved life :) I hear ya about the Last Supper thing - it's been running across my mind too - like OMG I will never get to eat again! We know that isn't the case, but by the time you hear everyone here say how "life changing" it is, you're a bundle of nerves figuring you won't ever be the same. You'll be the same, only better!!!

HI Bob,

What is it that has you the most nervous/emotional? I do not know if you pray but it helps me and/or to say out loud what it is you are concerned about. Funny I am most nervous about the anesthesia. I have never had a problem with it but still.....My sister had lapband in November of last year and has lost over 100lbs. I am so proud of her....I never knew she could be so small....lol....But she still hates to exercise....some things don't change.

Monday I will be one month out for my surgery date. I am sure I will reach out to you for a pep-talk :-)

First couple of weeks post-op will be a challenge but sounds like you have a great support team in place. You will do great! Good luck!!

Bob, this is my first post here and I just want to send you some bro love and a fist pound. My date is Wednesday and I can't say that I'm terribly nervous. But everyone I have spoken to has echoed what people have been saying all day: you'll be on the mend before you know and en route to crushing healthy goals in no time. I can't wait to be able to ride a roller coaster with my son or fly without using a seatbelt extender. Sending good vibes your way! Can't wait to track your progress.

Just think this is a huge step towards the new and healthy you.

I haven't had my op yet so I can't tell you how I've dealt with the nerves but look at the nerves as bubbles of excitement !

Way to go!

Well, ladies and gents, thank you so much for this kind group of well-wishes.

dinner with mom, dad, my wife, and son went really well tonight, but while I'm not the wreck I was earlier today, it's still SUCH a big thing that I'm not sure if I will truly relax until I am actually in recovery.

I will keep you updated, but thank you so much for the responses.

You know, I was thinking: a few of you who responded said you hadn't had your surgery yet. I know that as soon as I had made up my mind to make it happen that I was looking for a support group online. My guess is that's exactly what you all are doing right now.

Well, I wish all of you luck, and I promise to follow up next week with info about the surgery and initial recovery. Wish me luck!

Luck! Luck! Luck! Luck! Luck! Luck! Luck!!!! :D (but you wont need it) This sugery is a life "saver". Looking forward to hearing from you when you're on the other side. Oh and keep your umbrella handy, I hear there is "rain" in the forecast. :)

Change is scary.

It's just part of changing.

:)