Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So sad about Hair Loss

Sleeved on August 7th and down 70lbs...loving the new me already however, totally sad about the gobs of hair I am losing.

I have always had a ton of beauftiful, long, thick dark hair. One of my best qualiteis and my security blanket. I didn't lose one strand of hair during pregnanacy or even after and I was sure that it wouldn't happen to me and if it did "I had hair to spare"! At about my two month mark it started falling out and has been ever since I even chopped it short to help and it seems to be getting worse. I am just so sad. I don't feel as pretty or feminie. I dread taking a shower becaue of the handfuls that fall out. It ends up getting pulled back everyday. I wouldn't trade my weight loss but its still depressing. I am a logical and practical woman but the hair thing is taking me for a loop. I think it is because I used it to help mask my weight. If I had gorgeous, long hair then it would take the attention off of my size. Who knows, all I know now is this sucks. lol

Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Edited by Sarahmizzou

I've heard that you're at the prime time for losing it, BUT that it does get better over time. I know that's not much consolation, but maybe you can get fun and funky with some headscarves or other accessories? I have faced the fact that it may happen to me, too. But even if you told me I would be bald I wouldn't care. I don't want this fat anymore.

I am 6 months out and my hair loss has stopped. It is scary for sure! Hang in there. It does stop. I actually am enjoying a little thinner hair. I too had lots of thick hair. I now have lots of tiny new baby hair growing back. Its not too cute. lol

I am 15 months out and my major hair loss stopped at about the 7 month range. Like you, I also have super pretty, long hair, which always made me feel better about myself. I now have shoulder length hair, which fortunately does not look as thin as it is because I found a girl who does a great job on my cut. I don't feel like it's really thickening up yet, but I am vey relieved it has stopped falling out!

Sorry! I know that's must really stink! I pretend Like I'm all set in case it starts happening to me, but I know when it/If it does I'm going to cry! Yes cry because I know how much that will help (not)! I will cry and then I shall get some extensions because I know I don't look good bald (my mom still has the picture where I gave myself a "hair cut "when I was 3 and trust me it's aint cute) The only good thing about the whole situation is at least it will grow back, and no matter how much I try to fool myself there really is no magic in these locks! I hope yours stops soon! Sending you a big hug! @ Hey! I just noticed your in Missouri too!!! Hi neighbor!

My hair loss stopped at 5 1/2 months, which was good because I was going to look like Captain Picard if it kept up much longer.

I got a shoulder length layered cut to make it look as best I could for now. I can get away with wearing a winter hat for the next few months, so that will help some too while it grows back in.

Have you tried Biotin for your Hair loss. I started taking it prior to surgery and I am still taking it. It has been working for me. My surgeon said that it does not work for everyone. Also it is important to get in your 60-80 grams of Protein daily, along with your Vitamins. Like everyone said it will grow back. I know that is not much consolation right now but hang in there. I understand about your hair being your security blanket. Baggy clothes were mine. I am now just getting use to not buying plus size clothes. Sometimes I still buy them out of habit and have to take them back and get a smaller size. There are so many things that we deal with being obese, that those that are not do not understand. Anyway we are all starting out new and have a second chance at life to do it right, live happy and healthy once and for all.

My hair started falling out from months 4-7. I had waist long hair which I had cut off. I'm not noticing it now. I have noticed around my face I have these little sprouters. All different lengths. I wasn't too worried at first because I had a lot of hair but towards the end of the loss, I noticed it thinning. Didn't like THAT! Idk if it's the new style (graduated Bob) or not. It will stop and while its disturbing, it's hair and it will grow back!

Even though you think you are mentally prepared for Hair loss, it is quite devastating. Yes it grows back, but that day-to-day struggle of dealing with the massive loss causes a great deal of stress. For me, being thin and having my beautiful hair is like oil and water; they don't mix.

I had waist length hair 7 years ago. My marriage was falling apart on top of it I found out I had MS. They shots were causing fevers and it was already 90 t. So being the spontaneous girl I am, I cut off my ponytail. Screwed it up. Got out the clippers with the guard which decided to fall off. I scalped myself! I had to continue on. I was bald. Bald. It was great, no hair in my face, lol. I got pity looks because people assumed I'd either a. Gotten sick or

B. Lost my mind...we will stick with that.

It's just hair. It's grown probably at least 3 feet in 7 years. I had 14 inches cut of last month. Ta dah! No more Hair loss, not like when my hair was heavy and long. Just sharing my "it could be worse story!"

I too am scared of this. I just try to get my Protein and Vitamins in. My hair has ALWAYS fallen out in thick clumps. But it constantly grows back and I have plenty of it still. I'm only 7 weeks PO so far so good. Just my normal any when I wash my hair. But knowing it stops offers some condolence.

Thank you soooooo much ladies! It is really nice to know I am not alone. As much as I thought I was prepared I wasn't. I am hopeful it will stop soon.

Edited by Sarahmizzou

I started losing hair about two months after surgery. I'm now about five months out and it seems to be slowing down. When my hair started looking limp I got a pixie cut. I went from a bob to really short hair I love it,except November in Vermont was probably not the best time to have really short hair. I've had to turn into a hat person!