Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Differing Doctor's Orders?

I was sleeved on October 10 and my doctor is a very "militaristic" style man. I had to do the clear liquid stage for a week before and again a week after surgery. He put my on a statin drug for a week prior to shrink the liver even though I don't have cholesterol issues. I spent two nights in the hospital instead of one because my potassium level dropped too low for his comfort. I had a stomach drain put in and had to keep it for two weeks post-surgery (Don't even think about asking to have it removed!!). I'm now 9 weeks post-op and I'm on a very strict Atkins-style diet with another follow-up appointment in February. My follow-up appointments last an average of an hour talking about problems I may be experiencing, diet, exercise, etc...

I have a friend in a nearby city that was sleeved in early November and no stomach drain. Her follow-up appointment, two weeks post-op, lasted about 10 minutes. She had 1/2 day of Clear liquids pre-op and her "phases" of liquids lasted 4-5 days each. 5 days post-op she was eating potato soup!

I tried to give her advice and support before her surgery and what to expect but our doctors differ greatly on EVERYTHING! My doctor really pushed (and still does) a Protein shot first thing in the morning to kick-start the metabolism and get a big protein boost for the day. He even pulled from his cabinet in his office a particular brand as an example. I told my friend about it and she bought some. She took one to her doctor and he told her NO, don't do that.

All in all, I am very pleased with my doctor and the surgery. I even thanked him at a follow-up appointment for being a "hard ass" with me.

I'm very glad she hasn't had any complications but I've got to wonder why her doctor is so lax about everything. I understand liability issues related to poor medical management and that is why I give kudos to my doctor and his pre-surgery routine and his post-surgery care. I'm just dumbfounded with my friends doctor and his obvious lack of concern, pre and post-op.

I would say it's all in how they were taught. Just as we nurses don't do patient care exactly alike. It's all in the training and just overall care in general. It sounds like your DR is very Thorough and admit about certain aspects that he deems the right way for his practice, it doesn't mean your friends DR isn't a good surgeon. My surgeon is also a top trauma surgeon and he didn't recommend any Protein Shots in the morning and we sure as heck don't spend and hour talking (he's way to busy for that!) But he did answer all my questions ect......I also had a drain it's just all in the practice! Sounds like you have a good one :)

Yep, each doctor is different...like each weight loss is different...like we are all different...yet the same! :P

Wow, having your doctor (any doctor) sit with you that long is amazing!

Follow his plan and I'm sure you will do well...

Good luck

My post op visits take 2.5-3 hours. It is a group appointment which consists of the other 7 people that had surgery during the same day as I had mine. We have to take turns in the waiting room to go back and see the post op bariatrician. After everyone is finished, then we all attend a group meeting with the nutritionist. I guess this is required now since we never saw a nutritionist during the pre op period. It's great to visit with other bariatric patients, but the waiting around is nerve wracking. Since it is an hour drive to the clinic, these post op appointments take up more than half a day. I'm thinking of skipping the January appointment because I'm working everyday now. We are suppose to do blood work then, so maybe I won't.

I like the idea of Protein shots. Are these something you can order or do you need a script?

My doc is pretty awesome. I had to do a 2 week pre-op diet, 24 liquid diet the day before surgery and liquids only for two weeks when I had my follow up. I'm on phase two of the diet and it's great. He was like your doc was minus the military act. The way I see it is, it's only going to help me.

Your friends doc, yeah, I would think the same way. But elode said, there schooled different and personalities are all different.

Some centers have NO after eating plan... just normal food chewed well. Each Dr. has a formula of some kind, strict or not.... follow what s/he lays out... and unless it looks very crazy, you should be fine.

This forum is for researarch papers- how about finding a research paper that addresses your question, we would all be interested in seeing that im sure!