Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Even though my surgiversary is December 20, I consider today my 1 year mark since it was December 4 that I started my preop diet. Hey, 16 days of liquids and leafy greens and 22 pounds lost deserve to be counted! I really don't know where to begin to describe how wonderful this past year has been, but here are some highlights...

My surgical experience at Obesity Control Center in TJ was better than I could have hoped for. It was more of a fun mini-vacation with my sister than anything. Recovery was nearly painless and I have had no reflux, food intolerances or Hair loss. My sincere thanks goes out to everyone there who took such good care of me.

I discovered what a wonderful, supportive community I live and work in. I was very ashamed and angry about letting myself get so fat. But despite the initial embarrassment, I chose to be honest about my surgery and talk about it openly. Turns out that was great therapy. I am now proud of my decision rather than feel it's something I need to hide. Literally hundreds of people know I had WLS....friends, family, clients, fellow beauty shop patrons.... and no one has made me feel bad about it. Nobody treats me any differently and turns out people like and respect me whether I'm fat or thin. Everyone is just happy for me that I feel better, both physically and mentally. I see from a lot of posts that not everyone has such accepting, non-judgemental people in their lives so I am incredibly grateful that I do.

The first first 3-4 months postop were certainly not without struggles.... Feeling bloated and full all the time that first month, Trying to get in all my Protein and Water despite having no appetite, learning how to chew and eat slow, almost 2 months of diarrhea from a C. diff infection from antibiotics for a tooth infection 6 weeks after VSG, being on medications that made me nauseous, getting IV fluids 3 times for dehydration because I couldn't drink enough water with my tiny sleeve, and needing a fecal transplant to finally cure the C. diff. It was at least 4 months before I felt normal, but I never once regretted surgery and would do it all again. Although I wouldn't particularly care to relive the two excruciatingly painful gall bladder attacks I've had....by far the WORST part of this journey.

First NSV....my rings fit! (they have since become too big and I've had to resize them down...even my high school ring)

I learned from these forums that stalls are normal, so I never worried about them. In fact, I never even bothered to buy a scale. NSV's are much more satisfying and mean more than numbers on a scale.

Went from size 22 relaxed/curvy fit jeans to 6 or 7 slims. XXL tops to mediums. Size 44DD to a very saggy 36B (but I still consider this a good thing). I can shop in regular stores and even online because I know the clothes will fit and look good!

I can wear tall boots because they fit over my calves.

I can swing up into my saddle without having to find a log or rock to climb on. Even had to buy a new saddle to fit my new skinny butt. And I have no doubt that my horse is at least as thrilled with my weight loss as I am.

I am saving hundreds of dollars every month on groceries....good thing since I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe.

I can easily cross my legs, kneel, squat and sit "Indian style". I can bound (yes, bound!) up several flights of steps without even breathing hard.

My blood pressure is normal and my PCP is thrilled with my bloodwork. I had my first normal PAP and negative HPV test in 7 years....eating healthy has allowed my immune system to finally clear the virus and abnormal cells from my system.

My feet and ankles and knees haven't hurt in at least 10 months. I'm on my feet all day and went from daily NSAIDS and occasional tramadol to zero of both.

Blew past my surgeon's goal weight at 6 months, passed my personal goal around 7 months and have settled in the middle of a normal BMI range....100 pounds lost forever! More than I ever dreamed possible.

I have maintained within a 5 pound bounce range over the last 3 months with very little effort. Getting enough protein and water, taking my Vitamins, eating a well balanced diet of protein, veggies, fruit and whole grains and limiting white carbs seems to work for me. No counting calories, tracking or measuring. The sleeve does its job of Portion Control and I do my job of making good choices. I live and eat like a normal person and enjoy everything in moderation.

And somewhere along the way I've learned how to deal with life's stresses without turning to food and alcohol. I never thought I could feel this good about myself. I am truly blessed and I sincerely wish everyone as much success, confidence and happiness as I have found. (Sorry this was so long, but I just have so much to be grateful for)

Before/after pictures taken Dec 4, 2013 and 2014. Competitive Trail Ride Event pictures taken September 2013 and 2014.

post-182221-0-00324200-1417700583_thumb.jpg post-182221-0-10681300-1417700611_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kindle

Kindle, what a wonderful post and how fun it is to see your before/after pix. Your body looks wonderful and like your skin has really responded great to the healthy changes you've made.

Congratulations to you for all your successes. And thank you for your online presence on these forums. You're a true inspiration to me.

****and THANK YOU to BP and all of the supportive members that helped make my journey easier by sharing your stories and advice****

Congratulations on your success! And Happy RE-birthday!!! Your story is truly an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!

P.S. You look great!!!

Edited by laurenella82

@@Kindle You have been an inspiration to me since the day I came here in October. Your positive outlook and resolve has shined in everything you have said. I love your no-nonsense attitude, and I love that you look at each set back as a come back. I can only hope to be as successful as you. Bless you for being so open about your life changes, you are a bright light here, and I know everyone agrees with me. xoxo

Congratulations! All your hard work has payed off! Beautiful horse too BTW!

And speaking for those that cannot........your horse thanks you ! :P

Good for you! You look fantastic! And P.S. You have a beautiful horse too! :) Your post about him being happy that you're thinner made me laugh because the first time I got back on a horse I rode when I was bigger I remember thinking the same thing. Good luck in the future!

I ditto what Bobbyswife said. You have always been an inspiration to me since I've been on this site. I really enjoy your simple, no nonsense attitude about your surgery, and it obviously is working for you. Like you, I am a proponent of not keeping my surgery a secret and not hesitating to tell anyone who asks about it to educate them about WLS. Aside from your bumps in the road, I can only hope my first year is as successful and satisfying as yours has been. On a side note...YOUR STOMACH AND ARMS LOOK AMAZING!!

@@Kindle You look absolutely amazing my friend, and you are an inspiration to me and a lot more people as well.

I enjoyed reading your story gives us newbies something to look forward too. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your journey.

My goodness what a great year you have had. Proud of the results you've had and the obstacles you've overcome. You're an inspiration!

Great story - so happy for you, and inspired by you!

It's stories like this that make me want to eagerly move forward with this new life! Congratulations on all your victories and thank you for sharing!

Wow Kindle, you are the success story we all hope to be when we start this WLS journey! Congratulations on overcoming several hurdles this year.