Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am posting an article I just found online from Psychology Today. I am posting it here because this could be a complication of any weight loss surgery, with the lack of carbs we are able to eat after surgery. I am presurgery and struggle with depression NOW, so I am interested in your personal journey or comments about depression you may have experienced AFTER your surgery. Thanks in advance.

food that would feed a gnat, weight loss is inevitable. So little food can be eaten at a time that patients are told not to drink Water at mealtime because doing so leaves no room for food. Pounds seem to melt off, leaving the post-operative patients optimistic about improvedsupplements. Eating too much causes severe nausea and pain, another unpleasant but avoidable side effect if the temptation to take one too many bites is overcome.

However, some problems don’t disappear as quickly as the weight, and for some, may persist for years. Anxiety, depression and chocolate again might put you into a permanent funk. But the depressions reported both in the scientific literature, and in the hundreds of personal anecdotes on gastric surgery blog sites, suggests otherwise. Some have associated depression with the very low-calorie Protein and supplements to prevent muscle, Vitamin and mineral loss. Even though tryptophan is one of the amino acids making up protein, studies done over several decades at MIT showed that when protein is eaten, little or no tryptophan enters the brain.

Low and/or inactive serotonin is associated with depressed mood and anxious mood, sleep is by taking prescription sleep medication,” is not an uncommon description of persistent wakefulness of many post-surgical patients. According to some of their reports, the insomnia lasts for months and even years. Some people reported taking melatonin but in such large doses (the correct dose is 0.3 mg) that it shut off their body’s own production of this hormone and stopped working. Others would attempt to limit the use of prescription drugs for fear of addiction, but eventually give in after several sleepless nights.

Would eating more carbohydrates help? Might more serotonin help calm and soothe the mind so it stops racing around like a gerbil on a running wheel and allow sleep to come?

No one disputes the life-saving consequence of bariatric surgery as it removes or decreases the many health problems of excessive weight. But unless depressed, insomniac individuals find some way to feel and sleep better, they are a risk for regaining weight and losing their health. Call it an unexpected blindside of a surgery meant to make life easier to begin with.

Edited by utahgirll

I call bullshit on this article. It's replete with inaccuracies, e.g., "So little food can be eaten at a time that patients are told not to drink Water at mealtime because doing so leaves no room for food." (Nope, that's not why we don't drink Water at mealtimes.) And "Post-operatively, patients eat only Protein and supplements to prevent muscle, Vitamin and mineral loss." (Uh, no, that's not true either.)

If the writer did any actual research about WLS patients' actual experiences, the article makes it sound like she attended a single WLS support group and assumed the participants' anecdotal experiences are typical of all WLS patients. (No, that's not how research, even qualitative research, should be conducted.)

The writer does lots of "wondering" and "surmising" and "figuring" and "what if'ing". The text of the article contains eight questions marks, e.g., "Would giving tryptophan as a supplement help?" (Gee, I don't know -- would it?) It reads like it should be titled "Random, Hairbrained Questions I Had About Weight Loss Surgery Without Bothering to Inform Myself About It at All."

This piece is pathetic. It's not fit for a publication like Psychology Today. The author is just flogging her new book, The Antidepressant Diet, not investigating seriously any connections between WLS and depression.

Epic fail.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

I call BS on many of the statements as well... however, i for sure have had to deal with some emotional issues post weight loss. I was pretty okay during the weight loss phase, it was as I got closer to goal, and then maintenance.

It is my opinion that for me personally the primary issue was that food was sort of an emotional ballast, a crutch, a way of numbing feelings. When you spend DECADES leaning on something like that it is really hard to adapt. They tell you to replace it with physical activity (I did), friends, family and new hobbies and interests (I did) and at times I still felt like I had a hole in my heart. Honestly, I think for the most part, I just wasn't used to REALLY feeling my feelings. I was used to being numb. It was a wild ride to get to the point where I was comfortable with that.

also, your looks change ALOT. It's a good happy change, but when you go from being invisible to being quite noticed, it is shocking. Again, I am over it and it doesn't impact me much these days, but it was a bit of a head trip.

Then, there are expectations. I NEVER expected weight loss to solve my problems in life. However, once that central issue, monkey on my back obesity was in check... I started looking around thinking "hey, i want more out of life". My expectations now in terms of what I want in life are much much higher. Example, I was planning to go to Hawaii in December with a friend - I have never been there in my whole life. She couldn't make it happen, so that was a little disappointing. When I was obese, I wouldn't have even wanted to go to Hawaii. That isn't depressing for me, but it surely has an emotional impact.

I feel at times like I am on an emotional roller coaster,however I was prepared for this. I know that if I am in a funk today, that I should feel better tomorrow. I also eat carbs, not a lot,but some. They're part of the diet that I follow.

Thanks you three for responding... it is really helpful to get your feedback. I am trying to see myself 5 years down the road with having done this operation, and hoping to look at all sides of it: good, bad, hard, wonderful.

Thanks again.

Keep posting, anyone else that would like to contribute.

I read that article just today. I am 2 and 1/2 months out from my gastric bypass and for the first time in my life am dealing with serious depression. My husband took me to the ER on Monday due to the severity. Maybe the article has some inaccuracies. But my life is good. I have lost 73 pounds I am under 300 for the first time in more than 10 years. I have a great job, great home and so much less pain than I did 73 pounds ago. But despite all these wonderful things I feel so sad. My husband called My surgeon who said depression can be a complication. I am not sure that we really know all the reasons. I haven't started treatment yet except the Xanax I was prescribed in the ER, But I think you should know that depression after surgery can really happen and for me it was the scariest thing I have ever felt.

I am not sure any of us understand all the variables and mecanism that go into this. I was "braced" for emotional difficulties during weight loss but what shocked me I guess was it didn't really hit me until I got to goal.

It did make me reflect on the last time i was trim... 1985... I was a cute young thing and I completely FREAKED out at living in a slim body and no food to help soothe me. I have done alot better this time, and now 3 years post op I feel like I am sailing along quite happily, but i did go through some hard times. I did make a conscious effort to face the emotional turmoil and not rely on food to numb me again...

Brenda, one of the things that happens during weight loss is massive amounts of stored estrogen are released. That can definately mess with the emotional state. I hope you are feeling better soon. I am so glad you have a supportive husband - just know that this WILL get better.

I am 2.5 months out from surgery and have started having anxiety and depression. Was started on Paxil. I have never had an issue with this ever so I am really stressing out.

Kaninag- I went through the biggest depression I ever had in my life at 2.5 months after surgery. Since then I started medication which helped but after about 2 months of the depression it just resolved. I have now gone off my medication and have been emotionally stable.. and getting thinner ever since. Partly I just got used to how I eat. Partly I was able to start eating more different foods and partly... I think my body got used to the changes. Things are not always perfect but that really bad time is in the past. I hope that you can see past the here and now and know that it will get greater later.

God bless.

That's why its a requirement for you to speak with a psychologist before you even get approved for surgery so that they can determine if you are mentally prepared for the changes that will occur post op. When I first saw the psychologist she had me take a personality test and follow up with her for results. Assuming I answered correctly because I'm almost 2 mos post op...lol!!!

I had to laugh. I was reading that article while eating dark chocolate with some unsalted peanuts. I did have just Protein for breakfast: scrambled egg, a piece of bacon, and a few bites of Tomato. But for lunch I had a spinach salad with a homemade bean salad made with salsa and 3 kinds of Beans, fresh mushroom, yellow pepper, cukes, tomato, and carrot. For dinner tonight I am having baked eggplant stuffed with lean ground beef and veggies. In a days time, I don't eat as many carbs as I used to, but I will eat enough to stay out of ketosis. I call BS on that article, too.

I was started on meds as well and am feeling tons better! Even though we are required to do psych evals doesn't mean that we won't have problems. I have NEVER EVER had trouble with anxiety and I was a revision from lap band. BUT I had a cardiac complication post surgery and I think that was my trigger.